Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaguar XJ-S V12, Hasegawa, 1/24

Matt Bacon

37 minutes ago, peteski said:

Matt, seeing your excellent pictorial, I'm pretty sure I'll be using your engine photos for reference when I finally get to building my kit. It looks better and easier to follow than the factory drawings. :)

I'm pretty sure I'll be doing the same! LoL

Thanks, guys! Got started on the BMF today... it's not a job I like much, and doing it in several sessions eases the pain a bit. Mind you, I also needed a break from engine duties...

bodywork-in-bmf-in-progress.jpg

Pretty rubbish picture, mind you! Then I thought I'd see how the engine sits in the engine bay as a test:

engine-in-situ-test-1.jpg

engine-in-situ-test-2-XL.jpg

At some point, I'm going to have to start looking at all the stuff that goes around the inner wings and on the radiator and bulkhead, but today is not that day...

best,

M.

Absolutley cracking job on plumbing the V12! Its really taking shape.

I built the TWR version as a kid, but I think the regular version is much better looking. The V12 in my build is out of the box, and looks naked compared to your excellent job.

Thank you, gentlemen... This is a milestone: all the BMF is done, at long and eye-strainingly last.

BMF-done-1.jpg

BMF-done-2.jpg

BMF-done-profile.jpg

BMF-done-top.jpg

BMF-done-front.jpg

Still not quite sure how the hood works so it can be raised, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Dechroming the grill, painting it black, and applying Molotow chrome to the front make it look a lot less heavy and more realistic than leaving it chromed front and back, I think.

Still not quite sure how the bonnet works so it can be raised, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Dechroming the grill, painting it black, and applying Molotow chrome to the front make it look a lot less heavy and more realistic than leaving it chromed front and back, I think.

Time to start work on the interior, now...

best,

M.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, guys.... sorry for the delay. I spent one weekend's modelling time building paint storage, and life got in the way last weekend...

First up, the rear suspension, which (amazing, eh?) looks very much like an E-type's!

rear-suspension-under-way-2.jpg

rear-suspension-under-way.jpg

rear-suspension-under-way-3.jpg

Detail shots in case anyone is wondering how it all goes together (I found the instructions were pretty good, but you can't beat real photos...)

chassis-underside-finished.jpg

So that's the fairly simple chassis completed.

upholstery-open-2.jpg

upholstery-open.jpg

Interior in parchment and kinda mushroom grey...

cockpit-finished-2.jpg

cockpit-finished-3.jpg

cockpit-finished.jpg

Interior done. Look closely, because this is the closest you'll get to seeing the nice decal dials in the dash, which are an "inside-out" decal that goes on the back of a clear "glass" behind the dial cut-outs.

tyres-uh-oh.jpg

The tyres. Uh-oh. Two had turned into biscuits, one had solidified, and the fourth was fine. Fortunately, thanks to @Spottedlaurel I have some replacements on the way. They pretty much have to be Hasegawa XJS tires, because the rims are weirdly small and the sidewalls quite high-profile (which is prototypical, but unusual)

I think I'm getting to the point of being able to start bringing the major assemblies together...

best,

M.

Thanks, guys.... chassis is now built. Further detailing will wait until the engine bay is inside the body.

naked-chassis-1.jpg

naked-chassis-2.jpg

naked-chassis-3.jpg

naked-chassis-from-top.jpg

Tried a test fit:

test-fit-3.jpg

test-fit-2.jpg

test-fit-1.jpg

test-fit-4.jpg

test-fit-6.jpg

Had to paint the grinning cat on the hood... a nice raised plinth but no decal!

test-fit-5.jpg

Probably the best view we'll get of the interior in place... time to get the windows in.

best,

M

Thanks, gentlemen. I'm on holiday today, so a bit more bench time and the big cat is assembled...

assembled-bonnet-closed-2.jpg

assembled-bonnet-closed-headon.jpg

assembled-bonnet-closed-profile.jpg

Some detail painting on the wheels and a dose of 1:1 "Bumper Black" on the tyres has improved them no end...

bonnet-hinges-1.jpg

bonnet-hinges-2.jpg

There is no way the hinges as molded are going to allow the hood to open properly. There's plenty of room inside the bumper, so I decided that I could extend the U shapes inside the bumper to get a bit more wiggle room.

assembled-bonnet-open-2.jpg

assembled-bonnet-open-3.jpg

I used some black electrical tape inside the front wheel arches to stop the "see through" effect that you get OOB (I think Hasegawa trimmed back the upper wheel arches so you didn't have to stretch the fenders over them while you were trying to get the engine fan into the right place in the radiator shroud). Time to finish up the engine bay...

best,

M.

Stunning.model Matt.       Does not seem all that long ago when there were quite a number of these on our roads. It was I think a really nice looking car. Not to everyone's taste though, and appeared to be a successor to the last E Type  with the V12 and carrying on the coupe  role for Jaguar.

Thanks, Noel! Nearly there now. Last few details in the engine bay... before:

engine-before-1.jpg

engine-before-2.jpg

Some bits:

parts.jpg 

Radiator expansion tank, some relays (I like the blue ones for a touch of colour), a dipstick and an aircon condensor (or something aircon-y, anyway...)

And with them all in place, along with some wires and hoses:

after-1.jpg

after-2.jpg

after-from-above.jpg

Time to deal with the last few bodywork details, and wrestle with the ageing decals for the cheatlines

best,

M.