Model Cars Magazine Forum

The meaning of craftsmanship in model building

I’ve been thinking a lot about craftsmanship lately and I wanted to make a post and see if anyone approaches their building from a similar mindset and see how other builders felt about this topic.

I had a birthday a couple of weeks back and I was trying to think of some resolutions for a new year of being alive - like New Years but without the big ball ?.  I’ve been really wanting to step up my building lately and I’ve made some steps towards where I want to be and got better at some techniques I want to be good at, and I decided a new year is a good time for a new start and a new attitude.  Really push myself to make each part and build not just as good as can do it, but as well as it can be done.   Consider the best possible way to do a thing, not just the best way I already know.  I don’t expect to always (or even often) hit that theoretical perfect score, but I like the idea of not taking the easy road so much as the BEST road.

I think any hobby will have a natural curve of improvement and learning, but I feel like I’d like to try to make the step from being a ‘builder’ to thinking more like a ‘craftsman’ - someone who’s really at the top of their skill set and excels at what they do.  I think a real craftsman might well argue that you never stop improving and never stop being dissatisfied with your work to a degree, but I really like the idea that by pushing and trying harder than you normally might, and constantly finding ways to do the same thing better than before then you’ll end up on a a rewarding lifelong journey.

I’ve been trying to find things to watch and read to learn more about that craftsman mentality and find some ideas and inspiration for myself - and I’d really welcome any suggestions from anyone here.  I bought a couple of photo-heavy books of a bunch of custom motorcycles and cars recently and have been poring over those looking at little details and really enjoying that, and experimenting with some techniques that I’ve been wanting to try.

So, I guess the question is, do other builders feel like they’re trying to approach this hobby from a similar viewpoint?  Wanting to really strive to hit ‘perfection’ and finding a lot of enjoyment from doing that?  I’d be really interested to hear other people’s viewpoints if you’re on a journey of knowing you might spend a lifetime trying to get better and better at this and always looking for the best way to do something, not just the best way you know right now.

• Like 1

Probably required disclaimer: I by no means mean any of this as a slight on anyone who is happy to ‘just’ build a kit box stock and put it in their shelf and not sweat it too much.  Building just for fun IS the reason to build, and if you like making snap kits (for example) and putting them on your shelf to enjoy that’s no less valuable of a use of time than someone who spends a million hours on a mill or lathe making every tiny part themselves.  

No looking down-of-nose to anyone here at all, just interested in the thoughts of people who find themselves perpetually unsatisfied with their own work but have the desire to do the best that can be done...

12 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Probably required disclaimer: I by no means mean any of this as a slight on anyone who is happy to ‘just’ build a kit box stock and put it in their shelf and not sweat it too much.  Building just for fun IS the reason to build, and if you like making snap kits (for example) and putting them on your shelf to enjoy that’s no less valuable of a use of time than someone who spends a million hours on a mill or lathe making every tiny part themselves.  

No looking down-of-nose to anyone here at all, just interested in the thoughts of people who find themselves perpetually unsatisfied with their own work but have the desire to do the best that can be done...

All true, but I don't understand the philosophy of "that's good enough I don't need to improve".  Everything I do, I try to do a better job next time.

I'd like to see the forum have a place for honest constructive criticism.  I understand that no  one wants to trash a build by a beginner, they need support and some praise, but how is someone supposed to improve if they don't know what they've done could be easily improved by a few simple things.   

Edited by El Roberto
addition
  • Like 1

Happy 37th birthday Robert. I believe most builders would agree that the concept of being a craftsman changes with age and experience. I am more than double your age and still building. I still give every project the effort required to finish it to a level I am satisfied with and let those viewing it decide if the "craftsman" label applies. This still needs to be a fun and satisfying hobby.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

I still give every project the effort required to finish it to a level I am satisfied with...

Me too, but then again, I probably set the bar lower than anyone who's posted in this thread so far. :lol:

If it's good enough for me, it's good enough. If anyone else likes it, that's fine too. If not, I don't care. 

