Model Cars Magazine Forum
misterNNL

Artillery wheel source

I am looking for a good source for eight artillery wheels and tires for a current project. I am scratch building a '37 Pierce Arrow 19' Travelodge camping trailer that may use a '37 Chevrolet Cabriolet as a tow car. My reference photos show that these trailers used artillery wheels during their one and only year of production. Any help appreciated.

Not only is it gonna be tough enough to come up with (8).... but in 1/25 scale.... I presume ...isn't artillery (um... big guns)  ... they're usually on single axles?

Only idea I have is maybe collect up a bunch of Rommel's Rods.....but that's 1/24th.    Good luck with your quest Tom!

9 hours ago, Khils said:

Not only is it gonna be tough enough to come up with (8).... but in 1/25 scale.... I presume ...isn't artillery (um... big guns)  ... they're usually on single axles?

Only idea I have is maybe collect up a bunch of Rommel's Rods.....but that's 1/24th.    Good luck with your quest Tom!

Yes,1/25 th scale is what I am looking for, and this trailer is a single axle one.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for or what is considered "artillery wheels:.  However the Revell '37 Ford Panel truck has a set of wheels that I have heard referred to as being artillery wheels.

8 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Not sure exactly what you are looking for or what is considered "artillery wheels:.  However the Revell '37 Ford Panel truck has a set of wheels that I have heard referred to as being artillery wheels.

Thanks,I'll check that out. I actually only need 6 of them.

The old MPC Stutz Bearcat wheels are artillery-style and might work (if you can find them).  Since yours are going on a trailer, the 1/24 scale wheels from a Monogram 1926 Mack Bulldog might look OK too. The Mack kits are easy to find and reasonably priced on eBay.

bearcat.jpg

mack-2.jpg

Edited by Mike999
omit

One of the places that does resin for dirt track cars has a nice set of artillery wheels with wide 5 hub detail, or if you want modern sizes motobitz do them in 18, 20 and 22 inch scaled at 1/24

On 6/10/2020 at 1:43 AM, Russell C said:

Do you mean the kind of artillery wheels that were in the original issue (?) Monogram '36 Ford. These were in a recent ebay auction in a parts pile for that kit.

272077185_36artilleries.jpg.fa180f34fdfb5dbe4993171a561dc18e.jpg

Thanks the ones.

On 6/16/2020 at 1:17 PM, misterNNL said:

Thanks the ones.

Those are the wheels out of the Revell 37 Ford PU.

The wheels in the original 36 Ford kit look entirely different.

There is a thread here on this forum about the 36 Ford wheels and possible recasting of them in resin.

The grey wheels are original 36 Ford artillery wheels. The black wheels are what's in the 36 Ford kits since I think its third release.

20181215_175854.jpg.1a4eaf18f288aa0d68c3bc68fd6afb31.jpg

Edited by 68shortfleet

I do not have the skills to post photos to the forums so I will simply say that a quick internet search for vintage automotive artillery style wheels shows the style I am looking for.

Edited by misterNNL
forgotten word

13 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Is this it Tom? See the source image

Yes it is exactly what I am looking for.

I've managed to get my hands on a few sets of artillery wheels the last few years.

The first set are resin pieces that were enlarged to fit the 41 Lincoln kit tires. These came from Drag City Casting(Ed Fluck), and I'm nearly positive he has discontinued them.

The second set i found at a swap meet, but they were still listed on a showcase hobbies website or Facebook page recently. They are normal 1/25 size measuring .605" where its going through the wheel and .650" at the wheel lip. Pictured in a tire from an AMT 32 Ford kit tire.

1593041129301111252932561331241.jpg

15930411882019151255063278539239.jpg

1593041631371229577633426662812.jpg

These would be perfect for my current project, a '37 Pierce Arrow 19' Travelodge travel trailer. The real ones were only made one year and had these wheels on them.