Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1964 Olds Cutlass F85 Convertible

Casey

On 3/24/2021 at 12:11 AM, charlie8575 said:

Holy smokes! Expensive pre-order is right!image.png.785dda63849127e51e7a8f63041f3f4d.png

Sellers pop these listings out hoping to catch people off guard who don’t know about the new kit and believe they just latched onto an original at a great price. 

For instance this listing is in the “Vintage Kit” category with absolute no mention it’s a current kit. 

5 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Sellers pop these listings out hoping to catch people off guard who don’t know about the new kit and believe they just latched onto an original at a great price. 

For instance this listing is in the “Vintage Kit” category with absolute no mention it’s a current kit. 

Wow, what a rotten trick. Buyer beware.

Charlie Larkin

Just got mine this afternoon --- totally worth the (brief) wait ! 

I love the custom wheels ; they'll definitely find their way onto my build . 

Does anyone know if those custom wheels represent "1:1" items , or are they an AMT-exclusive-design ? 

Picked one up yesterday and I have to say I'm a little non-plussed at the very noticeable sink marks on the trunk for the rear chassis screw mounts. One of them has so little substance to it, the trunk is almost see through at the screw hole. The under-side of the sunvisors weren't polished, so they've got wavy tooling marks, two ejector pins, and no engraved detail. My body also has some flash on the front under hood areas. Engraving on the door/trunk seams are very shallow, and the side molding that needs to be chromed is very weak. 

All of it is picking nits I know, but for a completely new body tool, it feels rushed and not quite completely refined. 

Edited by niteowl7710

21 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

I agree. A collector might get very mad finding they were bait and switched

If said collectors aen't bright enough to carefully look at the pics, well...  :huh:

If the seller is using an original kit for pics, then you've got a case.

Interesting that the custom wheels included in the kit are near matches for the magnesium wheels on the Lola GT MK6 although the knock offs are different. I've used resin cast copies of these for slot car restorations (inserts on aluminum rims) but nice to have an excuse to pick up a few kits. Also, I've never been able to find the manufacturer for these so perhaps they were a Lola designed wheel?  It seems odd the design would end up in a mid sized GM kit.

Patrick-Stevenson-Lola-GT-Mk6-2-1000x574.jpg

Edited by Phirewriter

On 4/30/2021 at 4:22 PM, ranma said:

My copy came in the mail today, And I ordered it from an ebay seller just two days ago. One issue with this kit is that the tires are quite loose on the wheel's (rim front and wheel back's.

I started to fit this kit before painting and found the following issues;

The wheelbacks are too small and the tires flop off

The chassis screws are too small and only 2 fasten end to the body

There are tabs for the hood clip but there is no clip

All fixable items, but i makes me think that nobody at Round2 assembled this kit before shipping. Maybe the did but said "oh ####!" and thought nobody will notice?

Got mine today and it has the small sink marks on the trunk lid. Better than I expected, but not something I want to spend even 10 minutes on with a "new" tool. Still haven't decided on a color or build style.

Body is all new.  The original (now funny car) body has had all of the panel lines (doors, trunk) wiped off, I don't think it would be possible to put those back as they would be raised areas on the individual sections of the body tooling.