Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aurora 1:32 Comet Cyclone

Maindrian Pace

On 6/28/2020 at 7:37 PM, Maindrian Pace said:

the tiny little under dash A/C unit from the MPC '65-'69 Mustang kits. Way too small for 1:25, but look how nice it looks under the 1:32 dash.

I have to admit, I always thought that was a cluster of racing gauges!

Mike, an unlikely source for some nice 1/32 scale parts is the Round 2 1/32 Lindberg double hot rod kit.  It has oodles of parts and options in it including chromies and five spoke mags.  I used them to build both the models in the box as well as to complete two very unfinished examples I already had.  They also have probably the best graphics ever put on a 1/32nd scale decal sheet!

I have over forty 1/32 scale hot rods in my collection and as you say, finding parts, especially wheels, tyres and engines, is a challenge.  Another source is cheap 1/43 or 1/32 scale diecasts in your local toy department (or weekend market or garage sale).  Sometimes a 20 inch or so rim in 1/43 doesn't look too bad under a larger 1/32 scale model.

I love what you are doing with the Comet. With adult levels of painting and assembly skills, these simple little puppies can look pretty cool, even if they never match the detail we expect in larger scales.

I've definitely used those undersized parts you speak of - the dreaded AMT Ala Kart baby hemi fits like a dream in my Aurora Scat Cat Bonneville roadster!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks for the tips Alan. Do you mean the Lindberg Show Rods kit? I've seen that one but I'll give it a closer look now, along with the diecast cars for wheels - though the selection of those lately has not been very good. The lack of plastic shows and swap meets hasn't helped either, hopefully those will come back soon.

Yep, the show rods.  Here are my two plus some of the other finished ones - it will give you an idea of the ports that are available.  The chrome is particularly high quality, something you would not have previously associated with Lindberg! The graphics n the first three photos are from the Showrods kit.

20200102_082919.jpg

20200102_082843.jpg

20200102_082957.jpg

20200102_082738.jpg

On 7/19/2020 at 10:19 PM, alan barton said:

Mike, an unlikely source for some nice 1/32 scale parts is the Round 2 1/32 Lindberg double hot rod kit.  It has oodles of parts and options in it including chromies and five spoke mags.  I used them to build both the models in the box as well as to complete two very unfinished examples I already had.  They also have probably the best graphics ever put on a 1/32nd scale decal sheet!

I have over forty 1/32 scale hot rods in my collection and as you say, finding parts, especially wheels, tyres and engines, is a challenge.  Another source is cheap 1/43 or 1/32 scale diecasts in your local toy department (or weekend market or garage sale).  Sometimes a 20 inch or so rim in 1/43 doesn't look too bad under a larger 1/32 scale model.

I love what you are doing with the Comet. With adult levels of painting and assembly skills, these simple little puppies can look pretty cool, even if they never match the detail we expect in larger scales.

I've definitely used those undersized parts you speak of - the dreaded AMT Ala Kart baby hemi fits like a dream in my Aurora Scat Cat Bonneville roadster!

Cheers

Alan

Alan, I think you will find that just about anything that can be done with 1/25-1/24 scale can still be done in 1/32 scale, it just requires a little more work sometimes (and maybe a magnifying glass)

20170427_105532.thumb.jpg.8386154362384f59017048534a3da736.jpg

Those downhill sloping pontoons were crushing my soul.

IMG_0069.thumb.jpeg.e90466ea402bb1b809f7c230f4b3ca4d.jpeg

IMG_0070.thumb.jpeg.41a03461f46188ccaeff0ac568d468af.jpeg

Once you see, you cannot unsee.

IMG_0072.thumb.jpeg.7de94bdfa7875b8f62cc9f628132f103.jpeg

This will necessitate moving the rear bumper/grille up to match the new taillight location, and why not also move the front bumper/grille up since it also sits too low. I've still convinced myself that I'm not getting carried away.

22 hours ago, cobraman said:

Coming along great !

Thanks Ray.

Moved the rear bumper/grille up to match the new 1/4 panel position. Shaved the bottoms of the 1/4s to bring them back up to the bumper. This was a big improvement, giving the back of the car the long, lean appearance that the Comets had, and that this kit was lacking. Next up is to move the front bumper/grille up which should hopefully have the same effect on the front appearance.

IMG_0075.thumb.jpeg.6a48bcc40c460df29b7dbb1b17998f2e.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

After letting the filler settle, got it in paint. Testors Wimbledon White, AKA Polar White in Mercspeak. Tamiya clear. Had to be decanted and airbrushed because the newer Testors spray cans only last a year or two before they start leaking at the seams. Interior is red with maroon carpet.

IMG_0092.thumb.jpeg.0b2527608ddbd1126e7f4e22d6d55aae.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

This has been a fascinating project to watch!  You deserve a Purple Heart for deciding to relocate those rear pontoons - I'm glad you did because it made a phenomenal difference to the accuracy of your Comet.

I mentioned before that I have been building 1/32 scale rods for many years however in the main I have just built box stock.  As a lifetime hot rodder I build these models to complete my collection - I figure the spare time I have can be invested in detailing  1/25th scale rods with more satisfaction.  I view the 1/32 scale models as a historic appendix to hot rod modelling in general.  But seeing your work, and Mike's gorgeous 34 coupe, makes me think I might just stretch myself on the next few.  I have a partially restored Aurora Ram Rod  a.k.a. Chilli Cattalo's Silver Sapphire a.k.a. Beachboys Little Deuce Coupe that deserves more love!  I also have a WIP Scat Cat 32 roadster that is going to be a Bonneville car - it too should get some extra time.

Thank you both for the inspiration and good luck with finishing your Comet.

Cheers

Alan