I discovered long ago that working toward perfection meant I would never get ANYTHING finished. But that's just me. There are a million ways to enjoy this hobby, and I encourage everyone to find the way that works for him. B)

• Like 1

I started modeling as a kid in the sixties when the "boom" was on and hot rod and custom cars were all the rage....you could find those kits for sale just about everywhere since they were pretty much a guaranteed sale. Back then there were a lot of contests on both the local and national level and most of my fellow modelers were on the learning curve.  Most finished projects back then showed lots of imagination but basic building skills often took a back seat. After a very long hiatus I got back into the hobby as an aging baby boomer and the skill levels being exhibited had improved exponentially. Wanting to jump in I often chose subjects that would capitalize on my strengths and minimize weaknesses...not wanting to become discouraged. After participating in a few local and regional contests it was gratifying to win a few awards and receive positive feedback as well as useful criticism. Having accomplished a level of modeling competancy Ive come to realize researching a subject and putting together the necessary components is as satisfying as the build process. Nowadays I will often build an "out of box" just to keep loose and enjoy the process if kitbashed scratchbuilds and ultra detailing become arduous and more drudgery than fun. Bottom line to me now is that the more I build...the better I get. As eye sight and manual dexterity declines I know I will never achieve the level of perfection obtained by particpants on this site ( like Mr Obsessive ) but just completing a project.... from vision at the start to final finish ....which presents well on the book shelf or contest table...is good enough for me ( although the occasional compliment or award bestowed by peers is immensely gratifying. )

Edited by styromaniac
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Me too, but then again, I probably set the bar lower than anyone who's posted in this thread so far. :lol:

If it's good enough for me, it's good enough. If anyone else likes it, that's fine too. If not, I don't care. 

I discovered long ago that working toward perfection meant I would never get ANYTHING finished. But that's just me. There are a million ways to enjoy this hobby, and I encourage everyone to find the way that works for him. B)

I am kind of with Snake here. After first joining forums and seeing the high quality builds of others, I joined the quest for perfection. My vision was 90% there but my skills were only 75% of what would be required. After my two Freightliner builds, I was pretty pleased with the results. I found I have the patience but the man-hours required really makes the build stretch out. I still am working for a living and maintaining a house and a yard. I have backed off some to keep my builds good enough for me and gain a few compliments but I do not have a appreciative audience in my circle of influence. I am back to building for fun, which is why I do it in the first place.

• Like 1

One point that inevitably comes up, in these threads, is that which states that, if one  is  scratchbuilding, and striving for perfection, they can't be having fun. Just because that pursuit isn't your idea of fun doesn't mean it can't be someone else's. I've seen many, many models that were/are superior to mine. Every time, my thought was "I want to do that!" I build a lot of curbside models and slammers. Even so, I try to add in a new technique, or improve a specific aspect of my modeling with each project. Is it always fun? Almost always! But, it is always rewarding. As I've aged, I've grown to enjoy the journey, more, and worry less about the destination.

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

47 minutes ago, Flat32 said:

Now that is an interesting read.  Passion is the key. I'm about to read the essay again.

Thanks for posting the link.

I had the pleasure of meeting Bill Gould some time ago when he was moving out of SoCal.  I marveled at the telescope that you see in his photo.  When he describe what it actually did(it has a clockwork so that during long observations it automatically adjusts for the rotation of the earth) that I felt very , very humbled as a modeler.  

I agree with the intent of his essay but would contend that passion is not the right word.  It is not passion that leads to craftsmanship.  Following your passion will not lead to craftsmanship.  If you are passionate about  '32 Ford coupes, you may get to be very skilled at building them, but there will come a day when you have done as much as you can do and that is the end.  No, following your passion will not make you a craftsman.  My opinion is that you should forget you passion and follow your curiosity.  Curiosity will lead you down many rabbit holes that will broaden you skill levels and give you the ability to think outside the box when figuring out how to do something. Along the path of curiosity somethings may, generate passion others will not, but every thing you learn along the way, will improve the next project.  A craftsmen is a person who has access to a mental range of skills that allow them to do things in a way that others can't comprehend. 

I got back into modeling when I was 38 with a passion for '69 GTO's.  I am now 70 and that passion died a long time ago, but I found I was curious about paint, which lead to airbrushing, and other forms of finish.  I was building crude plastic parts and was curious about mills and lathes and working aluminum. I now have the ability to replace almost any part on any model.  I became curious about using photo-etched and  leaned how to solder really tiny parts with a resistance soldering unit.  I am currently curious about using first surface mirrors and making aircraft (or rally cars) look like they are airborne without wires or other support, and became skilled at cutting models very precisely.  So no, passion is not the road to craftsmanship, being curious about one thing that leads to the next and so on is what fires the craftsman.  Some will call it always learning something new, but it is all about keeping your curiosity alive.  

I wish that I could say that I came to this conclusion on my own, but I didn't.  I heard a TED talk(something I listen to on my morning walks) a while back and it just clicked.  Here is that talk if you to are curious. 

Edited by Pete J.
  • Like 3

This is a very thought provoking thread.

My perspective is that "modeling", first and foremost, has to be a passion in order for an individual to reach his or her own personal pinnacle.

In this respect, I disagree with Pete.

Passion promotes drive.

I'm curious about space travel, but that doesn't mean that I want to do it. :P

Regardless of the word we use, whether or not a "pinnacle" can ever be actually reached is probably a moot point.

