Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1964 Olds Cutlass F85 Convertible

Casey

Not much info publicly available yet on the forthcoming 1/25 AMT Olds Cutlass F85 Convertible reissue, so let the speculation begin.

An image of the "hanger shot" was shown long ago on Round2's Collector Model blog, so we can at least see what remains:

AMT64OldsF84CVHangerShot.jpg.ccd828bd5a508ae699df80fe5a16b5db.jpg

I appears the A-pillars were sacrificed for the Funny Car issue, but most of the chrome parts appear to have survived, including at least one half of the Judson supercharger (discussed in further detail here: 

AMT64OldsCV0.jpg.d1852b08b7ec217c914afe554bedeea6.jpg

Original instruction sheet here: https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1285/amt-1964-olds-cutlass-convertible

Here's what the original box looks like, and I would expect we'll see something similar, but tweaked slightly, for the reissue box:

AMT64OldsCV1.jpg.ba5d74518c0afd3730d73aa06f4db59e.jpg

AMT64OldsCV3.jpg.bd85adab7bb88891355f95706768931e.jpg

AMT64OldsCV4.jpg.769e0470e966a5277b058692caa72c8a.jpg

AMT64OldsCV2jpg.jpg.f4964ecb37e6619f38ba6cd1e88dbaf9.jpg

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Is that a Jet-Away 2-speed behind that 330 engine ?

Maybe? It does appear to be an automatic and kind of has the correct look. Here are the two images from the above-linked Judson supercharger topic:

Jud1.jpg

Jud2.jpg

Edited by Casey

50 minutes ago, Khils said:

.....did you recently acquire one Snake?

Got that one off eBay about a decade ago. I have a resin one that I hope to get started building in the near future. Been rounding up all the pieces and I think I have everything I need. B)

37 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Got that one off eBay about a decade ago. I have a resin one that I hope to get started building in the near future. Been rounding up all the pieces and I think I have everything I need. B)

Well Thank you my friend!    ....with all the talk of the upcoming F- 85 convert......I'm feeling pretty good about a hardtop.  ?

54 minutes ago, Casey said:

It does appear to be an automatic and kind of has the correct look

Upon further research , it would appear that the Jet-Away ( 2-speed ) wasn't available until mid-1965 in the 4-4-2 ----- but the F-85 / Cutlass would be correct .

Take a look at the hanger shot and Casey's un-built kit picture. I looks like the hanger shot has an entire section of runner blocked off (or missing) that has the stock hood, wheel backs, interior retainer rings and the bucket seats. 

11 hours ago, Carmak said:

It looks like the hanger shot has an entire section of runner blocked off (or missing) that has the stock hood, wheel backs, interior retainer rings and the bucket seats. 

I want to say it was mentioned somewhere that the stock hood was missing or gone, so considering Round2 added the custom hood back into the AMT '63 Impala SS, it sounds like they were ready to apply the same effort to a less mainstream kit.

11 hours ago, Casey said:

I want to say it was mentioned somewhere that the stock hood was missing or gone, so considering Round2 added the custom hood back into the AMT '63 Impala SS, it sounds like they were ready to apply the same effort to a less mainstream kit.

I was just pointing out the missing section of runner contained a couple key elements. I expect (really hope) they will return or re-tool the stock hood and stock buckets. I also expect that they will correct the rear wheel openings and add the windshield back.

I am very excited to see this one back. The 64/65 Cutlass is a very clean attractive car.

Thanks Casey and Snake.  I didn't realize that the original issue included the cover over the interior that found its way into the altered wheelbase fumy car kit.  It looks like I may be able to replace the windshield that I'm missing on an old rebuilder project.  I may throw that Judson supercharged Olds in it as well.

It's been suggested; also the roof from the '65 Chevelle Modified Stocker.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a hardtop body from Missing Link.

Also noticed seller vintagemodelcarparts is parting an F-85 vert out on eBay right now.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Don't mean to detour this thread, but I have a question for you folks.  I picked up this R&R resin '65 Cutlass years ago that I'm assuming had its' beginning as the '64 AMT HT kit?  To my knowledge, a '65 was never made?   I'm not about to complain though....  my first car as a teenager was a two year old '65 F-85 2dr post bought from my girlfriends' sister/brother in law, and beggars can't be choosy.  This will take some massaging to make happen but hopefully it'll look ok when finished.  

IMG_5904.JPG

IMG_5907.JPG

IMG_5908.JPG

1 hour ago, hedotwo said:

Don't mean to detour this thread, but I have a question for you folks.  I picked up this R&R resin '65 Cutlass years ago that I'm assuming had its' beginning as the '64 AMT HT kit?  To my knowledge, a '65 was never made?   I'm not about to complain though....  my first car as a teenager was a two year old '65 F-85 2dr post bought from my girlfriends' sister/brother in law, and beggars can't be choosy.  This will take some massaging to make happen but hopefully it'll look ok when finished.   

I have the same resin kit... looks like it was based on the AMT '64.  There never was a '65 Cutlass kit.   MCW also makes a '65 resin kit, it looks better from the pictures.   I also have an R&R '64 Cutlass Vista Cruiser wagon.