Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1964 Olds Cutlass F85 Convertible

Casey

12 hours ago, Casey said:

I'd say the odds are better than maybe considering the amount of work they have performed to bring this subject back to life, albeit in not-exactly-original form.

I remember Dave Metzner stating in a podcast (Episode 20 - Dave Metzner, Product Development Manager, Moebius Models — Model Car Podcast)  that ragtops don't sell, so.....

2 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

I remember Dave Metzner stating in a podcast (Episode 20 - Dave Metzner, Product Development Manager, Moebius Models — Model Car Podcast)  that ragtops don't sell, so.....

Interesting.....Ed Sexton has told me the same thing several times.

I hope with the new Olds convert kit, they are proven wrong.....Round 2 needs good sales of this kit to justify finishing the development of the derivative kit(s) they have been discussing....TIM 

15 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Interesting.....Ed Sexton has told me the same thing several times.

I hope with the new Olds convert kit, they are proven wrong.....Round 2 needs good sales of this kit to justify finishing the development of the derivative kit(s) they have been discussing....TIM 

What I'm hinting to here is, that these day's there's not much room for one trick pony's....so it would not surprise me a second version was planned from the get go, for max ROI, at least that's what I would do.

3 hours ago, Rodent said:

If they do a Holiday version of this, I wonder if they will tool a correct interior bucket, or if we will have a hardtop with a convertible interior, just like in the old days?

That doesn't bother me in the least. Never has, never will. 

29 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

That doesn't bother me in the least. Never has, never will. 

Well, I have a spare 65 GTO hardtop in the stash. Not sure if my first attempt will be a convertible or grafting the GTO hardtop on to the Olds. There is enough about this kit that screams "1964" that I probably won't care either.

Notice that the Bucket Seats, Tim B. speculated about do NOT appear in the hanger shot. So, his supposition that the seats are newly tooled holds water.

It also makes me me thirst for more Hanger Shot pics. Just What else is lurking in there?

Edited by alexis

57 minutes ago, alexis said:

Notice that the Bucket Seats, Tim B. speculated about do NOT appear in the hanger shot. So, his supposition that the seats are newly tooled holds water.

Stock and custom buckets were re-created.  You can see the parts in Tim's pics on a section of sprue which is noticeably different than the original bits.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, keyser said:

Stephen’s doesn’t have 442 on list as of last pm. 
Casey, your crystal ball works great. 😎🤣

Canadians will be apologizing for making it public first. 😄 Just happened to see it listed last night. I was a bit surprised to see it so soon, but glad they decided to release a Hardtop.

Edited by Casey

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

Well; sorta available now... if you're willing to pay that crazy Ebay price and have it ship from Japan!

Exact menudo . I ordered one from Model Roundup about ~one month ago ; I'm personally in no hurry to receive it . 

Thank you never-the-less , @Casey , for posting the availability of this long-awaited beauty !

Based on the estimated shipping time of the end of May/beginning of June, and the fact the kit has no firm release date in Japan (as compared to being on the release list for April here) I'm guessing several people either think they got a "cheap" original kit, or paid for an exceptionally expensive pre-order.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...