The hobby is a continual life long learning experience, as most things are.

Every individual has lengths that they are willing or able to go to, and I guess in that respect, there are parameters that one will set for himself that will dictate the extent to which he will go.

For example, I see individuals who will mill entire engines from aluminum, or build frames from brass stock.

Very admirable skills, but I know that these are things that I will never do, so I put them out of my mind.

But for most things, I try to open my mind and absorb techniques that I see as things that I might try to utilize at some point.

There are almost no techniques that I use that I have "invented" myself.

Virtually every advancement that I have made in this hobby has been learned from other individuals.

It's for this reason that I always keep my eyes and my mind open to new ideas.

All too often, we can get "stagnated" in our thinking and are not willing to try a new technique or material, and if we really want to advance, sometimes we have to take the time to learn, and refrain from taking the short cuts.

I often see individuals looking for "easy" ways to do this, that or the other thing, and I really think that this is the wrong attitude for advancement.

As an example, I increasingly see individuals looking for a solution to finishing chrome trim because "foil is too hard".

As with anything in life, we do not emerge from the womb with the ability to complete complex tasks.

It may take some time and practice.

But if you are not willing to put forth the effort to learn advanced techniques, or use the best materials provided to us, you will not advance to where you wish to be, at least if you're really serious about reaching that pinnacle.

I guess my only suggestion would be to watch, listen and learn.

It's up to you how far you take it.

In the end, you don't have to build the best model in the world, just the best model that you are capable of at the time.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 4

Striving for perfection. I have a few scratch builds and conversions already done and had to adopt a different mindset  from straight out building and detailing. He prepared for long haul modelling, and suffering  scrapping of parts  made that do not come up to the standard strived for. Unlike kit building you will be constantly checking the fit of the pieces you make that would normally be taken for granted with parts from a kit. Also good preparation of each part before you commit to paint. I am not trying to put anyone off, but pointing out the reality of what has to be taken on. 

Enjoy the challenge of each part you make as a model in itself, as much of the process is getting your mind around what basic shapes make up your assemblies. Patience and perseverance have to be your main attributes when doing this sort of work.

Although the modelling will take a lot l longer, enjoy the challenges, chill out a bit when things go wrong, after all it is only some more of your time and a bit more material being used. Enjoy the learning experience as you will be surprised at what you can achieve with a bit of practice and just a willingness to give it a go!

Why did I start scratch building/? The reason is simply that some of the classics that I am interested in will never be kitted by mainstream manufacturers.   MFH do some more unusual and challenging highly detailed (and very expensive) kits in larger scales but I do not consider them a mainstream manufacturer like Tamiya, Revell and Airfix etc.

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 2

For me, passion is the engine that drives a project to completion. I have many boxes of models that , once I figured out how I wished to modify the model to accomplish what I want, if the passion is not there anymore, back in the box it goes until the drive returns. Sometimes it never does. There is a challenge to figuring out how to modify a kit or attempt a new skill , but the interest to complete the project must be there to drive the process to the end. This is how it is for me, it may be different for  someone else.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Enjoy the challenge of each part you make as a model in itself

This is an excellent point that I failed to point out as well!

Often we think of a model as nothing more than a collection of parts to create a whole, but if we follow this advice and think of each part, or at least each assembly, as a separate model in itself, the end result of the project will inevitably be better.

If your engine is not executed well enough to be displayed by itself, it will not display well under the hood either.

A very good bit of advice Noel!

Steve 

First off, Happy Birthday CabDriver.. As you can see from every ones replies there are many different yet similar feelings about your "Craftsmanship" thought. I was once having problems in my mind about different levels of detailing of chassis and engines not to mention much better paint jobs. I was told by a far wiser builder to just treat each step as if it was a model of it's own. I started doing this and I feel that the appearance of my builds has improved. I'm still working on the Body painting but I'm seeing some improvement there as well. What I have done and I am doing right now is build a subject that is out of my norm. Build something that represents a subject you have never done before. Another thing this wise man told me was to build it for myself and not worry about the contest or show table display.  

• Like 3

Happy Birthday, Jim

I like your dedication to increasing your skill set. Your approach to ask for input will help a lot. Way back in the mid 80's I went to my first NNL West - also my first model show. Mark Townsend was putting out his stuff. I was in awe and afraid to talk to him. My friend drug me over and helped me start the conversation. Mark was very nice and explained his design and plastic welding techniques. Since then,  I always ask someone how they did this or that. I went to one GSL and got a ton of great scratch building advice from past champions. Heres a couple: If you are making a part, its OK to make it more then once until you are happy with it. And also, when making a part, try to make it rough and a little bigger that then carefully file and sand it to shape. I have also picked up some good strategies from car building shows on TV. Make sure every thing fits before paint to limit handling painted parts. That includes test assembling parts - pin them is necessary. Block sand primer for straighter surfaces and a smoother final finish.

