Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1964 Olds Cutlass F85 Convertible

Casey

On 12/19/2020 at 7:21 PM, tim boyd said:

Eric...the chassis/suspension/engine assemblies for both the Wild Dream and King T kits are still around.  They've reappeared in various forms countless times under various MPC show rod kits, as well as their "Monster" kits series.   

The Wild Dream and King T bodies and interiors, however, and to the best of my knowledge, only saw two issues (the original AMT Double Kit in 1965, and the individual two MPC kits that appeared a year later in 1966).  As to whether those body inserts still exist, anybody knows, but my guess is probably not.  

Best....TIM 

Update....believe it or not (l'm saying that to myself as much as anyone), the King T front/rear fender and running board unit was repurposed for the late 1970's MPC Lil' Evil T kit, which was their prior "Switchers" '25T kit with new box art and the addition of the new fender running board unit. 

For the Lil' Evil T version., MPC replaced the tufted running board upholstery with the stamped metal design and an integral step plate on each side, and they raised the rear portion of the floorboard.   Otherwise the piece was identical to the King T piece.  

Ahhh this hobby.  Just when you thought you knew (mostly) everything....TIM 

On 12/19/2020 at 1:08 PM, Eric T said:

Just found out that Round 2 is re-issuing the 1964 Old's F-85 Convertible kit, in March of 2021.  Too Bad I have an original issue kit but with 20% of the parts off the sprues. I think the value just took a nose dive. Well I think that I will build this one stock and get the new issue to build the Race version with the Judson Super chargers. My kit is 100% complete so if Round 2 leaves any custom or race parts out, I will have them. Just need some decent decals, since mine are useless at at 57 years of age. I never expected to see this kit available again ever. Ditto on the new 1963 Nova wagon. My wish is to have Round 2 re release the AMT " Wild Dream" and "Uncertain T" double kit, if it still exists. Anyone know if it does ?

AMT-R2-1200-2.jpg

Cruising thru the thread as I'm extremely interested in the kit and just noticed a crazy coincidence................What are the odds of two Erics in the Little River, SC area on here?  I used to live next to the BB&T there.

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

When ERTL reissued the 1963 Impala in 1987 all the collectors took the gas pipe;$200 down to $50 in one short stroke. I am happy for the builders that just want the kit. 

There's room enough for collectors, builders, and everyone in between. This forthcoming kit is not a re-issue of the original, so original issue kits will still hold significant value for those who prefer to seek them out. Plus, we still don't know if a hardtop version in in the works, either, so for those who don't care for convertibles and don't wish to graft on a hardtop from the '65 GTO or another kit, this kit might not satisfy them.

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

There's room enough for collectors, builders, and everyone in between. This forthcoming kit is not a re-issue of the original, so original issue kits will still hold significant value for those who prefer to seek them out. Plus, we still don't know if a hardtop version in in the works, either, so for those who don't care for convertibles and don't wish to graft on a hardtop from the '65 GTO or another kit, this kit might not satisfy them.

What you say is true. I think it is terrific Round2 is bringing the kit back in one form or another

17 minutes ago, Casey said:

Plus, we still don't know if a hardtop version in in the works, either, so for those who don't care for convertibles and don't wish to graft on a hardtop from the '65 GTO or another kit, this kit might not satisfy them.

Well, there is a certain very reputable resin caster of high regard and quality who has a hardtop Cutlass body in development . . . it should be ready just in time.

??

1 hour ago, Danno said:

Well, there is a certain very reputable resin caster of high regard and quality who has a hardtop Cutlass body in development . . . it should be ready just in time.

??

I already have a VERY nice '64 Cutlass hardtop resin body--had it for a few years now. I have no idea who did it, but I'm hoping to build it this year. 

On 12/22/2020 at 9:23 PM, tim boyd said:

For the Lil' Evil T version., MPC replaced the tufted running board upholstery with the stamped metal design and an integral step plate on each side, and they raised the rear portion of the floorboard.   Otherwise the piece was identical to the King T piece.  

Ahhh this hobby.  Just when you thought you knew (mostly) everything....TIM 

The running boards were revised to the stock appearance when the fender unit was used in the Carl Casper Paddy Wagon kit.  The chassis, Chevy engine, and some other parts from the King T were used also.  I believe the fenders and chassis were used again under a fictional show rod (Night Crawler?) with a "werewolf head" body before the fenders were reworked for the Evil T.  The Night Crawler wasn't reissued by Ertl in the Nineties alongside the Creepy T and the third car (can't remember the name of it) that was based on the Stroker McGurk Phone Booth T.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

The running boards were revised to the stock appearance when the fender unit was used in the Carl Casper Paddy Wagon kit.  The chassis, Chevy engine, and some other parts from the King T were used also.  I believe the fenders and chassis were used again under a fictional show rod (Night Crawler?) with a "werewolf head" body before the fenders were reworked for the Evil T.  The Night Crawler wasn't reissued by Ertl in the Nineties alongside the Creepy T and the third car (can't remember the name of it) that was based on the Stroker McGurk Phone Booth T.

Yessir. The Paddy Wagon had quite a lot of KT in it. One hit wonder but fun kit. The Night Crawler had KT bits, not reissued. The Phone Booth bits were in Mummy Machine, waste of tool but perhaps backdate possible. 
Triple Blower in Creepy T fun show rod bit. 
They generated a lot of different kits off KT/WD kit. Not all accurate, but not awful. 

12 hours ago, Mark said:

Thanks for the clarification, Mark.  Knew about the Paddy Wagon link to King T, but did not think the fender unit was revised at that time.  

And I thought the Night Crawler was reissued with the others, and that I bought several when that happened.  Will go back to the stash and see if my memory is correct or not (although I wouldn't bet against yours!).   

Cheers....TIM   

2 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

Me too! The only way we will ever see a 1/25 1965 Olds 442.

Bob,

Hopefully Round2 will (eventually) prove you wrong.  I didn't buy the resin version since the bumpers aren't chromed. 

Edited by Motor City

On 12/19/2020 at 1:08 PM, Eric T said:

. My wish is to have Round 2 re release the AMT " Wild Dream" and "Uncertain T" double kit, if it still exists. Anyone know if it does ?

The Uncertain T was a Monogram tool, said to have been scrapped long, long ago. I agree with you that it would be nice to have the King T and Wild Dream back in their original forms, though. 

• 1 month later...