Model Cars Magazine Forum

Flip Top Cobra CSX 2196

OK, I originally thought, after seeing Gramps bondo CSX 2196, that I would back cast an old slot car body and end up with something similar.  I was not happy with the outcome so then thought about scratch building my own. I decided to base it on the Monogram 427 kit and concluded if I could get the nose to look acceptable the rest would follow.  Well I have done the nose and I'm happy with the result, it may not be perfect but I feel it captures the "look" and there is no putty in it yet!!  I'm now encouraged to have a go at the rear guards and if I can get these acceptable the rest will be easy.  I chose the Monogram 427 because I'm pretty sure I can reverse engineer the suspension back to a leaf spring pretty easily by using some AMT parts & styrene, as I have done in changing the nose.  I'll use the kit 427 and just add webers.  I'll also use the kit exhaust which, although not in the right place will look OK, I hope!!  I'll build it with an opening nose but I'm not sure about the rear or doors at the moment.

I'm cheating a fair bit here but hopeful it will look the part when finished.

Tks for looking.

Dave B

IMG_7884.JPG

IMG_7885.JPG

Have now completed the rear guards and I am happy with them.  I now have to break out the putty, fill in the existing panel lines and start scribing lines, fill & open vents, modify the front guards, etc.  Will be putting it aside for a while so I can finish my AVS Shadow.

Tks for looking

Dave B

IMG_7891.JPG

IMG_7886.JPG

IMG_7889.JPG

IMG_7890.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

After comparing the pics of the restored version to 'as raced' at Nassau I decided the nose needed reworking.  I have made the opening larger and it now has the lower front valance.  I have also scribed the new panel lines, added the scoop and given an initial undercoat to find the faults, etc.

Now it just needs bringing up to scratch.

Tks for looking

Dave B

IMG_7904.JPG

IMG_7899.JPG

IMG_7902.JPG

IMG_7903.JPG

Have added the bonnet vents.  I have glued 0.010" styrene sheet below them as a temporary measure before it goes into silicon.  Getting close now, just a couple of more goes at getting rid of the original mould lines!!.  I have included one each of my standard AMT 289 and Monogram 427 and also included my build of a Revell FIA roadster (on a widened AMT chassis but with a Monogram 1/24 small block Ford motor).

Constructive criticism appreciated before it is too late!!

Tks for looking

Dave B

IMG_7912.JPG

IMG_7908.JPG

IMG_7910.JPG

IMG_7911.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I've partially achieved what I wanted to! I made a two part silicon mould but have been unable to get the body out properly so I have reverted back to a slush mould technique for the time being. I'll work on how to remove the inner mould, maybe by cutting it diagonally through front to back so I can remove the inner rear first?   I also managed to get a flaw in the silicon so that on the front guard above the open vent there is a slight depression that looks like the resin is delaminating, it isn't, just a nuisance, not sure how I did that!! At least I am able to give my mate, who gave the a mint 289 AMT body to cut up, a reasonable fliptop.

Anyway I now have to remove the fliptop's front, start modifying the front suspension to a leaf spring Ala the 289 Cobra and also make a mould for the windscreen so I can vacform one.

Tks for looking

Dave B

IMG_7924.JPG

IMG_7922.JPG

IMG_7923.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Those observant ones among us may have noticed I failed to put the radiator vent in the nose prior to casting, senior moment.  Anyway I have corrected that in my build and have shot the body in  auto acrylic to find the faults.  I have yet to hinge the nose hence the spacers for the pics!!  I also have yet to finish the windscreen mould although that is close.

Anyway thanks for looking and objective criticism welcomed.

Dave B

IMG_7938.JPG

IMG_7934.JPG

IMG_7936.JPG

IMG_7937.JPG