For me the vison I want to create drives the amount of scratch building I do. I try to keep the level of quality high by sanding even small parts and airbrushing over brush painting. With that said, I have never created a model that did not have flaws. I feel that adding scratch built parts to a model increase the chance for fit, out of scale looks, and finish issues as you handle parts, etc. That's why guys like Mark Jones and our friends who make parts from aluminum are at the top of the game. They can pull it off. 

My plan is to go back a few steps and try build a high quality box stock build. I believe that's my best chance at a flawless execution.  

Have fun and enjoy the process.

Scott

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

Make sure every thing fits before paint to limit handling painted parts. That includes test assembling parts - pin them is necessary. Block sand primer for straighter surfaces and a smoother final finish.

Also sound advice.

I will also add to be certain to "allow" for the thickness of the paint as well.

There can be many instances where a couple of coats of paint can assure that parts will not fit properly.

I can't count how many times I've seen a very nicely done model that the hood will not close tight on, because the hood fit perfectly before paint, but after a few coats of primer, paint and clear. it will not seat as it should.

It's pretty hard to fix that after the fact.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Also sound advice.

I will also add to be certain to "allow" for the thickness of the paint as well.

There can be many instances where a couple of coats of paint can assure that parts will not fit properly.

I can't count how many times I've seen a very nicely done model that the hood will not close tight on, because the hood fit perfectly before paint, but after a few coats of primer, paint and clear. it will not seat as it should.

It's pretty hard to fix that after the fact.

Steve

Great upgrade Steve! I forgot that one. You can use 1-2 layers of masking tape to estimate thickness up paint depending on how many coats, clear, etc you plan to lay down.

Nice discussion. 

I personally try to achieve perfection within my means of skill. To me perfection would be no obvious flaws in the paint, clean paint work  in the engine and dash board, carpeting added with seatbelts if possible. If I dont think I can achieve a certain detail realistically I'd rather omit it entirely than risking it being a distracting eye sore on the final product. Sometimes cleaner and simpler is better than cluttered detail for details sake. It also looks more professional. But I say all this as someone who has yet to really complete a kit. I've perfected various types of skill but something usually happens that sets me back or restarts a build because I just wont be able to accept the flaw. I've got several kits sitting at 85% done but I'm procrastinating the final stages thinking of ways to plan and attack them.

Sounds crazy I know but its just how I operate. I'm learning to be more forgiving with myself though.

Edited by DiscoRover007
  • Like 1

I’ve been reading this and started to reply a few times.. Craftsmanship is a way of life, a personal trait that not all people possess.  If it’s in you, you try your best at everything you do, even when not required,  because you do it to satisfy the voice inside yourself. 

I know a guy who is a lazy worker.  He complains that he has to go to work, and will do anything to get out of work and takes shortcuts.

And it carries through in his modeling. He ignored all the very basics of kit prep and clean up. Make a suggestion and he’ll roll his eyes that it’s too much work and nobody will notice anyway. His models look like something we built as teenagers.

But he wants kudos! He doesn’t win awards and complains about it. He doesn’t see his lack of craftsmanship, only that contests are too critical and that you shouldn’t have to wire engines if you don’t want to!  No matter how you explain it to him, he’ll never get it. It’s just not in his make up.

• Haha 1

I don’t strive for perfection. I don’t think I could achieve it with my sanity intact!? I do try try to learn from my mistakes and get a little better each time. Certain models that I admire I will take more care on and maybe redo things that are not what I consider “good enough”.  I have never entered an official contest and don’t intend to.  I mainly got back into this hobby to keep tabs on my eyesight and physical dexterity, since Parkinson’s has affected my older brother, and an Uncle of mine.

Kudos to all those on the forum who do strive for perfection...and it does show on many of your builds. I certainly appreciate the diligence and admire the skills that a lot of you display here. Keep it up!??

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 7:17 PM, Snake45 said:

I like your response on this subject Snake, well said.

I skipped all the comments, this is strictly my opinion.  I consider myself a crapsman, fake it until I make it.  I make do with what I got.  I'm not going to get a Sherline lathe, a computer program to use for 3D printing or photo-etch, to catch up with some amazing dedicated craftsmen out there.  I tend to corner myself into learning something on most builds, usually it's to find the seat-of-the-pants engineering method that looks convincing, but to expect something to actually work in real life would take much more effort.  I strive for perfection, but it always eludes me, sucks being human. ?

• Like 1