Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1971 Mustang Mach 1

Casey

18 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Was this kit the same as PSMs Boss 302?

I've always hoped that if I could find one, I'd try to correct the nose and taillight area to 70 specs. Looks to me like Palmer actually got the body proportions right, they just got lost on the front details.

I think that Monogram parts could fix it.

No the PSM kit was a one off.   It has nothing in common with the AMT or MPC kits.  Testors got the molds to a 69/73 hybrid thing that I think was another Palmer kit.

442486FF-D8C6-432D-A0C2-23464DDDD6D0.png

463C80B7-E312-4935-9AE2-20E7FD7C9EB7.png

On 1/22/2021 at 11:16 AM, the other Mike S. said:

Well, Round 2 could modify the chassis and include an "insert" for the engine compartment.  They wouldn't have to touch the body tool if they did it that way.

If they did that they should just redo the whole chassis.   It’s just bad and needs the correct dual exhaust and oval mufflers, Nine inch rear end, rear shocks, a rear ant-sway bar, and a better front suspension.  The “inset” would need brake booster and master cylinder, shock tower braces, and a correct ram-air air cleaner and under hood plenum for an all new 351C and/or 429CJ.  But that will never happen.

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

No the PSM kit was a one off.   It has nothing in common with the AMT or MPC kits.  Testors got the molds to a 69/73 hybrid thing that I think was another Palmer kit.

442486FF-D8C6-432D-A0C2-23464DDDD6D0.png

463C80B7-E312-4935-9AE2-20E7FD7C9EB7.png

Even according to your reference, the Boss Super Stang is the second release of the Boss 302.

I'll try looking for both!

2 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Even according to your reference, the Boss Super Stang is the second release of the Boss 302.

I'll try looking for both!

Good luck.  They are pretty rare.  I have not seen the Super Boss in person.   The Boss 302 is not horrible except for the grille.

• 5 months later...
On 12/9/2020 at 8:32 PM, the other Mike S. said:

I know this generation has received a lot of flak about being too big, but they sure had some beautiful smooth lines on them.  The designers did a great job.  It looks much better than the Pinto-Stang that came out for '74 IMO.      

IIRC, the design was approved by Semon "Bunkie" Knudsen with input from Larry Shinoda, who both had come from GM and were both fired soon after this.

• 1 year later...