Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello from the UK

Hi there! I've been doing some research on my next project and I kept ending up looking at threads on here, so I thought I should join and participate.

I've been building since I was about 12, back in the early 1980s. As to be expected a bit on-and-off during that time, with houses, family, work and general 1:1 life to consider, but even when I wasn't building I was still accumulating kits and over the last 10-15 years or so I've managed to spend more time on them again.

Mostly Tamiya and Monogram kits back in my younger days, which were readily available from toy and model shops and affordable with my paper round/Saturday job money, and a few were gifts. Most of them survive, not many of them complete, but they do at least donate parts to current projects, or they might even get restored one day.

Back in 2008 we moved to a new place with a big shed at bottom of the garden, it had been a joinery workshop, and this is where I keep my stash and build when the weather's warm enough:

49971245516_68895efe43_b.jpg

The Shed, 2020 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

WIth the internet and eBay I started discovering and buying more interesting/unusual kits, with more relevance to my 1:1 interest in older Japanese cars:

49794693516_68c57da9a1_b.jpg

Sunny Sunday and Cherry Blossom by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

I've also got a 1993 Camry estate (wagon!) and a modern Lexus RX.

My plastic collection consists of lots of Tamiya, Aoshima, Fujimi, Hasegawa and other obscure Japanese makes, plus some Monogram, AMT, MPC and Revell and a few odds and ends from Heller and other European makers.

I tend not to build anything 100% standard, even if its just a change of wheels and maybe lowering. I like a clean, simple look and I try to limit modifications to something achievable - I have one or two more ambitious WIPs that have been on the go for 25+ years now.....

4093896874_721f23324e_c.jpg

Monogram 1:24 Maserati 3500GT by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

This Monogram Maserati with randon American V8 being one of them! Also got a '55 Chevy which was meant to be a loose replica of the Two Lane Blacktop car and a hearse conversion of the Cadillac Ecto ambulance which have both stalled for various reasons.

A few older builds:

49875938317_a033f85a01_b.jpg

1:24 Tamiya Toyota Celica LB Turbo Gr.5 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

The oldest build which survives in one piece, after a minor resto when I found the missing rear spoiler.

4098547477_15eac1c2b3_c.jpg

Doyusha 1:24-ish Nissan Cherry X-1R (E10) by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

I have a few of the Doyusha Nostalgic Hero kits, odd scaling and poor detailing but interesting subject material.

4099302450_c6a3ca3e22_c.jpg

Monogram 1:24 Plymouth, Buick and Ford Torino by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

4104089708_2afba76eec_c.jpg

AMT 1:25 Dodge Monaco by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Ought to get some better photos of these one day.

4167520198_2661ed9f8d_c.jpg

Monogram 1:24 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air 'High Roller' by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

This neatly illustrates the two opposite ends of what I enjoy building. I liked doing a '57 when I was young, but thought I'd do my next version of it in a different way! A Monogram Camaro High Roller donated parts.

4221735744_3860d5325c_c.jpg

Revell 1:24 MGB Roadster by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

MGB built for my stepdad as a replica of the real version he had at the time.

4059711055_162e9595f3_c.jpg

Tamiya 1:24 Nissan Silvia K's (S13) by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

8140228029_77076becd4_c.jpg

1:24 Tamiya Skyline (R30) Complete at last! by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

4059710695_99d7cb5009_c.jpg

Tamiya 1:24 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-Z by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

4106282965_a5f56c9d55_c.jpg

Tamiya 1:24 Nissan Skyline 2000 Turbo (R30) by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Some of my more recent Japanese car builds. Regrettably some of the above don't look as good any more, after being left on display on my dashboard at a show on a sunny day:

9249160347_e9ffeaff74_b.jpg

Model car mishap by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Clearly not a clever thing to do! I've moved on and done others since, I'll show them in the relevant place.

Thanks for looking and listening to my waffle, I'm looking forward to seeing what else is happening here and getting some inspiration for my own projects.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2020 at 8:03 AM, slusher said:

Welcome Nigel!

On 6/7/2020 at 9:28 AM, Earl Marischal said:

Good to see another UK member on here.

steve

19 hours ago, D. Battista said:

Welcome Nigel...!

You have some nice stuff there..!

Thanks everyone! I'm seeing some great stuff on here, and it's spurring me on with my own projects.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome Nigel!  Nice setup in the shed (I'm trying not to sound jealous).  Love the collection, and honestly, if you hadn't said something about leaving them on the dash, I actually would have thought that you modeled wrecked cars on purpose.  I mean, a couple of them looked like an accurate representation of being broadsided!