Model Cars Magazine Forum

1979 Chrysler 300

restoman

An Airtrax resin transkit, using the '71 Charger as the basis.
I swapped out the Charger's big block engine and 8.75" rear end, and replaced it with a resin copy of an E58 small block ('71 Duster) and a more-correct 9.25" rear end. As there is no catalytic converter in the Charger kit, I'll say this 300 represent a very early '79 build. ;)
The wheels are widened Super Coupe-ish resin copies based on Fireball's excellent police car units, with his BF Goodrich TAs.
Finished in Chrysler Cool Vanilla automotive base/clear, with Humbrol burgundy for the interior.
The windshield is heat-formed PEP plastic, and the side mirrors are from Revell's '70 'Cuda.
Bumpers are done in air brushed Molotow. I wanted to use Alclad, but an unfortunate butter finger episode didn't leave enough to get them done. :(

I can't say as I'll miss mucking around with this. Been at it since 2017, and it's really been a fight all the way.
This is my first complete resin build and it's been a learning experience. I'd like to think I now know a little better what to look for and what to do/not to do for any future resin builds. At least, I hope so: I have their '69 300 transkit that I'm anxious to get going on.
For better or worse, it's done.
Except for the terrible fitting and twisted front bumper, the twisted hood that refused to straighten, and the headlight bucket that broke as it was being installed, I think it looks ok. A friend says that he thought I captured the era perfectly, with all the flaws that the real cars had back then. :)
Lots of flaws, yup,  but it's safely tucked away in it's own little display box, so what is there, stays there.

Comment s always welcome. :)

1979 300 1.jpg

1979 300 2.jpg

1979 300 3.jpg

1979 300 4.jpg

1979 300 5.jpg

1979 300 6.jpg

1979 300 7.jpg

1979 300 8.jpg

Well it looks pretty darn good.  I was working for a Chrysler dealer in 79 and just loved the 300.  The dealers son and I took a new one out one day and it would break the rear  tires loose.  I don't think many cars in 79 would!

I think You did a great job on the model. Resin kits are a great challenge and really pay off when You get them right. Like You did here. 

It's very sad that the real model kit makers almost completely overlook the seventies. Especially the land yachts. 

Luckily there's resin casters around, making accurate models like these... And skilful builders putting them together 

Your first ever full resin, and you used an Airtrax kit! That is very brave. You did a magnificent job. Sounds like you experienced all the usual issues expected with one of their kits. This came out lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the comments!

I should clarify a bit: this was a fun challenge, and the flaws won't keep me from building another Airtrax product. I'll just know a little bit more about what to expect. This was a car I've always liked, they offered it, and I'm happy that I jumped in.

It does look good in the cabinet,and that's what I was looking for.

Thanks again. :)

On 6/8/2020 at 10:48 AM, drodg said:

Well it looks pretty darn good.  I was working for a Chrysler dealer in 79 and just loved the 300.  The dealers son and I took a new one out one day and it would break the rear  tires loose.  I don't think many cars in 79 would!

I owned a '76 Charger (same basic car) with a 360 two barrel, and it,too, would spin 'em no problem. :)

On 6/8/2020 at 11:48 PM, Merc-57 said:

I think You did a great job on the model. Resin kits are a great challenge and really pay off when You get them right. Like You did here. 

It's very sad that the real model kit makers almost completely overlook the seventies. Especially the land yachts. 

Luckily there's resin casters around, making accurate models like these... And skilful builders putting them together 

Yeah, a few more from the seventies would be very welcome!

After seeing how well this one turned out, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on an Airtrax '76 Cordoba. I owned a black one, with red interior. Sold it too soon, too. I wasn't finished enjoying it! LoL

Very nice indeed! I remember when these were new and it was one of Chrysler's bright spots for '79 when there wasn't much else to be excited about.

Now looking back, I'd have to say any car from 1979 in good shape would be collectible as there's very few on the roads any longer.