Model Cars Magazine Forum

Opinions wanted-future project

I was moving around some boxes today, when I came across this ‘62 Lancer. This kit has been one I have wanted to get on the bench for a while, but I really don’t like the wheels and tires that came in the box. I did have this aftermarket set of rims and tires which fit the fenders, and it looks like it has potential. What do you think?

280D54C8-52CA-4DC2-A943-4D8845CD74AA.jpeg

image.jpg

I'd vote no on the Corvette(?) wheels in the first pic. Something less busy looking, with five spokes would help, as the Lancer body already has plenty of curve, dips, and edge to keep he eyes busy. Adding multi-spoke wheels will only clutter the look up further IMHO.

28 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'd vote no on the Corvette(?) wheels in the first pic. Something less busy looking, with five spokes would help, as the Lancer body already has plenty of curve, dips, and edge to keep he eyes busy. Adding multi-spoke wheels will only clutter the look up further IMHO.

I don’t have a small modern set of five spokes, so here is what it would look like with a set of vintage mags. The second picture shows some of the tires I have here. From left to right, AMT compact tire, Revell wheel and tire, and the Aoshima 17” BBS wheel and tire. 19’s are way too big!

06111620-7425-44A6-B342-9C307EBF943A.jpeg

A174DE96-56AA-419B-AF7D-7B67866B2787.jpeg

Since the 1:1 car had 13" wheels and tires which did look small by the way, something in a scale 15' would be the best proportion for after market wheels. The AMT Corvair kit offered some chromed dish slotted wheels and to make the tires wider they had a plastic piece that went between the rim and the rubber tire with raised lettering that you could detail if you liked. I have always liked the Lancer and Valiant cars from this era so I look forward to seeing your build which ever way you go with it.     

Yes, the Revell wheels look a bit undersized. Maybe check into the deep chrome reverse 13" wheels from early issues of the Deora:

P1140208.JPG.ace68d11a946a1d1747f9d4c31151a96.JPG

1924753539_65novawheelstiresenginetrans.JPG.b326c004822a32ab278aa799b6f6a732.JPG

Those wheels are little jewels; they're mounted in modified Chevette plastic tires in front and resin copies of AMT compact tires (with the plastic piece that Espo mentioned) in the rear.

If you do want to go with a stock look, search out the custom wheelcovers in the old AMT '64 El Camino - they're duplicates of the stock Lancer units but they're a little larger.

102408657_64elcaminocustomwheelcovers.jpg.37fa2107e8f0880b28ce9e17c1d0719d.jpg 

If it were mine, I would get a set of Pegasus Dodge 4 bar spinners and white walls, but then again to be honest, I would do my best to find a set of close to stock wheels like Christopher's '64 El Camino suggestion.

Just my opinion, but I think the black wheels in the first pic are hideous and do nothing to enhance the body style.

PGS-1127W-2.jpg

Steve

I think if you painted the lip and face of the spokes aluminum on the first set of wheels, you would have something. You could do it easily and quickly with a Silver Sharpie to see if you like the look. This has given me an idea of what to do with that ugly '62 Dart I have.

25 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Going beyond wheels, take a look at the chassis. AMT 71 Duster or RM 68/69 Dart have great full detail chassis and engine bay detail. Once you have the car sitting on a better chassis, take a look at the wheels and tires in these kits.

I’m avoiding the chassis swap for as long as I can, Tom. My build rate is slow as it is, so adding layers of complexity to a project would doom it to the ‘never completed’ pile.

11 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Yes, the Revell wheels look a bit undersized. Maybe check into the deep chrome reverse 13" wheels from early issues of the Deora:

P1140208.JPG.ace68d11a946a1d1747f9d4c31151a96.JPG

1924753539_65novawheelstiresenginetrans.JPG.b326c004822a32ab278aa799b6f6a732.JPG

Those wheels are little jewels; they're mounted in modified Chevette plastic tires in front and resin copies of AMT compact tires (with the plastic piece that Espo mentioned) in the rear.

If you do want to go with a stock look, search out the custom wheelcovers in the old AMT '64 El Camino - they're duplicates of the stock Lancer units but they're a little larger.

102408657_64elcaminocustomwheelcovers.jpg.37fa2107e8f0880b28ce9e17c1d0719d.jpg 

I like the wheel and tire idea from the Deora. It’s a bit vintage for what I am considering, but I have thought about using those tire caps to master some new ones. I’m trying for a modified appearance for the Lancer, but those ‘64 Elco caps would be a great upgrade for my Revell ‘62 Valiant. The tires on the Lancer are so small that they can fit a rim from a Tamiya Mini Cooper!

