Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1971 Mustang Mach 1

Casey

18 hours ago, LVZ2881 said:

That ‘86 issue of the blue Boss 351 was one of the first kits I ever built. I’d like to build one of these just for sentimental reasons alone.

At least we know all the inaccuracies with that kit and at least there are more resin parts available then there were back then.

• 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, gjorenby said:

Any update on when the James Bond kit might be available?  I am about to start a build using various other kits but might wait if this is coming soon...

Thanks

I was wondering the same but if you are expecting it to be any different than what’s been reissued many times since the first 1971 kit you will probably be disappointed.

On 6/6/2020 at 11:19 PM, unclescott58 said:

Of course Keith Marks make proper '73 Mach I decals. And of course I have set waiting for the time when I get around to building Round 2 most recent release of the kit, which I have in the "to do pile." 

The annual  AMT  1973 Mustang has a nice set of Stock decals. 

On 10/1/2020 at 7:53 PM, Bob Ellis said:

The annual  AMT  1973 Mustang has a nice set of Stock decals. 

If they are still any good would be my question not to mention original kits sell for $50-$100 which is way too much.

While I am at it I will mention the stripes should be black or silver.  No 71-73 Mustang came with white stripes.

A1B9A434-1CA8-449E-98E3-729DA0EE0E5C.jpeg

990BFAD2-0A30-48B5-9C0D-F143823755E2.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

21 hours ago, vamach1 said:

If they are still any good would be my question not to mention original kits sell for $50-$100 which is way too much.

While I am at it I will mention the stripes should be black or silver.  No 71-73 Mustang came with white stripes.

A1B9A434-1CA8-449E-98E3-729DA0EE0E5C.jpeg

I scanned mine with the intent to print on a laser printer

4 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

I scanned mine with the intent to print on a laser printer

If they come out nice would you consider selling them?  I have a few Keith Marks sets but as we know they are not inexpensive and include The 71/72 side stripes but not the Mach1 for the fenders or the trunk Mach1 decal for a 71/72 so I that set is not too useful unless you want or need some spares for other kits.  I’m also not sure how well the Mustang script in his set would show up on the black stripe decal.  I prefer to use a photo etch script for the script that I found on Ebay versus a decal anyway.8573C010-222A-4973-8FA2-56BC6496766B.jpeg.b949031efbeb8e667edba8480524779c.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Round2 or Revell could sell the 1971 Boss 302. One still exists and is under restoration. Apparently Ford pulled the plug at the last second and had even built up a parts catalog for it

True.  Like the 1970 engine it had the 302 Windsor block with Cleveland type heads.  You can make one (a model) with some parts swapping and decals from Rayskits.com .  Of course the original AMT Mach1 and MPC “Boss 351” are missing so many other parts that are on a real Boss that while the decals would help masquerade what is underneath and under the hood.  While waiting for the “real” Boss 351 kit Revell kit I am actually slowly working on a dark green and silver (argent) just to remind myself the lengths one has to go through to make a somewhat realistic replica of the one year only model.  The Ford guys will say there was a 72 Boss 351 and while the engine was an option that year most of the 398 R code engines probably ended up in the Mach1 package but a few were put into convertibles and coupes.  Even the salespeople were probably confused with three different 351 Cleveland engines that year were available for any Mustang model - the CJ (Q), HO (R) and 2v (H).  As for the fate of the one of one 1971 Boss 302, after Ford killed the idea they pulled the engine and put in the H code Cleveland in the car and sold it to a customer with a “revised” VIN.  I wonder if they got a discount. ?

6936AEAC-5418-4C53-8B36-DA385092D601.jpeg

On 10/2/2020 at 11:14 PM, vamach1 said:

If they come out nice would you consider selling them?  I have a few Keith Marks sets but as we know they are not inexpensive and include The 71/72 side stripes but not the Mach1 for the fenders or the trunk Mach1 decal for a 71/72 so I that set is not too useful unless you want or need some spares for other kits.  I’m also not sure how well the Mustang script in his set would show up on the black stripe decal.  I prefer to use a photo etch script for the script that I found on Ebay versus a decal anyway.8573C010-222A-4973-8FA2-56BC6496766B.jpeg.b949031efbeb8e667edba8480524779c.jpeg

Those with sharp eyes may notice the left front fender stripe for the 1973 Mach1 that goes around the side marker light is not shown on the sheet in this picture.  From Keith’s Fotki page he said it is included and the set is available in black or silver.  He may have made other changes.  I have a few sets from him but I bought them a long time ago but I have already cut the sheets up and both fender decals are there.

Maybe I should look under the original blue sticker on my door.  ?  The one thing unique about my 1972 Mach1 was it ordered for export to France but it’s a 351 H code single exhaust with a FMX automatic.  Over the last 39 years I have added headers, dual exhaust, Koni shocks, larger anti-sway bars, a 4 bbl intake and traction loc differential.  I guess for paying $1650 for it in 1981 I guess it wasn’t too bad a choice.  It was made in August 1971 so next year it will be 50 years old.  Where did the time go? ?

The picture is from the Washington Auto show this year.  2020 started out pretty good but how things changed in a hurry.

1636B7B9-4BF5-4193-9BF9-2A097CA4D99D.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

I think Round2 bet on the wrong horse using a MPC version. They should have modified the AMT Warren Tope Mustang back to stock.

That would be slightly better but either way they will probably sell some before we ever see the new Revell tool.

Edited by vamach1

On 10/12/2020 at 9:20 PM, Deuces ll said:

Nope! I'm old school.... The Mustang II is a glorified Pinto....?

Everybody knows that...

You must never have owned a Mustang 2. Only the Rack and pinion front end was borrowed from the Pinto and it migrated to the Fox body. The Mustang 2 was a much heavier car as you notice when you open the door.

If this Is this picture of the kits that is be “rereleased” then it looks like it will have the incorrect front bumper (the larger 1973 style) versus the correct smaller 71-72 Mach1 and Sprint bumper.  All I can say is it’s not a surprise.  We will see how they do with the decal sheet and if the Mach1 decal and black stripe across the trunk is correct.  This website says the models will be shipping tomorrow.  Perhaps soon HL will get them soon and they will show up on auctions sites by Halloween. 

0871FAC7-0974-4ECB-B320-319251D6D07F.jpeg

C7DB337F-B04D-4BC3-8375-C8F3005C9FF4.png

D362F3BD-ED59-464F-A64E-0FADEC5510A5.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

45 minutes ago, David Miller said:

It would be nice if the kit came with the correct Corporate Caps and Trim rings but the art looks like baby moons ! 

Yes they are a bit too deep dish Just like on the promos.  Not hard to figure out the origins of the kit.  Something else that is way off is the front marker lights are too far forward and would not line up if one was going to try and make a Mach1 with the side stripes.  The Bond red Mach1 only had the Mach1 decal which as you can tell on the promo and some of the older AMT kits was molded into the plastic.

C33F574D-918B-4C0F-AF43-1F303F9F6229.jpeg

Edited by vamach1