Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Chevrolet Fleetside

I have had it with schizophrenic paint. The last few times I used Duplicolor primer, it crazed the plastic so I switched to Tremclad. It worked well on the Porsche 918 I just completed. So this time I used it on my spoon tests. The first clear I used turned flat at each coat. So I switched to Duplicolor Acrylic enamel clear. First coat looked great but two of them dried not so shiny. So last night I gave them a second coat. This morning, two of them had wrinkled. If I had any hair, I'd pull it out.

IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_0318.JPG

IMG_0319.JPG

Edited by landman
Typo, as usual.

My suggestion would be to try Tamiya primer. I know it's more expensive, but save your self any further brain damage and just try using Tamiya primer since you are already using Tamiya products for your finish coat. I know many builders here are achieving some fantastic paint jobs with all kinds of different primers, but why chance having to do it all over again. I have also tried several different primers with varying degrees of success but I have never had an issue like you're describing when I have used Tamiya primer. 

2 hours ago, espo said:

My suggestion would be to try Tamiya primer. I know it's more expensive, but save your self any further brain damage and just try using Tamiya primer since you are already using Tamiya products for your finish coat. I know many builders here are achieving some fantastic paint jobs with all kinds of different primers, but why chance having to do it all over again. I have also tried several different primers with varying degrees of success but I have never had an issue like you're describing when I have used Tamiya primer. 

I ordered both the Tamyia primer and clear this morning. Now if they don't work together, I am retiring from the hobby. ?

2 hours ago, landman said:

I ordered both the Tamyia primer and clear this morning. Now if they don't work together, I am retiring from the hobby. ?

I wouldn't blame you after the headaches you have had just trying to get some paint on the body.  Tamiya paints are on back order for some colors. I have been waiting on the Flat or Matt Black and the Semi-Gloss Black. I have been using Gloss Black and then use a flat or semi gloss to get the shade I want. 

4 minutes ago, Painted Black said:

When I built my first one, I had trouble with the flange along the bottom of the windshield keeping the interior bucket from fitting correctly.

Thanks Bob. I'll do some trial fittings. Did it happen only with the first one? Were they different editions?

This will be an interesting project to watch. Good luck with the paint Pat. I hope you find a solution.  I have a '56 ford truck that had paint issues from years ago. I have put it aside and am  waiting to come across a solution to the paint problem.  when I do it will be posted on this forum. For me I thins the right clear is the answer , but we will see.

On 6/3/2020 at 12:59 PM, landman said:

I use Tamiya primer on all my builds and it's an amazing product including their paints and over coats so no problem in sight!  Good start so far Pat, but I just wondering to know if you have an engine to put under the hood... lol.

1 hour ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I use Tamiya primer on all my builds and it's an amazing product including their paints and over coats so no problem in sight!  Good start so far Pat, but I just wondering to know if you have an engine to put under the hood... lol.

I've started looking for one.?

15 hours ago, landman said:

Began masking the two-tone pattern. Any idea why they tell you to paint the lighter color first?

It is much easier to cover a light colour with a dark colour than a dark colour with a light colour.

Say your two tone was black and white. Spray the black first, then you have to do some covering with the white. Can be a challenge. Much easier to shoot the white, then cover with the black.

:)

3 hours ago, landman said:

First coat of white is on. I have to be very careful not to be too perfect, as people might think I didn't paint it myself.☺️

A while back I had two Verizon techs in my den fixing my router. They were admiring my model display case and thought it was all diecast!

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

It is much easier to cover a light colour with a dark colour than a dark colour with a light colour.

Say your two tone was black and white. Spray the black first, then you have to do some covering with the white. Can be a challenge. Much easier to shoot the white, then cover with the black.

:)

Thank you.

4 hours ago, slusher said:

Looking good Pat, didn’t know you had a build going.  What is your second color?

Thanks Carl. It won't be one of the four in the first post. I have a couple of light greens I want to try with the airbrush.

On June 7, 2020 at 8:38 PM, landman said:

Began masking the two-tone pattern. Any idea why they tell you to paint the lighter color first?

IMG_0002.JPG

Don't know. I always paint the darker color first. If you happen to get bleed through on the dark color, it's easier to fix. If you get the dark color on the light color, much tougher to fix.

Here I digress a bit. Everytime I mask a second color I go back to almost 40 years ago when I visited the guy who was painting my 31 Ford. That is him with the doors. I had helped him mask the brown so he could paint the tan. He had shown me how he reduced the tack of the tape by first putting the tape down on his pant leg. The next day I helped him remove it and he had explained that you always pull away from the joint instead of towards it or straight up to avoid pulling paint with the tape. 695632949_Byerlay2.jpg.b0d7965d43fb7cb255e7dd735e205af2.jpg

Byerlay 3.jpg

Byerlay 4.jpg

Byerlay 5.jpg

Byerlay.jpg