Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BlackSheep214

BlackSheep's '67 Flip Nose Corvette

Recommended Posts

Just finished this one off a little while ago. This kit fought me every step of the way from the windshield ill fit, excess flash due to age of mold,  busted ball joint on left side (repaired using paper clip to replace tabs points) and finally the hardware to work the flip nose is ridiculous and too flimsy to use. I didn't want bother trying to fix a replacement tabs to radiator. I purposely left off top because I glued the roll cage a tad bit too far back to fit under it.  Ah well, she looks good topless with a nice @$$...😆

 

DSCN1790.jpg


DSCN1791.jpg


DSCN1792.jpg


DSCN1793.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s a tough kit to get together, just the fact you finished it Is cool.  Looks good considering the challenges you had, well done🤙🏼

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Flatout said:

That’s a tough kit to get together, just the fact you finished it Is cool.  Looks good considering the challenges you had, well done🤙🏼

I quite agree. My memories of this kit aren't good ones. My compliments sir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great especially considering the basic kit. I never did finish mine years ago. I was going to see how well it would bounce off the wall, but used it for parts instead. I like how you did the body decals. How did the engine turnout ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulation on persevering on this wretched backbirth of a kit and dragging it across the finish line. I had to give up and glue the nose on solid on mine. Model on! B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, espo said:

Looks great especially considering the basic kit. I never did finish mine years ago. I was going to see how well it would bounce off the wall, but used it for parts instead. I like how you did the body decals. How did the engine turnout ? 

How did the engine turn out? For the most part it went well up until... well read and see for yourself when I posted the WIP in another forum site.

 

 

Engine progress thus far....

Painted using Gunze Red Steel. Looks good to me. :lashed: 

DSCN1698.jpg


Blower assembly parts...

DSCN1699.jpg


Engine completed. The blower fought me because one being the platform it's suppose to sit on was a tad long to sit properly. Once I trimmed from the back to make it sit properly, you'd thnk its all good. Wrong!!! Even though I had glued it in place and was ready to put the belt assembly on, the top pins it didn't line up evenly to the blower panel. :headbang:  :headbang:  :headbang:  :headbang: 

I needed to add a piece of something to raise it a hair. I didn't have any styrene sheets for I never saw a need for them all these years. So what to do? What to do? Looked around my bench and saw a red party cups and the idea came to mind. I cut a small piece and placed it on top of the platform, put the blower assembly on, dry fitted the belts. Perfect!!

I then proceeded to cut the same size as the platform it sits on, glued it on, glued the blower assembly on top, glued the belts and let it sit over night. This is the end result with blower assembly touched up with Molotov chrome....

DSCN1700.jpg


Exhaust pipes...

Consists of 4 pieces and really fought me for a day and  and let dry overnight. Next I super glued the malean hour or so along with a bit of swearing and cussing.

You'd think it would be easy right? Oh hell no!!! Nothing lined up straight or right. After awhile, I simply nipped off the locating tabs on the one half of the exhaust pipe. First I glued on the little nub part to one side of the pipe with super glue, let dry overnight. Next night, I glued the other half to line up uniformly to the nub. perfect! next I glued the exhaust tips on and let those set overnight.

Here's the end result prior to paint...

DSCN1701.jpg

It's funny how times had changed when I first built this kit back in the 80s. Everything went extremely well and never had issues with fit. This time around, I was having fit issues. Must be the age of the molds or something. I don't know.

Edited by BlackSheep214

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's what I mean about the exhaust headers not lining up...

 

Right side exhaust pipes partially installed and unpainted....

DSCN1703.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some odd reason the left side was easy to install. I had to snip off a tiny piece off one of the connecting pipes for it was a tad long.

DSCN1713.jpg

DSCN1714.jpg

DSCN1715.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite all the troubles you had with this one it turned out great Tom. Glad you posted 'er up here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can tell you from experience those headers are a bear! Using the header flange does help a bit though. I have that same engine in my 57 Flip Nose Chevy gasser. Nice job on your Vette.

IMG_8851rt-vi.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...