Model Cars Magazine Forum

What ELSE did you build? Non auto related.

50 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

That's a CLEAN one. You wouldn't believe the amount of junk you can bolt onto a rifle like that. And some people do. :blink:

There is a guy on YouTube, Brandon Herrera ( aka The AK Guy ), that does AK guys vs. AR guys videos. He makes the AR guys out to be fussy little weenies. They are pretty funny. But I'm an overgrown 13 year old so stuff like that makes me giggle. 

47 minutes ago, stinkybritches said:

There is a guy on YouTube, Brandon Herrera ( aka The AK Guy ), that does AK guys vs. AR guys videos. He makes the AR guys out to be fussy little weenies. They are pretty funny. But I'm an overgrown 13 year old so stuff like that makes me giggle. 

There's a lot of "Ford vs Chevy" going on in the Gun World. Always has been. Always will be. :lol:

21 hours ago, Russell C said:

Knew you were officially involved in building construction in some manner .... didn't know you also did deconstruction. ?

Yes, architectural designer.  I have to deal with permits.  Prescott requires a permit to un-build too, when I'm done removing the shed, have to call for an inspection.  I'm like what is there per "International" Building Code that says a patch of dirt has to meet requirements?  Fun to not need to use a tape measure, saw, or level.

Found a bee hive under the floor, they were poisoned years ago so wasn't attacked.  Two trips to the dump, over 800 pounds each time.

IMG_2657_Fotor.jpg

22 hours ago, Snake45 said:

ARs are pretty much the Legos of the gun world. I've built three, a dedicated .22, a 5.56 HBAR midlength, and a retro old-school one that usually has a .22 LR conversion set in it but can go back to 5.56 in about 20 seconds. 

Here are two of them, the dedicated .22LR plinker/trainer (top) and the old-school "retro" (lower). The latter are all the rage these days, with guys spending big bucks to put one together, but I did this one over 10 years ago for well under $600. I also have a second set of "furniture" for it that I'm planning to paint green for a VERY early look. B)

DPMSAR1522x600.JPG.c2d2b0b2d80cbb608cdc047e929a8b65.JPG

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Here are two of them, the dedicated .22LR plinker/trainer (top) and the old-school "retro" (lower). The latter are all the rage these days, with guys spending big bucks to put one together, but I did this one over 10 years ago for well under $600. I also have a second set of "furniture" for it that I'm planning to paint green for a VERY early look. B)

DPMSAR1522x600.JPG.c2d2b0b2d80cbb608cdc047e929a8b65.JPG

I shot "expert" in boot camp with the lower one.

8 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Yes, architectural designer.  I have to deal with permits.  Prescott requires a permit to un-build too, when I'm done removing the shed, have to call for an inspection.  I'm like what is there per "International" Building Code that says a patch of dirt has to meet requirements?  Fun to not need to use a tape measure, saw, or level.

Found a bee hive under the floor, they were poisoned years ago so wasn't attacked.  Two trips to the dump, over 800 pounds each time.

IMG_2657_Fotor.jpg

That is one serious looking Bee Hive. You would have been in big trouble if they were still there. 

18 hours ago, blunc said:

I shot "expert" in boot camp with the lower one.

I didn't even qualify the first time I shot it, and had to reshoot. I'd never fired a centerfire rifle before, nor used peep sights. I didn't make Expert with it for about four years. Interestingly, I qualified Expert with the handgun (S&W M15 Combat Masterpiece) the first time I shot it, and I'd never fired a handgun of any kind before in my life. (I HAD read lots of books on how to do it, though.) 

Later on, with the pistol, I would chew a "rathole" out of the center of my target with the first 24 or so (of 60) rounds, making it impossible to count my holes, and then for the rest of the course either throw a few holes in the next target over if that guy seemed to be having trouble, or just plinking at rocks on the far backstop for fun. :lol:

The M16 bullet holes were too small (.22 caliber) to make a "rathole." I could shoot it really well from prone or sitting, but would drop enough points in kneeling and standing that I couldn't quite make Expert--for a LONG time. 

Ah, good times! B)

12 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

No kidding!

Done with that project, 1120 pounds of blocks to the dump.

IMG_2658_Fotor.jpg

I would have found a place to stack those blocks. You just know you're going to need them next week if you throw these away now. I have a small stock pile behind my garage where I keep any left over blocks from yard projects. 

Mr. Snake - Yesterday I went shooting for the first time in years. A group went to learn how to properly handle our home defense guns. The guy next to me had some BIG rifle. The shells had to be 1.5" long. It was LOUD. When he shot it, my target would fly up from the wind it made. Still a good time.

Wow Kurt - That IS a big beehive. Does it have wax still in it. I would think of trying to save it. I would also save those cinder blocks.

We don't have a truck so trips to the dump are rare. I accumulate lots of scrap masonry and wood. This summer I have been using a lot of it. I used the brick edging to help level the planters at the top of this thread. 

And since we are talking sheds ... we have a few old ones that came with the house. One is used for gardening tools and my wife's Christmas stuff. The shelves were weak and saggy. About two moths ago I opened the door to find Christmas stuff on the floor with a lot of the garden tools. Time to get organized. Without a single trip to the hardware store I made shelves from the scrap wood and left over screws. The first planks of the empty shelves are parts of a bed frame. They already had the a 90 degree reinforcement so they were plenty stiff. The rest of the shelves are old fence slats. They fit perfectly. I doubled them up where I needed extra strength. They ain't pretty, but they are strong enough to do the job. I also gave it a good spray with TAURUS SC to keep the bugs from eating any more of the wood.

