Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1971 Mustang Mach 1

Casey

The Boss 351 has a correct grill but the wrong bumper (73) and it did NOT have a Boss 351 engine of course.  So a grille and some decals and that was about it.  The 007 kit may or may not have the turn signals below the bumper - we shall see.  Anyone know the release date?

Edited by vamach1

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

The Boss 351 has a correct grill but the wrong bumper (73) and it did NOT have a Boss 351 engine of course.  So a grille and some decals and that was about it.  The 007 kit may or may not have the turn signals below the bumper - we shall see.  Anyone know the release date?

Correct grille? Isn't it too narrow? Designed to fit in the '73 Mustang grille opening, which in turn is set up to accommodate the large squarish headlamp bezels the '73 Mustangs had? It's those headlamp surrounds that bothered me the most in converting my AMT '71 Boss 351 into a '71 Mach I. As you can see, I painted the chrome headlamp bezels flat black, which helped. But, it's still not really right. For either a '71 Boss 351, or a '71 and '72 Mach I. 

IMG_4136.JPG

IMG_4137.JPG

IMG_4138.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

1 minute ago, unclescott58 said:

Correct grill? Isn't it too narrow? Designed to fit in the '73 Mustang grill opening, which in turn is set up to accommodate the large squarish headlamp bezels the '73 Mustangs had? It's those headlamp surrounds that bothered me the most in converting my AMT '71 Boss 351 into a '71 Mach I. As you can see, I painted the chrome headlamp bezels flat black, which helped. But, it's still not really right. For either a '71 Boss 351, or a '71 and '72 Mach I. 

IMG_4136.JPG

Yes I agree the grill is far from perfect and yes the headlight area is black except on a 73 non Mach1 and I detest seeing the 73 bumper on a 71-72 Mustang and of course a real Boss 351 did come the factory with a chrome front bumper.  For the real 71-72's Mach1's you can only get a used (and pricey) rubber bumper so I have seen many Mach1's with a chome one - anohter thing that drives me nuts.  There are many issues with the AMT and MPC versions that I have mentioned every time I build either version.  The grilles from Kevin @ Missing Link are a big improvement.  Since I plan to end up building twenty 71-73 Mustang as much as I would like every one to be perfect with replacement parts for every single one it's not too practical.  If you are build just a few version then by all means there is a lot of improvements that can be made for both.  I will never pay collector prices $50-$150 for either kit knowing that there are just a few parts that are different and knowing at least four different resin casters that will make copies of various parts so I have accumulated a pretty good supply of better or copies of original parts.  I basically laid out all those parts for each build and the first four I did were done with mostly the original kit parts but as I chip away at the next dozen or so and I learn the quirks about building them and whether I will include a 302 or 351 or 429 engine and whether it will it be an automatic of four speed etc. my forthcoming builds will benefit from replacing more and more of the kit parts with resin parts or engines from other kits.  Stay tuned.

I hate to beat a dead horse. But, here are the box art for the original MPC and AMT annuals, and the later MPC/AMT Bos 351s. Again, you can see on the box art how the '73 Mustangs changed in appearance in more than just the front bumper and the grille. The headlamp bezels were also changed. Which I really disliked. 

IMG_4149.JPG

IMG_4151.JPG

IMG_4152.JPG

IMG_4144.JPG

IMG_4154.JPG

7 minutes ago, 64Comet404 said:

Please Round 2, give us a new ‘71-3 Mustang kit! The MPC kit tooling deserves to be retired and sent to the nearest smelter, and the AMT kit would need too much work to return to stock. 

I'm okay with MPC keeping the '73 Mustang kit just the way it is in it's latest release, as a '73 Mustang. What I don't like is them doing trying to pass that kit off was a '71 or '72 with just a different grille insert. 

Edited by unclescott58

35 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

I hate to beat a dead horse. But, here are the box art for the original MPC and AMT annuals, and the later MPC/AMT Bos 351s. Again, you can see on the box art how the '73 Mustangs changed in appearance in more than just the front bumper and the grille. The headlamp bezels were also changed. Which I really disliked. 

As did the fenders in the headlamp area

6 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

Please Round 2, give us a new ‘71-3 Mustang kit! The MPC kit tooling deserves to be retired and sent to the nearest smelter, and the AMT kit would need too much work to return to stock. 

Agree 100%.

6 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

As did the fenders in the headlamp area

Yes partly due to styling and mainly due the government mandated larger front bumper that I always thought was ugly.  Not to beat a dead ponycar but the decals are weird in the 73 MPC kit (they are not for a Mach1) but actually the Nascar GrandAm decals are pretty close to the Wayne Andrews race car.  The hood vents really annoy me because they are someone's imagination and never appeared on ANY 71-73 Mustang.

Edited by vamach1

9 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Yes partly due to styling and mainly due the government mandated larger front bumper that I always thought was ugly.  Not to beat a dead ponycar but the decals are weird in the 73 MPC kit (they are not for a Mach1) but actually the Nascar GrandAm decals are pretty close to the Wayne Andrews race car.  The hood vents really annoy me because they are someone's imagination and never appeared on ANY 71-73 Mustang.

Of course Keith Marks make proper '73 Mach I decals. And of course I have set waiting for the time when I get around to building Round 2 most recent release of the kit, which I have in the "to do pile." 

2 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Of course Keith Marks make proper '73 Mach I decals. And of course I have set waiting for the time when I get around to building Round 2 most recent release of the kit, which I have in the "to do pile." 

Yes he does and thanks goodness for that along with Rayskits does many different decal sheets for various 71-73 Mustangs.

7 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Yes I agree the grill is far from perfect and yes the headlight area is black except on a 73 non Mach1 and I detest seeing the 73 bumper on a 71-72 Mustang and of course a real Boss 351 did come the factory with a chrome front bumper.  For the real 71-72's Mach1's you can only get a used (and pricey) rubber bumper so I have seen many Mach1's with a chome one - anohter thing that drives me nuts.  There are many issues with the AMT and MPC versions that I have mentioned every time I build either version.  The grilles from Kevin @ Missing Link are a big improvement.  Since I plan to end up building twenty 71-73 Mustang as much as I would like every one to be perfect with replacement parts for every single one it's not too practical.  If you are build just a few version then by all means there is a lot of improvements that can be made for both.  I will never pay collector prices $50-$150 for either kit knowing that there are just a few parts that are different and knowing at least four different resin casters that will make copies of various parts so I have accumulated a pretty good supply of better or copies of original parts.  I basically laid out all those parts for each build and the first four I did were done with mostly the original kit parts but as I chip away at the next dozen or so and I learn the quirks about building them and whether I will include a 302 or 351 or 429 engine and whether it will it be an automatic of four speed etc. my forthcoming builds will benefit from replacing more and more of the kit parts with resin parts or engines from other kits.  Stay tuned.

You mention that Kevin @ Missing Link has a more correct grille for the '71 - '72 Mustang Mach I. In doing a search on the web I can nothing on it. Do you have any photos showing what it looks like, in case it's need for correcting the front end of the upcoming '71 Bond Mustang?

17 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

You mention that Kevin @ Missing Link has a more correct grille for the '71 - '72 Mustang Mach I. In doing a search on the web I can nothing on it. Do you have any photos showing what it looks like, in case it's need for correcting the front end of the upcoming '71 Bond Mustang?

Here is his business card.  I found the Mach1 style grilles in my collection.  The standard grille he makes is above the card.  That grille would be for a Grande, etc.  Also pictured are the Boss 351 grille from Kevin and one without a bumper (for a Mach1) since the kit bumper (If you have a correct one) would be body color.

IMG_8061.PNG

IMG_8062.JPG

Edited by vamach1

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

Thank you Rex for the above info, and the look at the non Mach I/Boss 351 grille. It looks pretty good. Does it come chrome plated? 

