Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mustang GT4 Tamiya

This is the new Tamiya Mustang kit. It’s the use Tamiya kit. It just falls together. The color is Tamiya bright Red over Pink primer. The decals are from Indycals and are super thin. They lay down great ,but you need to float them wet onto the body. They will grab very quick if not. The door panels and rear and  the center tunnel were done  with carbon decal odds and ends. The foil heat shield was made by taking BMF and rubbing it over Tamiya mesh screen.  Thanks for looking

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 6/9/2020 at 3:01 AM, vamach1 said:

Nice work and it looks pretty detailed except of course for that minor detail Tamiya left out under the hood.

Yes, when they do such a nice kit they could have taken the time to tool up the engine too, what difference will 10-15 parts more do to the total and I hate when they leave this "minor detail" out.

Nice work by the way.

Edited by Force

On 6/19/2020 at 3:44 PM, Force said:

Yes, when they do such a nice kit they could have taken the time to tool up the engine too, what difference will 10-15 parts more do to the total and I hate when they leave this "minor detail" out.

15-20k in tooling for the engine parts, then a few thousand bucks in mods to the body core tooling to remove the hood, then another grand or two to mold a separate hood.  Probably makes the kit cost $5 or so more...it's already $42.

7 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

15-20k in tooling for the engine parts, then a few thousand bucks in mods to the body core tooling to remove the hood, then another grand or two to mold a separate hood.  Probably makes the kit cost $5 or so more...it's already $42.

Retail is $53. I picked my two kits up today for $33.29 each plus tax.

4 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

If they had planned for it when they did the tooling for this kit in the first place I don't think the cost would be that high...it is now tho'.
I would most likely have bought the kit if it was a full detail but it's not that interesting to me without a detailed engine bay as it takes some of the fun out of the build.

Edited by Force

On 6/18/2020 at 4:56 PM, mrmike said:

I am intrigued by the wiring on the interior components.  Did you find a schematic somewhere or are you taking a lot of liberties with it?

Found pictures on line from the race team. Search Mustang GT4 interior 

On 6/21/2020 at 6:34 PM, niteowl7710 said:

That's a screaming deal, that's only a few bucks more than they're selling for directly in Japan.

Yes, it is a deal. Cheaper than if I got them overseas with the shipping added in.