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I think if you painted the lip and face of the spokes aluminum on the first set of wheels, you would have something. You could do it easily and quickly with a Silver Sharpie to see if you like the look. This has given me an idea of what to do with that ugly '62 Dart I have.

That was my plan if I use these wheels. The red and black is just bare plastic, so wanted to see how well the wheels and tires fit the car.

Here are some mock-ups based on some of your posts. The wheels used are some Bob Dudek five-slots, Pegasus Lancers, a set of parts box Fujimi five spokes, and Pegasus Chrome reverse wheels.

B5725CB3-7466-4502-AE4A-7E8FCD5A16BB.jpeg

3D9D6F5A-B99D-4C2C-ACA0-6F18B93123B8.jpeg

86EEFFC6-F4E0-455F-BE6F-AA28EE35ECF1.jpeg

938B9DE2-96DE-4B69-9D79-956735CF6C59.jpeg

None of those have the impact of the first set of wheels IMO. I can see it with those and a modern Hemi from a Challenger or Charger. But, that's how I look at it. You gotta do what suits you best. 

If you want something that's kinda between modern and old school, check out a set of the Pegasus Shuey wheels. Another is the Hellas. You can get them in 19 and 23". 

Edited by Plowboy

I looked online to see if I could find a pic of how I would do it, which would be mild custom, but I couldn't find any! That may tell you how many old Lancers were done up custom.... Dare to be different? The Lancer flippers, maybe some lakes pipes, nice paint, and you'll have something unique......

21 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

None of those have the impact of the first set of wheels IMO. I can see it with those and a modern Hemi from a Challenger or Charger. But, that's how I look at it. You gotta do what suits you best. 

If you want something that's kinda between modern and old school, check out a set of the Pegasus Shuey wheels. Another is the Hellas. You can get them in 19 and 23". 

I have tried a few sets of the 19” Pegasus wheels, as well as some of the Japanese rims, and they are too large for the space I have on the car. It could be done, but there would be a lot of cutting and rearranging needed to make them fit.

4 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

I looked online to see if I could find a pic of how I would do it, which would be mild custom, but I couldn't find any! That may tell you how many old Lancers were done up custom.... Dare to be different? The Lancer flippers, maybe some lakes pipes, nice paint, and you'll have something unique......

I have considered the mild custom idea, but I would want to take it a bit further with some dechroming and other modifications, and this kit is too clean. If I find a clean builder, I will probably go that route.

Honestly, I think the first pic has the stance nailed and feel the wheels and tires work too, although I’d paint the barrel part of the rims aluminum with the centers painted a light gunmetal color.  

That must be one of the few body styles that looks completely wrong sitting at anything other than at level, no matter the altitude........maybe it’s the horizontal fins combined with the hump-ish roof and deck lid.

If you want to try a more period type wheel, I’d probably use the Pegasus Chrome Reverse style wheels with the shorter narrow whites with the same stance, maybe even the same altitude as the first pic. Just please don’t go with a “Stink Bug” or worse, “Carolina Squat” stance!

Honestly, I don't like any of them, even the ones that I suggested.

Call me a purist, but I don't think that you can beat the look of the stock wheel covers on this particular car.

Everything else just looks like an after thought to me.

If I had to pick, I would without a doubt go with the chrome reverse wheels in the final photo.

Just my opinion, but the Pegasus Dodge caps would look better on a larger tire as well.

I used a set of these caps on different tires for a '60 Dodge Dart build and they look entirely different.

maxresdefault.jpg

2v23E1DP3xwUbWP.jpg

Steve

I faced a similar dilemma when I restored this one years ago.  

I wanted a factory-stock look.  The kit wheels are ridiculously small (and those Revell Goodyear tires are notorious for melting the wheels) and the AMT '64 Chevelle custom caps are way too big.

I ended up paint-detailing a set of generic Palmer (yes, I used a Palmer part!) hubcaps with vintage AMT compact tires.  Not perfect, but it looks OK on the shelf.....

zdl.JPG

za.jpg

3 hours ago, pack rat said:

I faced a similar dilemma when I restored this one years ago.  

I wanted a factory-stock look.  The kit wheels are ridiculously small (and those Revell Goodyear tires are notorious for melting the wheels) and the AMT '64 Chevelle custom caps are way too big.

I ended up paint-detailing a set of generic Palmer (yes, I used a Palmer part!) hubcaps with vintage AMT compact tires.  Not perfect, but it looks OK on the shelf.....

That looks pretty good!

Seriously, I think nearly any "stockish" looking wheel might look pretty good.

I have a set of the custom wheels from the AMT '62 Ford that I had re-plated a few years ago.

Even these might give it a custom look without making it look like you're trying too hard.

image.jpeg.833b7456318a4e4f531be66f306eaa25.jpeg

Steve