Yes they do.  I should get a 10% comission on Kevin Lutz's sales. ?

On 6/6/2020 at 4:13 PM, vamach1 said:

" Since I plan to end up building twenty 71-73 Mustang as much as I would like every one to be perfect with replacement parts for every single one it's not too practical."  

Rex,

Just out of curiosity, why do you plan to build so many variations?

59 minutes ago, Motor City said:

Rex,

Just out of curiosity, why do you plan to build so many variations?

Simple answer is there's a huge variety for these year Mustangs and I have owned five real 71-73 Mustangs.

So here's a long list but by all means not complete ( not including color variations)

1971: Boss 351, Mach1 (351), 007 Mach1, 429 CJ with ram air, plain sportsroof, Mexican version, Shelby Europa, Drag car (Minuteman)

1972: 351 HO Mach1, Mach1 351, sprint sportsroof,  convertible, GrandAam racer and maybe a Grande

1973: Eleanor, Mach1, sportsroof, convertible, Japanese police car, coupe with a 302, Warren Tope racer

IMG_8064.JPG

Edited by vamach1

Rex,

All I can say is, Wow!  That's a lot of variations.  That's the only Mustang generation I don't have. 

My brother-in-law bought a new '71 or '72 Sportsroof in Ford blue.  Cool car, but you couldn't see out of the back.  The neighbor next to my grandparents bought a new '71 Mach 1 in Grabber Green.  My aunt and uncle had an avocado '73 Grande.  

1 minute ago, Motor City said:

Rex,

All I can say is, Wow!  That's a lot of variations.  That's the only Mustang generation I don't have. 

My brother-in-law bought a new '71 or '72 Sportsroof in Ford blue.  Cool car, but you couldn't see out of the back.  The neighbor next to my grandparents bought a new '71 Mach 1 in Grabber Green.  My aunt and uncle had an avocado '73 Grande.  

I always thought they were a good value (cost wise ) and still are compared to the 65-70 Mustangs.   Although they of course are a little larger than a 69/70 I have like them since the first one I bought in about 1977.  I have done all sorts of road trips and open track events and drag racing and autocrossing in my current Mach1.  Although it will not keep up with my 2003 Cobra, it still get looks anywhere I go and my kids love the sound even if it drives like an old car and squeaks and does not have air conditioning.

IMG_7639.JPG

I own one as well, a '71 Mach 1. yes, they are bigger than their previous bretheren but they were an improvement over previous models in that they have a Saginaw power steering box, not the push-pull power steering Ford used through '70. Nine inch rearends and engines with more power potential ( 351c, Boss, and 429 ) made them competitive on both the street and the strip. Like everyone else, I didn't care for the '71-'73 models when they first came out, now, after owning one, I'd buy a second one.

I agree, the model kits currently available fall short of being correctly replicating the '71-'72 and that's too bad. I think they have a cool look to them. Here's mine...

092015Galpin-001.jpg

6 hours ago, spike morelli said:

I own one as well, a '71 Mach 1. yes, they are bigger than their previous bretheren but they were an improvement over previous models in that they have a Saginaw power steering box, not the push-pull power steering Ford used through '70. Nine inch rearends and engines with more power potential ( 351c, Boss, and 429 ) made them competitive on both the street and the strip. Like everyone else, I didn't care for the '71-'73 models when they first came out, now, after owning one, I'd buy a second one.

I agree, the model kits currently available fall short of being correctly replicating the '71-'72 and that's too bad. I think they have a cool look to them. Here's mine...

092015Galpin-001.jpg

Very nice Mach1 that looks very stock.  The 351 2v in 1972 was a let down performance wise but you are correct on the other improvements over the 69/70 models.  1971 was the pinnacle year with the Boss 351 and 429's being sadly a one year hurrah.  I would like to find a 1972 HO Mach1 of which fewer were made than the 1971 Boss 351's.. My Mach1 has had several modifications including Koni Shocks and larger anti-sway bars, dual exhaust and a 4v intake, carb and headers.