Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1964 Olds Cutlass F85 Convertible

Casey

My local HobLob just got this in.

$29.99 + 40% off. For a model that hasn't been available for around 50 years. 

The fact that Round 2 put up money to fix this one and still sells it for the same price as the other kits, says a lot about their long term vision for the company. 

I feel like I just got an old, sealed annual kit that I just found on a forgotten shelf, in some out of the way hobby store. When I picked it up, I got the same giddy feeling that I had when I was a young kid!

I'm definitely buying a few more of these. One, because I have many ideas for this one. And Two, because I want to support the company that's doing so much to make this hobby more enjoyable. I want them to know they did the right thing by resurrecting this old tool.

Scratch this one off the Holy Grail list, we now have this one to keep bringing back for the future. 

• 4 weeks later...

Someone recently mentioned about using the frame and chassis from the AMT 66 442 W30 kit.  Looks like those parts fit fine.  Maybe the only thing to do is cut down the two screw posts that are at the underside of the trunk on 64 body.  Here are pics.

chassis 1.jpg

chassis 2.jpg

On 5/13/2021 at 9:20 AM, Snake45 said:

This is a trick I've had to use several times in the last few months when trying to mate parts-box mongrel wheels with parts-box mongrel tires. On the most recent, it took four or five or maybe six layers of wrap to gitter done, but gitter done I did, and it doesn't show at all on the finished model. B)

Mongrel wheels and tires... apt description.

I recently made a way to solve that problem on my builds.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/162224-custom-wheel-hoops-made-on-taig-mini-lathe/

On 6/1/2020 at 2:01 PM, Casey said:

Pics of the AMT Olds F-85 Funny Car box. Who knows, perhaps a reissue of this version will follow?

AMTOldsFC1.jpg.5ddb0565db75875410b47d8fba371308.jpg

AMTOldsFC2.jpg.8286cb0cfb966cb26abebd758fd7c7ad.jpg

AMTOldsFC3.jpg.dd2751ecd81edc8214bf7552e2d69bd0.jpg

Anyone going to turn their reissue 64 Cutlass kit into the Streaker drag car.?

On 6/27/2021 at 1:39 PM, GMP440 said:

Anyone going to turn their reissue 64 Cutlass kit into the Streaker drag car.?

Not a Streaker, but I am building a salts flat version. It's pretty much a slammer, or perhaps a study for a more detailed build in the future.

64 Olds Front Left 2.jpg

64 Olds Top Rear B.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If Im out this weekend .I may hit my local HL and see if they have one of these.

I REALLY dont need any more kits . BUT, In the past couple years this is the only one they've brought  out that makes me even think about buying something

On another board one of the members utilized these parts on an AMT '65 GTO to great effect. It was was drag themed but I'm really digg'n the salt flats theme here. I bought an extra Olds to restore a Streaker AWB but going to get another to do some other racing versions.

Edited by Phirewriter

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...