Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1964 Olds Cutlass F85 Convertible

Casey

40 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

I posted a message with info about the new kit a couple of months back here, perhaps someone can find it and link it to this thread.....TIM 

Some discussion of this kit around March 6/7 in this thread...

6 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Some discussion of this kit around March 6/7 in this thread...

Thanks for highlighting @tim boyd's response , as he outright says : " The project involves a newly tooled body, patterned off the original annual kit, that matches up with the rest of the original kit tool.  The body is not a modification of the Streaker funny car body, it is all-new tooling.   ".

Edited by 1972coronet

Think this one and the Supernatural Chevy will be the only kits Round-2 will sell me this year, because of the following:

- Subject matter never offered before

- Subject matter which hasn't been available for about 50 years

Both aforementioned kits, show that it takes money to make money, do hope sales will reflect that.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, alexis said:

Any more news on this Olds?

It'd not supposed to be out until November or so, but early 2021 seems more reasonable to me, considering the issues with other kits Round2 has created all new bodies for.

Boy, wouldn't it be great if Round 2 can cross the 66 442 tool with the 64 Cutlass for a more detailed kit, although most of us will kit bash anyway if need be. In any case, this is a long awaited kit to look forward to.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Given the new Round 2 images of a built-up model of the new 1963 Chevy II wagon kit, several of you have asked if I have heard any updates from them on the new 1964 Cutlass convertible kit they announced a few months back.

So I asked, and this is what I was told, and given permission to pass along to you.... they are expecting to see the latest pre-production sample of the Olds F-85 convertible any day now. On the last test shots, one of the original 1964 annual kit tool parts didn’t quite meet their expectations when fit into the newly tooled body.  Round 2 chose to improve/refine the appearance and it of course delayed things. It’s not going to make it for the end of the year at this point, but "hopefully very early in the new year".

Like many of you, I can't wait for this one!

Cheers....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Great news Tim! Thank you for the update on this long-awaited kit!  Not wanting to start a rumor here, but I wonder if the part that needed "refinement" was the interior tub and along with getting it to better-fit the newly-tooled body they will be enhancing the inner door panel detail as well... I can hope can't I?!?!?

2 hours ago, '70 Grande said:

Great news Tim! Thank you for the update on this long-awaited kit!  Not wanting to start a rumor here, but I wonder if the part that needed "refinement" was the interior tub and along with getting it to better-fit the newly-tooled body they will be enhancing the inner door panel detail as well... I can hope can't I?!?!?

Either that or the firewall seem likely subjects. It'd be cool if they could throw in the '65 GTO roof and back glass for us hardtop fans, if it were a good fit.

I have been designing small multi-piece injection molded medical components for nearly 30 years. I use many of the same tool houses AMT/MPC/ERTL/RC2 used in and around Dyersville, IA and I have worked through scores of fit problems with injection molded parts. It is a whole lot of no fun. I am very happy Round 2 is taking the time to correct things. 

Carmak