Model Cars Magazine Forum

I have been trying to clean up some of my inventory of started kits. A few days ago, I was searching through some boxes when I came across this old ERTL farm wagon, along with the matching John Deere tractor. The tractor may take some time to complete, but the barge wagon shouldn’t be too difficult to finish quickly. There’s a few of these in my area, so I hope to get some good weathering ideas.

88188EB3-EC9D-4F77-A419-FEA3C6143817.jpeg

I forgot how miserable it can be to paint with enamel spray cans.

Back when I bought this wagon and the matching tractor, I stopped in at the local John Deere dealer and bought a rattle can of the factory green and yellow paint. They have been moved several times, and are almost 20 years old. I dug the cans out of the back of my paint cabinet, and tried out both colours. The yellow was too thickly applied and cracked, but the green sprayed well. I laid a coat down, and waited...and waited...and waited some more💤. If I had known the pieces would still be tacky after 3 days, I would have painted with Humbrol! The parts were cured enough to move to the dehydrator, but it’s still a long process.

note: the paint in the two photos is the same colour, just different lighting.

6C1A9E65-BE04-4D0E-A42F-96F5EE0593EC.jpeg

1F464587-05AF-4930-B743-BB17FB7D95FF.jpeg

Thanks.  I have one of those still sealed, and always wondered what it was like to build.  Will be keeping an eye on this one too.

For a kit with so few parts, this has been taking a long, long time. The biggest challenge has been the paint, since the factory touch-up paint takes about three days to cure sufficiently to put it in the dehydrator, and a couple of days for the paint odour to fade. The upside is a finish that should withstand nearly anything I may do to it!

Since I want the wagon to appear used, but not worn out, I applied some masking agent to the wood sections on the base. Once the paint finally dries, I will remove the mask and weather the exposed wood. We’ll see how that goes...

C75A2CC3-6DCE-4DBD-9BE4-5ACA703CF99A.jpeg.8892238dfc492106413f4f1fd2dbc224.jpeg

If the paint takes at least five days to dry, hopefully I can be finished the build by the end of the month.

947E956F-5920-4235-8E59-9293E4DFF22E.jpeg.6e500e6043e2cc39fa709da330386988.jpeg