Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari FXXK DK edition

Dann Tier

Well, everyone, i could not resist starting another car....when you feel motivated this strongly, you gotta go with it, right?!

This will be another Uber build for me, and like always, i have some different suprises up my sleeve. What i will tell you now, is that it will be a road car, and it will be semi-gloss white. I spent hours, and hours trying to find detailed photos of the engine, and suspension, but couldnt find that much, so i will do my best with what i did find. I started off by doing as many pre-assembly things i could, and filling seams. I havent started sanding yet, but later today, i will have photos of all those bits.

images (30).jpg

images (31).jpg

images (32).jpg

7 minutes ago, Matt Bacon said:

Hi, Dann... looking forward to this...

This was the best picture of the engine bay I found when I was building mine:

ferrari-fxx-k-engine-XL.png

Full size version here:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Models-Gallery-43/i-ht7sFk3/0/83bcb0cd/O/ferrari-fxx-k-engine.png

best,

M.

Ya, i found that one too, but theres nothing for suspension, or the lower part of engine.....even tried photos of the La Ferrari.....i spent 5 hours looking all over...

As promised, My first update, is all the bits that i pre-assembled. I sanded for fitment, then started gluing the bits together...filled things, and am now in the process of rough sanding.

-Photo 1&2; This rear cowl was the worst bit to fill, and sand all six bits that i attached...at least they al fit extremely well. The blotchy spots are where i added super glue to final fill things.

-Photo 3; Three parts were joined together here.

-Photo 4; Splash guards attached...

-Photo 5; Lower control arms, and intercooler added...

-Photo 6;Firewall plate added...

-Photo 7: I decided to glue the clear belly plate in, and i'm not bothered with the two parts that went in there, since i'm gonna paint it all over.

-Photo 8; I decided to add the rear wheel hubs.

-Photo 9; Here the rear wing, and side fins are on...

-Photo 10; ...the four door vent sides as well.

-Photo 11; These door ends were VERY impressive as far as the fitment -so many different angles, and yet they fit better than any part i've ever seen!

-Photo 12; The two part guage cluster, and steering column were joined.

-Photo 13&14; All these engine bits were assembled...

-Photo 15; All 5 bits to the lower half of the dash were pre-assembled as well.......next will be Rough sanding it all!

DSCF9813.JPG

DSCF9814.JPG

DSCF9815.JPG

DSCF9816.JPG

DSCF9817.JPG

DSCF9818.JPG

DSCF9820.JPG

DSCF9823.JPG

DSCF9825.JPG

DSCF9826.JPG

DSCF9827.JPG

DSCF9828.JPG

DSCF9829.JPG

DSCF9830.JPG

DSCF9832.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

On 6/4/2020 at 8:27 AM, Matt Bacon said:

Hi, Dann... looking forward to this...

This was the best picture of the engine bay I found when I was building mine:

Full size version here:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Models-Gallery-43/i-ht7sFk3/0/83bcb0cd/O/ferrari-fxx-k-engine.png

best,

M.

I had found these two, one of which is not the greatest

1993478d1417952875-fxx-k-thread-image.jpg

1993496d1417953606-fxx-k-thread-image.jpg

ZNws3vJKHCTJXiGF6NUv1zOAOsSLPl776SVnDIQq6-I.jpg

79754808_10156331533462282_8831667677975019520_n.jpg

79385218_10156331533592282_5580955206788579328_n.jpg

engine_LI 2_zpsfnjhna4a.jpg

9 hours ago, beeRS said:

Very nice start Dann. If your Pagani was anything to go by, then this is sure to be another stunner. I'll be watching with interest.

Are you going to do carbon decals on this one?

I hope so, Bud!, i wont ever use CF decals on any of my builds -dont really like the look....and since not all CF is exposed, i'm good to go, lol

8 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

Going to be an amazing build, love this car! Hopefully there will not be any fit and finish issues with the closures!

I really hope so, Bud!, its my third favorite Ferrari of all time...is this kit prone to fit issues?...its been falling together for me so far...

15 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

I really hope so, Bud!, its my third favorite Ferrari of all time...is this kit prone to fit issues?...its been falling together for me so far...

Not that I know of specifically, but kits with closures that are complex can end up with issues, good luck!

12 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

Not that I know of specifically, but kits with closures that are complex can end up with issues, good luck!

I would say that it's VERY precisely engineered. I sanded back the doors just a little to give room for paint, and mine is done in pure Tamiya rattle can, with no gloss clear. I would also suggest, having learned this lesson AFTER my FXX-K, that a couple of teen-tiny magnets ("rare earth magnets" on eBay) under each side of the front and rear clams on top of the wheel arches and in the door sills, and slivers of steel can inside the clams and door interiors, will pull them firmly into place...

fxxk-opened-up-high-rear-left-L.jpg

fxxk-low-front-right-sleek-aggressive-L.

Mine's only been fully opened up the once, for these photos. I think if I'd put magnets in I'd be a lot more confident about being able to open it when I chose to and have it go back neatly in place when I close it each time... I now have a stack of 2mm diameter x 1mm thickness magnets that have decent amount of traction despite their size, and can easily be recessed into the thickness of most body panels. Some are currently holding the IMC Lola T70 Spider together, and I'll certainly be using them whenever I have models that I have built with more wiring than the maker intended which needs a bit of "squishing" into place...

best,

M.

(edit: I kept some really good textured heavyweight Easter Egg wrapping foil a couple of years back which served me well for those heat shields around the engine, though depending on what US cigarette brands might still exist, a lighter paper-backed version can also be found inside some packets...)

Edited by Matt Bacon