Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Willys Gasser

Been working on this AMT Willys gasser. Using Hemi engine from one of the Revell Willys kits. Got part of the wiring done yesterday. Paint is all three shades of Testors Extreme Lacquers blues. Cleared with Extreme Lacquer wet look clear. Polished with polishing kit.  Blended with spray cans , no airbrush .Chassis  painted with Tamiya semi-gloss black. Retired now trying to get back into the hobby. Thanks for looking.

DSCN1705.JPG

DSCN1714.JPG

Edited by nitro norman
left out paint info
  • Like 1

I can sympathize, sometimes hard to stick with one project. My Deuce WIP projects themselves number thirty-two ?! Please keep us updated with photos as you are off to a great start.

Cheers Misha

20 hours ago, Chitown said:

Looks like you're finding that groove all right!

Thanks. Only problem s I've had was getting that Revell transmission to fit under the chassis ( took a lot of grinding ) and the hinge on the front of the body. Think I'll just scratchbuild one.

Going to be one fine looking Willys.  One thing you may want to be aware of is the location of the front axle, it is a bit too much to the rear,  Good luck on that kit hinge.  On mine I just used some tubing glued to the nose, bent  brass rod into a U shape through that tube and glued two more tubes to the chassis.  I slipped the two legs into those two tubes and I have an instant flip front.

003.JPG

2 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Going to be one fine looking Willys.  One thing you may want to be aware of is the location of the front axle, it is a bit too much to the rear,  Good luck on that kit hinge.  On mine I just used some tubing glued to the nose, bent  brass rod into a U shape through that tube and glued two more tubes to the chassis.  I slipped the two legs into those two tubes and I have an instant flip front.

003.JPG

Thank you my friend. I saw a hinge like that on the Speed City Resins page. I think thats what I'll do. I'm using the front axle from a Miss Deal kit, so I don't have to worry about that. Thanks a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not to good with step by step pics, but my Willys is coming along. Got most of the wiring done. Started on the seatbelts. Using the front axle from the Revell kit. Easier to add spindles for the wheels I'm using. Front clip does'nt line up well with the kit hinge , so I'll be making one with brass rod and aluminum tubing. Thanks for looking.

DSCN1771.JPG

DSCN1769.JPG

DSCN1759.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 6:24 PM, Tedly said:

The fade paint job really looks good! And the 5 spoke Americans wheels on the front are nice! Are they Speed City resins or a kit wheel? Factory chrome or Alclad?

The front wheels are from a Revell Chi Town Hustler kit. Kit chrome. Rear wheels are from an AMT Mustang funny car.