Model Cars Magazine Forum

2v2HYwWD8ximYT.jpg

1970 Chaparral Camaro Trans-Am - I started this project a few years ago and after doing the initial work to convert the front end to full bumper configuration it got shelved. With the prospect of the release of a full bumper kit I figured I would wait until I could get one of those before resuming this project. I have recently learned the release of the new kit has been significantly delayed apparently due to some tooling issues. This project is the last one on my list of started but not completed builds and I needed something to work on so I am back at.

2v2HYwWijximYT.jpg

Up front I managed to approximate the full bumper grill area by mounting the grill upside down. The small inner headlights were filled. The center section of the bumper started as 1970 Mustang piece. The parking light area under the bumpers were cut open and then filled.

2v2HYwW4MximYT.jpg

For the flared wheel-wells, I first cut of the stock lip. I then cut away the body to match the shape of the inner wheel-wells. To this I glued sheet styrene and then reattached the lip after which the whole area was puttied. The wheels and tires are from Replicas & Miniatures.

2v2HYwWTdximYT.jpg2v2HYwWYFximYT.jpg2v2HYwWRyximYT.jpg2v2HYwWPNximYT.jpg2v2HYwWkrximYT.jpg

This will be cool to follow.  At some point I will build a Warren Tope T/A Mustang which would require some major body surgery like you have strarted on.  Just do not put a Ford engine in it.😁

I'll be following.

I remember a green 2nd Gen Camaro in a car mag around 1976. The flares were perfectly proportioned. It still has left an impression on me. I will be following your build.

Phil...very clever work so far. I will be following this very closely. I have a resin body I got years ago...full bumper BTW, and just recently added the decals. Like your work on the flares and was wondering how I was going to do that.  Whose decals are you using?

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2020 at 1:17 PM, vamach1 said:

This will be cool to follow.  At some point I will build a Warren Tope T/A Mustang which would require some major body surgery like you have strarted on.  Just do not put a Ford engine in it.😁

20 hours ago, afx said:

I'll be following.

19 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I remember a green 2nd Gen Camaro in a car mag around 1976. The flares were perfectly proportioned. It still has left an impression on me. I will be following your build.

51 minutes ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Phil...very clever work so far. I will be following this very closely. I have a resin body I got years ago...full bumper BTW, and just recently added the decals. Like your work on the flares and was wondering how I was going to do that.  Whose decals are you using?

Thanks guys, Did some sanding this morning and things look promising. Also did some parts chasing.  Have excellent set of detail photos from when it the car was for sale at Canepa Design.

Rich - I am going to use the Fred Cady decal set.

Edited by Phildaupho

5 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

Thanks guys, Did some sanding this morning and things look promising. Also did some parts chasing.  Have excellent set of detail photos from when it the car was for sale at Canepa Design.

Rich - I am going to use the Fred Cady decal set.

Phil....thanks for the reply....I have the same set.  Somewhere.....in my archives....I have a bunch of photos of the real car when it was at Watkins Glen for the Trans Am reunion. When I find them I will post them here....with your kindly permission of course. 

11 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Phil....thanks for the reply....I have the same set.  Somewhere.....in my archives....I have a bunch of photos of the real car when it was at Watkins Glen for the Trans Am reunion. When I find them I will post them here....with your kindly permission of course. 

Thanks Rich - The more photos the better. A couple of very cool things about this car that are sort of hidden are the Smoky Yunick inspired under hood plenum induction system and the exhaust recessed into the underbody floor.

Phil...these were the only pictures I could find. I know they were there another year and I had a lot of detail shots but two days of looking came to naught. I had to take a photo of  the pictures   since my scanner wouldn't co-operate. This was the days before I discovered digital cameras.   Sigh.....when you have all these cars in one place and only two rolls of film.  All shots were taken from atop the press tower.  Sorry to disappoint...at least I was there. DSC06989.JPG.e0c44a6582bc383e2d91f9891591cc32.JPG

Phil,  If there are any detail-photos of the 1:1 that you might be seeking, please PM me with a list.  About 15+ years ago, I researched one of these 1:1 Jim Hall '70 Trans-Am Camaro's and found it was owned at that time by a California gentlemen that owned and vintage-raced  the original, #1 Jim Hall car.  Somehow, I found an email address for that gentleman, and I emailed him with a request for some detail-pics as I've planned this same 1/25-build since way-back-when.

A few days later several emails came to me with all the detail-shots I requested.  He was gracious enough to go out into his garage and shoot the pics himself, and answered some questions I had about the 1:1.  Now granted, the pics are of the car 30 years past its "racing days", but the car appeared to have had very few revisions and/or modifications made to it since its racing days.  I'd be happy to share any of these reference images with you, (or whomever might be interested in them), just PM me.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Phil...these were the only pictures I could find. I know they were there another year and I had a lot of detail shots but two days of looking came to naught. I had to take a photo of  the pictures   since my scanner wouldn't co-operate. This was the days before I discovered digital cameras.   Sigh.....when you have all these cars in one place and only two rolls of film.  All shots were taken from atop the press tower.  Sorry to disappoint...at least I was there. 

Thanks Rich - That has got to be the best group gathering of Trans Am cars ever. I have been to a number of Vintage event where the Historic Trans Am group were participating but never saw then together like this, only spaced out on the grid. I have had a long time desire to have a scale grid of first era Trans Am cars but this Camaro is only the fourth one I have built but I do have the kits and parts to build 14 more. There are just too many other projects that interest me.

17 hours ago, '70 Grande said:

Phil,  If there are any detail-photos of the 1:1 that you might be seeking, please PM me with a list.  About 15+ years ago, I researched one of these 1:1 Jim Hall '70 Trans-Am Camaro's and found it was owned at that time by a California gentlemen that owned and vintage-raced  the original, #1 Jim Hall car.  Somehow, I found an email address for that gentleman, and I emailed him with a request for some detail-pics as I've planned this same 1/25-build since way-back-when.

A few days later several emails came to me with all the detail-shots I requested.  He was gracious enough to go out into his garage and shoot the pics himself, and answered some questions I had about the 1:1.  Now granted, the pics are of the car 30 years past its "racing days", but the car appeared to have had very few revisions and/or modifications made to it since its racing days.  I'd be happy to share any of these reference images with you, (or whomever might be interested in them), just PM me.

Thanks for the offer but I do have a very good collection of detail photos from when the car was for sale on the Canepa Design website. The last couple of days I have been studying those photos for modifications I have done to the chassis and floor. I also have the 1/32 Scalextric slot-car which is very good for checking 3-D dimensions of the body. Like its full scale counterpart it was not as good a racer as some of the other TA slot-cars. Hope to be able to post some update photos in the near future.

Excellent what the owner did for you. See my PM.

Edited by Phildaupho