Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model master classic white in jar

Bought this jar about two weeks ago at Hobby Lobby . Went to use it today and it is like milk ! Very transparent and won’t cover . Has been stirred good and is like that all the way to the bottom . Anyone else find this problem ? 

4AEDF27B-D69A-4458-AD55-A65D1813CF24.jpeg

Sometimes if a jar of paint has sat for a long time the pigment will settle on the bottom. I use a tooth pick to mix it in. Once you have the pigment mixed in a little you can shake it for a few minuets and it should be ready to use after that.   

I've used MM Classic White before and never had that problem. It's a bad bottle/batch. Take it back and exchange it or get your money back, and/or complain to Testor. For what they charge for their stuff, the least they can do is deliver a quality product. 

I use Testors flat white enamel myself.

It covers better and dries faster than gloss white, and you can change the finish to gloss very easily with a coat or two of testors clear gloss lacquer.

I buy virtually zero gloss jar paints.

I don't like how it performs.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Most of my models lately with a few exceptions have been color coated with acrylic paints, even craft paints then clear coated with either lacquer or Tamiya X-22 clear gloss or Tamiya clear colors as a more custom look. The last model painted with enamel was a year ago in MM Chrome Yellow gloss and gloss Classic Black which both went on beautiful, no need to clear coat.

But ya, I'd say that's a bad bottle of paint.

Edited by Dave G.

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

It's a bad bottle/batch. Take it back and exchange it or get your money back, and/or complain to Testor.

Judging from the condition of the lid and the milky, thoroughly stirred paint, I'd say it was already returned once. It sounds like some one bought it, prepared it for airbrush use, either didn't like the paint or over thinned it, and returned it.

This happened to me a few times at Hobby Lobby.  Once we bought some chalk paint, and noticed the paper seal on top was removed, so we returned it.  They didn't have another one one, and they told us more would be in stock in 2 days.  We went back to pick up the paint, and noticed the jar we returned was back on the shelf.

On 6/9/2020 at 5:22 AM, SSNJim said:

Judging from the condition of the lid and the milky, thoroughly stirred paint, I'd say it was already returned once. It sounds like some one bought it, prepared it for airbrush use, either didn't like the paint or over thinned it, and returned it.

I could see this as a possible cause, or the manufacturer defect? I know the OP surely stirred it well enough, but one of the best things I’ve bought is one of those battery operated mixers. It does a great job and best of all it keeps the paint off the lids, which tends to “glue” them in place after a while. This is why I stopped shaking all paints other than aerosols.