Model Cars Magazine Forum

Small block mopar

Hey guys, what kits have a decent 1/25 318/340/360 engine? I know of the amt Duster. Are there any other good ones? Right now the only two I have on hand are from the 80 RR and 75 Dart. 

I'm building a Lindberg 64 Dodge and I want be a little different. 

If you're aiming for a stock engine , you'll need a 'Poly' 318 ( colloq. , "big block 318" ) . I'm not aware of any Poly 318 engines in any kit  ; only the LA series .

If you don't want for 100% accuracy ---- the AMT 1971 Duster 340 is a great start . Those old MPC small block Chrysler engines are woefully undersized ( basically , every MPC kit from c.1970-c.1980 ) .

25 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Those old MPC small block Chrysler engines are woefully undersized 

If someone has the 1/25 AMT '71 Duster 340, any of the various MPC Mopar small blocks, and a Revell '70 Cuda AAR 340 they could take pics of side by side, maybe we could determine which is closest to (note I didn't say THE most) accurate.

Even better would be the AMT '71 Duster 340's single 4-bbl intake manifold on the 1/25 Revell AAR Cuda 340's block and heads.

Edited by Casey

Thanks for the help.

I'm not looking for period correct stock. The look I'm going after is if *I* were building this in 1:1. Basically just a warmed over small block to make the car move on down the road, without the expense of a hemi or wedge engine.

Perfect . I'd suggest the AMT 1971 Duster 340 in that instance . It has its shortcomings ( no PVC valve , no Crankcase Breather Cap ) but those can be easily remedied . 

For the best result : get the Street Machine version for its belt & pulley arrangement , as this iteration provides only for crank-water pump-alternator , whereas the stock version includes the arrangement for air conditioning . The stock version will provide a single 4 barrel carburetor ( Thermo-Quad ) or the Six Barrel ( three 2 barrel Holley 2300 carburetors ) .

6 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Perfect . I'd suggest the AMT 1971 Duster 340 in that instance . It has its shortcomings ( no PVC valve , no Crankcase Breather Cap ) but those can be easily remedied . 

For the best result : get the Street Machine version for its belt & pulley arrangement , as this iteration provides only for crank-water pump-alternator , whereas the stock version includes the arrangement for air conditioning . The stock version will provide a single 4 barrel carburetor ( Thermo-Quad ) or the Six Barrel ( three 2 barrel Holley 2300 carburetors ) .

Great. I'm going to a small hobby shop on Saturday that doesn't get much traffic. They have older issues of kits still priced the same as when they were issued. Hopefully I'll find one. 

Be aware the Street Machine version of the AMT '71 Duster includes a Viper-style custom intake manifold,  throttle bodies, cone style air cleaners, and Mopar Performance-ish valve covers:

ProStreetDuster02-vi.jpg

Here's what the stock Duster 340 engine parts look like:

971_Plymouth_Duster_340_Page_2-vi.jpg

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Be aware the Street Machine version of the AMT '71 Duster includes a Viper-style custom intake manifold,  throttle bodies, cone style air cleaners, and Mopar Performance-ish valve covers:

I should have amended my post to mention the non-stock nature of the Street Machine version --- I recommended it only for its belt & pulleys ; the aftermarket rocker arm covers are nice , too .

I bought the engine-only from the 'Street...' version via eBay just for its non-A/C setup and its rocker arm covers .

Thank you for the additional information . 

41 minutes ago, afx said:

I did a 340 conversion (1/25 scale) using the Revell 426 for my '70 'Cuda T/A project.  That was before Revell released the AAR 'Cuda.

DSCN4724

Is that the AMT '71 Duster 340's intake manifold?

Did the old Revell AAR Cuda's cylinder heads and valve covers need to be resized at all, or were the pretty much used as is?

13 hours ago, Casey said:

Is that the AMT '71 Duster 340's intake manifold?

Did the old Revell AAR Cuda's cylinder heads and valve covers need to be resized at all, or were the pretty much used as is?

Yes the AMT Duster intake manifold.  I had to shorten the old 1/24 scale AAR 'Cuda heads and valve covers a little to fit the 1/25 scale block. The 1/24 scale six pack intake can be made to fit as well.

DSCN4699DSCN4693

3 hours ago, afx said:

Yes the AMT Duster intake manifold.  I had to shorten the old 1/24 scale AAR 'Cuda heads and valve covers a little to fit the 1/25 scale block. The 1/24 scale six pack intake can be made to fit as well.

DSCN4699DSCN4693

The problem with this route is the fact its a big block lower end will instantly recognizable to any mopar fan worth there salt . Oil filter location and water pump design are VERY different between the 2 engine designs

4 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

The problem with this route is the fact its a big block lower end will instantly recognizable to any mopar fan worth there salt . Oil filter location and water pump design are VERY different between the 2 engine designs

I made modifications when I actually built the small block for the T/A. Those photos were taken early on just to see if the old AAR parts would fit.  It's unnecessary now with the release of the new tool AAR kit.

I made it out to that small hobby shop on Saturday. I didnt find any Amt Dusters from any of the various issues. Instead I bought some paint I was out of and Revell's stock 76 Torino. I'll check the Hobby Lobby for a Duster next time I'm in town. I started building and modifying the engine I have, and it's going pretty well, but still, I'd rather use a better one. 

10 minutes ago, Rbray47 said:

Ok, so I bought a Duster. I used the Duster's 340 in my Dodge 330. Now, what to do with the Duster? 

Anyone ever put a Hemi in a Duster? I think I can make it fit lol

Other than in Pro Stock , seldom seen . That's the beauty of the modelling world : the only limit is one's imagination (and skills) . 

The transmission tunnel of the AMT 1971 Duster is quite narrow and shallow . I did a TorqueFlite conversion about 16 years ago (from the AMT 1971 Charger R/T) , and I had to "fudge" it : I trimmed the top of the trans until it fit in the tunnel .

5 hours ago, prostreeter69 said:

You could always use the big block that came in the 330 you are building. 

That's the Hemi I'm trying to use. My kit was the "Maverick" car that is black and yellow in the box. Basically all Lindberg did was add a set of hemi heads to the wedge engine. The intake didnt fit right and had to be trimmed, but I think it'll turn out ok. 

On 6/7/2020 at 7:24 PM, Rbray47 said:

Ok, so I bought a Duster. I used the Duster's 340 in my Dodge 330. Now, what to do with the Duster? 

Anyone ever put a Hemi in a Duster? I think I can make it fit lol

If I made a viper v10 fit in a belvedere you can surely make that fit brother