Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions about 1968 Hemi Roadrunner Super Stock

I just ordered decals to do this car using the AMT 1968 Roadrunner kit. I have a resin 727 trans, headers, a set of Cragars and ordered a set of the AMT Firestone 500 drag tires for it. My question is would this be a race Hemi, like the '68 Hemi Dart and Barracuda? Or would it have a street based inline 2x4bbl intake. I can't find any engine shots of this car or one like it. I can see from this pic it has a racing oil pan,  is there a good one in scale? Any help appreciated.

4900607-color3.jpg.5519f4cdb92b06f22395da5e392caf45.jpg

Edited by larman
Spacing

The drivers window says he was running in Super Stock C/A class. He has a Edelbrock sticker at the bottom of the front fender behind the front wheel well meaning he probably got an aluminum intake manifold for it. If it is Hemi car it would have come with an aluminum intake from the factory. I think this car came with a 440-4 bbl car but obviously you can build it anyway you want.

5 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Correct me if I'm wrong ( good chance of that ) : the Edelbrock Rat Roaster was legal in Super Stock :

edelbrock-rat-roaster.jpg.833a26e02caa8b46f2ba13ae35358325.jpg

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think he rat raster intake appeared to early 70s

My money is on the car ran a stock appearing 2 fours inline intake

36 minutes ago, Vietnam Vet67 said:

The drivers window says he was running in Super Stock C/A class. He has a Edelbrock sticker at the bottom of the front fender behind the front wheel well meaning he probably got an aluminum intake manifold for it. If it is Hemi car it would have come with an aluminum intake from the factory. I think this car came with a 440-4 bbl car but obviously you can build it anyway you want.

There were no 440 Road Runners in '68, only 383 and Hemi, so no 440 Road Runner would have been allowed in Super Stock. (I think S&M ran a 440 GTX in another class.) 

41 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Might be easier to find a picture of Sox & Martin's '68 Hemi RR engine. It's a good bet they ran the same kind of setup. 

If I get a chance, I'll see if I can find a pic in their book. 

Checked the book. No good engine pics of the '68 RR, but their '68 Cuda SS/B was cross-ram, if that means anything....:unsure:

7 minutes ago, boss 302 mustang said:

Street hemis ran AFBs so would use the Edelbrock intake.  The cross-ram was for Holleys on the race hemis.  Had to run the stock carb in Super Stock.

Hmm. That would tend to narrow it down then. Would the Edelbrock intake look stock?

Yes you have to have the same style carbs as the car was availabe with in Stock and Super Stock eliminator.
The Edelbrock Rat Roaster was at least legal in Super Super Stock 1970, Sox & Martin and Jack Werst had this intake on their SS/E-SS/EA Superbirds.

1552884045_SuperbirdSS-E001b.jpg.d26a6315e34161f39a853a7267576dca.jpg

Edited by Force

There seems to be a lot of reference out there on Dick Landy's '68 Charger Hemi super stock (and that seems to have run an inline manifold in NHRA events). If it were me, I would build this with an inline manifold- the cross rams up until that point were run in Race Hemi package cars only ('68 Dart and 'Cuda Hemi Super Stocks, '65 A-990 cars, etc.).

The prior '67 WO-23/ RO-23 Super Stock package for Belvederes and Coronets used an inline set up. It was a stock-looking manifold, supposedly modified by Arlen Vanke.

The '68 Hemi A body program was conceived because of complaints from the class racers that there were no "package" cars for '66, and that the '67 package cars weren't radical enough (read: light and fast), so for '68, Chrysler went all-out, using an A Body as the basis for their race package, and making the car as light as possible, with very few compromises. There was no '68 race package B-body; all Hemi B Bodies got inline intake manifolds from the factory, so presumably, that's what you had to run in '68.

4 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

There seems to be a lot of reference out there on Dick Landy's '68 Charger Hemi super stock (and that seems to have run an inline manifold in NHRA events). If it were me, I would build this with an inline manifold- the cross rams up until that point were run in Race Hemi package cars only ('68 Dart and 'Cuda Hemi Super Stocks, '65 A-990 cars, etc.).

The prior '67 WO-23/ RO-23 Super Stock package for Belvederes and Coronets used an inline set up. It was a stock-looking manifold, supposedly modified by Arlen Vanke.

The '68 Hemi A body program was conceived because of complaints from the class racers that there were no "package" cars for '66, and that the '67 package cars weren't radical enough (read: light and fast), so for '68, Chrysler went all-out, using an A Body as the basis for their race package, and making the car as light as possible, with very few compromises. There was no '68 race package B-body; all Hemi B Bodies got inline intake manifolds from the factory, so presumably, that's what you had to run in '68.

Thanks for all the responses! I am going with the stock intake and carbs from the kit. I have a good set of headers and a set of Johan M/T valve covers, which may not be right, but I like the way they look and are period correct. 

5 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

The '68 Hemi A body program was conceived because of complaints from the class racers that there were no "package" cars for '66,

Except for the 1966 D-Dart ( 275hp 273 ; 4-speed ; 4.89 geared 8 3/4 ; Doug's Headers , etc. ) , which was a bit of a bust as D/Stock was a moving target . 

Some years ago --close to 30 years-- I saw photographic evidence of a '66 Coronet coupe with a 'WO21' identification number ; its destination was marked as "Dealer Drive" . 

2 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Except for the 1966 D-Dart ( 275hp 273 ; 4-speed ; 4.89 geared 8 3/4 ; Doug's Headers , etc. ) , which was a bit of a bust as D/Stock was a moving target . 

Some years ago --close to 30 years-- I saw photographic evidence of a '66 Coronet coupe with a 'WO21' identification number ; its destination was marked as "Dealer Drive" . 

For '66, it seems like most or all of the factory drag racers either stuck with their '65 cars, or used '66 B-body Hemi sedans (the Street Hemi being available in almost all body styles in '66, and not tied to certain models). The hot ticket that year was a stripped "Street Hemi" B-Body sedan. The "Dealer Drive" coupe you saw might have been evidence that the factory was either considering a Race Hemi package for '66, or that some cars were considered De Facto "Race Hemis". With The '66 D-Dart, while a cool idea, seems to have not been pushed too strongly by Chrysler, and it got practically zero attention by most drag racers.

Now the '68 A Body Hemis on the other hand- the racers must have gone bonkers when they first caught wind of that program. The excitement probably didn't last too long though- as once they took delivery, they soon realized that those cars needed a LOT of work to set up. Stories from back then indicate that while the '65 and '67 drag specials were built as somewhat ready-to-run cars with regular factory quality, the '68 package cars were provided a bit more unfinished, and not built all that well.