Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1964 Olds Cutlass F85 Convertible

Casey

All, well and good, but can they at least tease us with pics of the Contents?  No Offense, but I've now seen a dozen photos of a 50 year old box.  I'm as nostalgic as the next guy, but c'mon, enough with just the box. 

Show us the tires. Show us this fabulous body that's been recreated. Show us the decals. Frankly, a sealed box, even of a new kit, does not really move me to reach for my wallet.  I like a nice box, but I'm buying the contents, not a 'Pretty Picture".

10 hours ago, alexis said:

All, well and good, but can they at least tease us with pics of the Contents?  No Offense, but I've now seen a dozen photos of a 50 year old box.  I'm as nostalgic as the next guy, but c'mon, enough with just the box. 

Show us the tires. Show us this fabulous body that's been recreated. Show us the decals. Frankly, a sealed box, even of a new kit, does not really move me to reach for my wallet.  I like a nice box, but I'm buying the contents, not a 'Pretty Picture".

Sneak peek posted Dec 9 to Round 2's Facebook page, and posted in this thread on page 3.

Pasted again for you convenience:

130941713_10164417669415402_7754336228624046183_o.jpg

That looks great. 

I have wanted to make a windshield-frame-less racer version of a car this era, but have never wanted to do it to an original. I wouldn't feel bad converting this one, now...

90ECCF26-F2B2-4E64-885C-7F7B571B1195_4_5005_c.jpeg

I know that's a Tempest, but...I think the straight simple body lines of the Cutlass would make a streamlined look.

Edited by Erik Smith

What would it take to build a 442? Three 442 emblems (fenders and trunk), a dual snorkel air cleaner, and the appropriate decals for said dual snorkel air cleaner?

Edit: OK, I am seeing that there was also a rear stabilizer bar. That is easy on an A-Body. I was thinking that the '65 was the first year for that.

I am seeing both of these aircleaners on '64s. Wonder what the story is?

OK, edit 2.0 -- Looks like the original kit had an automatic trans. Looking forward to Tim's dissection this weekend. I already have a spare 65 GTO roof to make a Holiday Coupe when the time comes.

79188_Engine_Web.jpg

1964-oldsmobile-cutlass-4-4-2c.jpg

Edited by Rodent

14 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Hmm. The grille and wheelcovers were on the same (chrome) tree; did the rust damage to the tool cause a partial redo?

The center of the front bumper was altered (slightly) for the funny car, and the headlights were smoothed over to simulate covers.  Rather than alter/restore the existing part they tooled up a new piece.

7 hours ago, pack rat said:

The center of the front bumper was altered (slightly) for the funny car, and the headlights were smoothed over to simulate covers.  Rather than alter/restore the existing part they tooled up a new piece.

Which is for the better, otherwise one could end up with the same problems that manifested in the '65 GoAT back when Ertl tried to bring hat kit back to stock.

10 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Which is for the better, otherwise one could end up with the same problems that manifested in the '65 GoAT back when Ertl tried to bring hat kit back to stock.

More on the new front and rear bumpers....with images.....hopefully later today.  Update...and here's the link to the (hopefully) whole story...TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

"Edit: OK, I am seeing that there was also a rear stabilizer bar. That is easy on an A-Body. I was thinking that the '65 was the first year for that."

The '64 442 also came standard with a rear stabilizer bar as part of its police package, which made the handling better than a GTO.  It also had a 330 cubic inch engine rated at 310 horsepower vs. the Cutlass 290 horsepower engine.    I agree that while they were tooling new parts for this kit that the unique 442 parts (rear stabilizer bar, emblems, and dual-snorkel air cleaner) should have been included.  Maybe Round 2 will come out with a separate 442 kit and eventually do a '65 442 kit!

By the way,, here is the first 442 ad, of which at least one 4-door sedan was built.

1964 Original 442 Ad 11"x17" | Print Ads | hobbyDB

49 minutes ago, Motor City said:

Maybe Round 2 will come out with a separate 442 kit and eventually do a '65 442 kit!

I'd say the odds are better than maybe considering the amount of work they have performed to bring this subject back to life, albeit in not-exactly-original form.

Edited by Casey

4 minutes ago, Motor City said:

along with a Vista Cruiser

That might be a bit of a stretch.

4 minutes ago, Motor City said:

restoration of the '65 Dynamic 88 tooling to make Starfire, Jetstar 1, and/or Dynamic/Delta 88 versions would also be nice 

I don't know all the differences and changes which would be required to recreate the '65, but I think a '64 F-85 Cutlass Hardtop is much more reasonable. Frankly, if that happens, it may be the only other variation we see. I don't get the sense the '64 Olds F-85 Cutlass has a huge following, so of correct, it wouldn't make much sense for Round2 to invest in another, significantly different (i.e. all new body and bumpers, interior, etc.) kit just to reuse the design work for the redone '64 F-85.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I don't know all the differences and changes which would be required to recreate the '65, but I think a '64 F-85 Cutlass Hardtop is much more reasonable. Frankly, if that happens, it may be the only other variation we see. I don't get the sense the '64 Olds F-85 Cutlass has a huge following, so of correct, it wouldn't make much sense for Round2 to invest in another, significantly different (i.e. all new body and bumpers, interior, etc.) kit just to reuse the design work for the redone '64 F-85.

Model Car World makes a nice resin 1965 442. For that reason, there is no need for Round 2 to make one

5 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm assuming the '64 hardtop is a given, but who knows?  We can have fun speculating.

3 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

Model Car World makes a nice resin 1965 442. For that reason, there is no need for Round 2 to make one

As I recall, this doesn't come with plated parts, and has vacuum-formed glass, so that's a deal breaker for some of us.

7 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

No model company is going to base their kit decisions on whether or not there's a resin kit available, it's two entirely separate market unless MCW starts getting carried at HobbyLobby.