Model Cars Magazine Forum

Normal drying time for Tamiya TS spray paint before handling ?

Hi -- kinda new to the Tamiya TS spray paints.

How long should they be left to dry before safely handling the parts ?

I'm used to Testors enamels where I would wait a week to be safe.  The Tamiya TS lacquer seems like it's faster trying, but just want to be sure before I put my fingers on some parts that I painted.

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Tamiya TS paints dry ridiculously quick . I've been using them almost exclusively for 18 years --- it dries to a safe-to-touch finish in a matter of an hour , and safe-to-handle-and jostle within 24 hours .

Wow.  OK cool.  A whole different world then the Testors enamel spray where even after 3 or 4 days it could feel like it wasn't "hard" or cured completely.

I'm fast becoming a "Tamiya convert" myself the more I use them.

My only complaint right now is availability --  TS-29 (semi-gloss black) is impossible to find around me (and online).

Also -- I've heard some caution against using the TS spray paints when the humidity is high -- what is "too high"  ??  It really doesn't say on the can.

Thanks!

32 minutes ago, Goodwrench3 said:

I've heard some caution against using the TS spray paints when the humidity is high -- what is "too high"  ??  It really doesn't say on the can.

Don’t paint while standing in the rain?. Honestly, I haven’t had any real issue with humidity while painting with Tamiya lacquers. They do dry faster in a less humid environment, but they flow better with some humidity. Some of my best paint jobs came from leaving the parts in the fridge!

I'm also a long time user of the Tamiya paint line. I have also had a hard time getting the semi gloss and flat black colors since the shutdown. What I have done in these cases is to use their gloss black and then a finish coat of either semi gloss or flat clear. This also gives you an opportunity to experiment with different shades of gloss depending on what you're trying to paint.  

3 hours ago, Goodwrench3 said:

A whole different world then the Testors enamel spray where even after 3 or 4 days it could feel like it wasn't "hard" or cured completely.

For as long as I can remember ( I've been building for more than 40 years ) , Testors spray paints have taken f-o-r-e-v-e-r to dry ! It's almost as though they're non-catalysed or some thing ! The problem's only gotten worse with time ( at least in the 80's - early 90's the paint was dry enough to handle , etc. , within a week ----- that dry time increased starting in the late 90's , ad seq. ) .

The biggest offenders in Testors line are their solid , gloss colours ( black , white , et alia ) , and especially their 60's-70's car colours ( Panther Pink [FM3] being notorious for its ridiculous flash-time ) . Maybe the California paints are different ( VOC regulations ) ? 

I still employ some Testors paints (bottle and aerosol) for certain applications and / or convenience ( Hemi Orange , etc. ) , but have mostly used Tamiya for many , many years ( one such bottle is 35 years old , and it's just as good as the day I bought it ! ) .

2 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

Don’t paint while standing in the rain?. Honestly, I haven’t had any real issue with humidity while painting with Tamiya lacquers. They do dry faster in a less humid environment, but they flow better with some humidity. Some of my best paint jobs came from leaving the parts in the fridge!

Thanks !

I ask because it seems like in other forums, when someone asks why their paint job didn't turn out well the first question that seems to follow is --  "was it humid when you painted it ?".

17 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

For as long as I can remember ( I've been building for more than 40 years ) , Testors spray paints have taken f-o-r-e-v-e-r to dry ! It's almost as though they're non-catalysed or some thing ! The problem's only gotten worse with time ( at least in the 80's - early 90's the paint was dry enough to handle , etc. , within a week ----- that dry time increased starting in the late 90's , ad seq. ) .

The biggest offenders in Testors line are their solid , gloss colours ( black , white , et alia ) , and especially their 60's-70's car colours ( Panther Pink [FM3] being notorious for its ridiculous flash-time ) . Maybe the California paints are different ( VOC regulations ) ? 

I still employ some Testors paints (bottle and aerosol) for certain applications and / or convenience ( Hemi Orange , etc. ) , but have mostly used Tamiya for many , many years ( one such bottle is 35 years old , and it's just as good as the day I bought it ! ) .

Yeah -- I'm with ya.   I've really liked the Tamiya spray paints now since I've given them an honest try.  The bottle brush paints too.   I like that I never have to worry about picking up a part and it feeling "tacky" still after several days ?

They also seem to flow out well -- and I've learned you have to go with several very light coats and everything works fine with them.

Now -- I just have to figure out which of the Tamiya TS spray paints will be the best match for my old favorite NASCAR interior color (Model Master gloss gull gray).  I say favorite because it was back around 1989-90 when it would dry properly after 3 or 4 days.

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, Goodwrench3 said:

Now -- I just have to figure out which of the Tamiya TS spray paints will be the best match for my old favorite NASCAR interior color (Model Master gloss gull gray).  I say favorite because it was back around 1989-90 when it would dry properly after 3 or 4 days.

My recommendation is TS-81 Royal Light Gray. I compared some pieces I had painted in this colour with a bottle of MM Gull Grey, and it looks like a match.

8 minutes ago, 64Comet404 said:

My recommendation is TS-81 Royal Light Gray. I compared some pieces I had painted in this colour with a bottle of MM Gull Grey, and it looks like a match.

AWESOME.   I'm a happy camper!   ?

Thanks!

I've been a fan of Tamiya rattle cans for a couple of decades now, they cost a bit more but Ive always been impressed with the smooth way they lay down and quickly dry. Hardly ever have runs or orange peel. So impressed with the final appearance I have yet to try their clear coats, even though I have bought a couple of cans. Anybody have any issues with Tamiya clear coats? How soon have you applied a final clear coat after color coats? Is it OK to wait a few days or weeks and then clear coat? Or is clearing recommended within a closer time frame?

On 6/1/2020 at 5:37 PM, 64Comet404 said:

I have used Tamiya's AS-7 Neutral Gray (USAAF). The nice thing about the Tamiya line id they also offer a Military paint line. The colors are based on the different shades and colors used by many different branches of the Military.  I have also used some of them for interiors of passenger cars. 

19 minutes ago, espo said:

I have used Tamiya's AS-7 Neutral Gray (USAAF). The nice thing about the Tamiya line id they also offer a Military paint line. The colors are based on the different shades and colors used by many different branches of the Military.  I have also used some of them for interiors of passenger cars. 

Good point -- I keep forgetting about those military spray colors.  I tend to use some of the Krylon colors for my semi tractor interiors (leather brown, brown boots, etc.).