Model Cars Magazine Forum

My latest project is Tamiya's Ford Mustang GT4 race car.  Since I am a fan of the Goodwood Festival of Speed, this car will be painted with Tamiya TS-4 German Grey with a Tamiya TS-13 Gloss Clear top coat and a white roll cage with a black racing seat to represent the car shown there in 2017.  I haven't built a race car in a very long time.  Let's see what I can do with this kit!

More Mustang to come...

GT401.JPG

GT402.JPG

GT403.JPG

Phil, this seems to be an excellent kit.  Get it before it disappears!

I pulled the body out of the baggie it was in to inspect it for mold lines and flash and surprise!  There are none!  Now on to a bath!  The instructions say to leave the chassis white and I thought it would have been grey like the body color.  I started to think about taking a "body-in-white" and Multimatic Racing in Canada building the cars with roll cages and such and then painting the bodies.  I suppose the chassis would have remained white while they painted the body grey with the usual overspray.  

More Mustang to come...

GT404.JPG

GT405.JPG

GT406.JPG

Will be watching, Mike. Heard a lot of great things about this kit. It's great there's little to no mold lines on the body. ?  I've picked up one of these pony's up as well and it's towards the top of the "to do" list. And a bonus, I had ordered the Motorcraft livery decals from Indycals and they were in my mailbox today. ?

I did a little painting today.  I painted the wheels with Tamiya TS-42 Light Gunmetal, the exhaust system with Tamiya X-31 Titanium Gold, the front suspension and disc brakes with Model Master Acryl Arctic Blue Metallic, Model Master Stainless Steel Metalizer, Tamiya Titanium Gold and Tamiya Chrome Silver.  The chassis is coming along...

More Mustang to come...

GT407.JPG

GT408.JPG

GT409.JPG

Thanks Curtis!  This kit is just falling together other than the tiny little parts and my fat fumble fingers.  I keep watching the video of the Mustang GT4 running up the hill at Goodwood.  Awesome!

Thanks Tony!

There it is!  There's one mold line on each side of the A pillar and runs the length of the upper door on both sides.  There's a mold line on each corner of the rear bumper, too!  I have highlighted them in pencil.  A mockup of the chassis with all four wheels and tires.

More Mustang to come...

GT410.JPG

GT411.JPG

GT412.JPG

More work on the interior has been done.  The roll cage has been assembled and is not glued into the interior.  I used Bare Metal Foil for the clamps on the two bottles in the interior.  The grey bottle with the two clamps on it is suppose to be painted with Tamiya XF-63 German Grey and it is not listed in the Paint Callout.  Since I don't have that color, I used Model Master Acryl Gunship Grey.  I want to wire all this up, but I haven't been able to find any schematics or diagrams.  Maybe someone knows where I can find them.

More Mustang to come...

GT413.JPG

GT414.JPG

GT415.JPG

I have been wiring the interior components of the GT4 Mustang.  While I tried to find some good pictures showing the wiring, I decided to just wire everything freely with no particular reference.  It's all a guessing game for me and I am having fun!

More Mustang to come...

GT416.JPG

GT417.JPG

GT418.JPG

Dave, that gray looks to be too light.  Almost white in color.  The actual color has not been mentioned anywhere that I could find.  The instructions say Tamiya TS-4 German Grey with Tamiya TS-13 Clear.  

More wiring added to the interior.  I added the drivers seat with harness that I had cut out of the decal sheet since it would be too flat just using the decal alone.

More Mustang to come...

GT419.JPG

GT420.JPG

GT421.JPG

I removed the seat harness so I could apply the decals to the seat, so I swapped the straps around and reglued them to the seat.  One of the things I had noticed was the white edge around the harness and I used a black Sharpie to mask the edges.  The interior is now decaled and wired and while the wiring may not be totally correct, it does add something to the interior.  I installed the dash after adding the decals to the center stack and I used a couple of PE rings for the instrument panel.

More Mustang to come...

GT422.JPG

GT423.JPG

GT424.JPG

Edited by mrmike

I thought I had finished the chassis until I realized that I had not glued on the door panels.  The wheels and tires looked like it was missing something and then I realized that the tires don't have any lettering on the sidewalls.  I don't have any Continental sidewall decals, but I do have some Goodyear sidewall decals by Slixx and I used those instead.  I'll let this dry a while and then I'll give it a coat of Testors Dullcoat.

More Mustang to come...

GT425.JPG

GT426.JPG

GT427.JPG

Thanks Atin!

Well, I do have to admit, adding decals to the tires and coating them with Testors Dull Coat work rather well.  I like it so much I had to do a mockup with the body!

More Mustang to come...

GT428.JPG

GT429.JPG

GT430.JPG

21 hours ago, Bennyg said:

Very nice. How are you going to do the tail lights? That’s the only issue I can see coming up. I’m loving the kit so far.

Ben

I have heard of some people saying that they had trouble detailing the taillights.  I haven't though much about it yet.  Basically, paint the back of the taillights with transparent red and then detail the front of the taillights.  We shall see when I get to that bridge...

13 hours ago, kpnuts said:

Looking great, I like the idea of highlighting the areas needing attention with pencil defo going to borrow that one it th future

I'm glad you like that idea!  I use a pencil when I have faint moldlines that are hard to see and I also use the pencil to indicate other issues that may need fixing.

Edited by mrmike