IMG_2238-vi.jpg

IMG_2239-vi.jpg

Next up were the adiorndack chairs. They had started to deteriorate. A friend broke one of the resin slats and I broke the other. I used wood to replace the slats and bonded some aluminum strip under the resin slats that take the most weight for a bit more strength. Then is was sanding and painting- same as modeling. I just need to put on a UV protecting clear coat before they turn pink in a month.

IMG_2234-vi.jpg

IMG_2240-vi.jpg

Scott

Edited by Scott Colmer

7 hours ago, espo said:

I would have found a place to stack those blocks. You just know you're going to need them next week if you throw these away now. I have a small stock pile behind my garage where I keep any left over blocks from yard projects. 

8 minutes ago, Scott Colmer said:

[...]

Wow Kurt - That IS a big beehive. Does it have wax still in it. I would think of trying to save it. I would also save those cinder blocks.

[...]

I've gone through that stage of saving anything and everything.  Lived at the same place 35 years.  I had a stash of lumber, but it all got trashed, and ended up going to the dump.  One year, rented a dumpster and filled it twice.  Did keep the CMU that was in the middle of the floor, not messed up with mortar and concrete, and the studs are better than lumber today, so not all was tossed.  Going to build a bench with that lumber for her new shed.

10 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

I've gone through that stage of saving anything and everything.  Lived at the same place 35 years.  I had a stash of lumber, but it all got trashed, and ended up going to the dump.  One year, rented a dumpster and filled it twice.  Did keep the CMU that was in the middle of the floor, not messed up with mortar and concrete, and the studs are better than lumber today, so not all was tossed.  Going to build a bench with that lumber for her new shed.

I have a stash of wood in my basement "Garden Room". This is a little bigger than a 1 car garage with double doors opening under the deck. I have saved some of the larger 2x4 and 2x6 left over from when we had the house built 20 years ago and redid the deck about ten years ago. I have not had to buy a 2x4 or 2x6 for as long as I can remember and this wood was going to the landfill anyway. I used some of the scraps to build a double shelf storage unit to store the wood on and park my push mower and garden trailer and fertilizer spreader under.  

86D7DDA3-4A09-45F2-9219-E32D78367452.thumb.jpeg.170c93232704bf6f125826bf4aba60fb.jpeg

I’m keeping busy with house projects. I wanted to power wash and stain my bridge. Here it is still wet from washing.

669DDB60-37E5-4AD6-9C02-FE07AB041A28.jpeg.2492a039e4c40e25de9e40e2b9013b3f.jpeg

And down the road to a project. I’m now two full days into replacing decking. I’d be done now but I came up two boards short! I’ll be at Home Depot in the morning.

I wound up replacing 24 boards. The hard part is prying the bad ones up!  I may get to first coat of stain tomorrow.

Tom, that bridge is awesome. The property looks beautiful. Gotta love the east cost. 

I have so many questions because I have small rainwater creek that runs across my front yard and I want to install a bridge. It's pretty low on the project list, so I'm talking at least a few years from now.

Is that your own design?

What type of footing did you use?

Did you have to get any permits?

How long until it needed refurbishing?

Scott

39 minutes ago, Scott Colmer said:

Tom, that bridge is awesome. The property looks beautiful. Gotta love the east cost. 

I have so many questions because I have small rainwater creek that runs across my front yard and I want to install a bridge. It's pretty low on the project list, so I'm talking at least a few years from now.

Is that your own design?

What type of footing did you use?

Did you have to get any permits?

How long until it needed refurbishing?

342256E0-2865-4125-9D16-2C9072C9DB4E.thumb.jpeg.34f16a543c7f659a112c9de53bdecd62.jpeg

Here’s a photo of the bridge today. It is one of the coolest things on the property. I’m on an acre which is narrow and deep. The creek is 3/4 the way back. The previous owner built a pool at the back of the property and the bridge leads there. 

To answer your questions... not my design, it came with the property. I think it’s maybe 25 years old. I’ve owned the house 10 years. A few years ago I paid a contractor to extend it towards the house as the creek caused some erosion of the bank. You can see the unpainted end. 

As far as maintenance, it’s very solid and I’ve just power washed it each year. I’ve meant to stain / paint it for some time and have actually had the paint for a few years. The past three summers were very busy for us and we were away most weekends. Three years ago my daughter got married. Two years ago my eldest granddaughter was born. This past summer the twins were born!  And I spent a lot of business time in Seattle. This year.. sitting here twiddling my thumbs!

Anyway, this year was the first maintenance repairs.. I replaced 21 deck boards. They weren’t awful or ready to break, just some rot on an end. Boards still fastened to structure firm enough to be a major effort to remove, and mostly sound enough if you needed boards about 44” long.

Let me know if you want any more info!

Edited by Tom Geiger

I have been watching your posts on your bridge project and have admired how it looked. I was going to suggest a Trex type product for the decking part for longevity and resistance to rot. You're well past doing that at this time. The creek and bridge setting looks great.    

Many years ago ('96-'97?) when I was doing a lot with my engineering consulting company, I developed and prototyped the black vibration-damping part of this line of hammers for the Canadian company Wavex, and assisted with writing the patent application. Based on technology from their earlier vibration-damping line of golf clubs, I built the hammer handle from scratch just a block from where I'm sitting right now, with a hand-laid longitudinal fiberglass core, and an overmolded rigid vibration-damping shell (for which I still have the silicone molds). I also prototyped a cricket bat for them using the same idea. It was to have been manufactured in India, but the project fizzled out. They never paid my last invoice for completed work, and never bothered to return some books I'd loaned them on vibration propagation in various materials and structures, as apparently Wavex went bankrupt, and sold out to another tool company. Still, it's kinda cool having something I made immortalized in a production tool though (and I did get a few hammers out of the deal). B)

01215112_L.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy