Model Cars Magazine Forum

Concrete Patio Surface Finishes

stavanzer

My house is relatively new (1986) and a tract home, not a custom build. In it's Day it was a faux "Upscale House" with High End features at a Tract Home price. (i.e. Fireplace, Vaulted Ceilings, a then trendy "Galley style Kitchen, enclosed Laundry Room and combined Brick/Stucco exterior finish.) It has a vague Semi-Mediterranean flavor to the outside, with California Spanish touches. It is a real Mishmash of styles, and pretty common for what was being built back then. It was (and STILL is!) a nice house.  Framed with 2"x6" studs and all copper plumbing, it is a real "Keeper". My Wife and I love it.

That said, there is a small (14' x 8') patio in the back with a small roof. It is a decent patio, if a bit small. But, when it was built, the concrete was done in the "Glass Smooth" surface finish that guarantee's that the slightest bit of water converts the patio into an Instant Ice Rink. I just finished my nightly watering and put my foot wrong. I saved myself tonite, at the cost of a wrenched shoulder, and an over-extended hip.  What I want to know, is what is with the mirror finish concrete in patios and walkways back then? The walkway from the driveway to the front door, has the same slippery finish, and is just as treacherous in the rainy season. Why was this done? I'm clueless as to the reason.......

I'll be looking at Lowes/Home Depot for some Non-Skid Paint or Acid Etch or something to fix this, as I'm too old to break a hip slipping on a wet patio. (not that you are ever young enough to slip, but you know what I mean) I'm tired of living with this problem and a need to fix it........

Thanks for listening to me.

I would think a lot would depend on how much you want to spend to correct your problem. I have seen some paints offered at Home Depot that have you adding some fine sand to the finish before it dries. This would give you some better footing when wet. Problems may be that in time the paint doesn't adhere over time and starts to lift becoming bad looking. There are companies that will put down a cap type layer of concrete and use big rubber stamps to put a design in the new concrete as it dries. This would be a lot more money, but as you say you both love your home and plan to stay, so maybe you can justify the expense. I suggest looking on line at the DIY Network for home improvement ideas. You are only limited by your budget kind of like everything else in life. Good luck to you on your DIY project. 

• 2 weeks later...

One idea might be sandblasting the surface. I’ve checked some YouTube videos and web sites that describe the process. Depending on the grit used, it can be done to clean, even out color, add decoration or apply a textured finish. Could be a more affordable alternative than skim coating more concrete.

I remember that finish. It was A Thing(tm) for a while. Don't know why they thought that was a good idea. 

You might be able to just etch the concrete to get rid of the slickness. I'd try that first. 

Behr makes non-skid paint in various colors. We painted a shed floor with it, and the texture is just right. It goes on quickly with a short nap roller. It's also usable on concrete, but I would certainly acid etch the concrete first. I plan on using that paint in my garage, and maybe the patio, tho I really want to stain the patio concrete instead of painting it. 

On 6/14/2020 at 1:47 AM, JohnU said:

One idea might be sandblasting the surface. I’ve checked some YouTube videos and web sites that describe the process. Depending on the grit used, it can be done to clean, even out color, add decoration or apply a textured finish. Could be a more affordable alternative than skim coating more concrete.

I can recomend this, it works really well. I've blasted some old stone built houses and they came out brilliant, just needing a little pointing to even up the cement after. Just be sure you tape up all your windows and doors before starting or you'll be finding it for years after

Edited by stitchdup