Model Cars Magazine Forum

how about a different type of altered

flatheadgary

i have been drawing pics and thinking about this for about 6 years, to build in 1-1 for the vw drag days we have here. so thought i might build it in 1/25th first. it's not very detailed, as i just wanted it to be a mockup for the 1-1 to see what problems i might encounter. i narrowed the body 4 scale inches which i will not do in 1-1. it caused some fit problems with the motor. i hope you find it interesting.

th_PA270031.jpg

th_PA270030.jpg

th_PA270029.jpg

th_PA270028.jpg

th_PA270027.jpg

;) WoW Gary, What a cool idea ! Ya know, It seems so basic and simple, I'm suprised it hasn't been built in a 1.1 rod. Or has it? ;)

well george53, they have been built as street rods since the late '60's but i have never seen a dedicated altered before. now, i have seen some street rods built and run at the track. the trouble i see with that is, they weigh to much! you might say, what weight? if you use the vw pan and front end, it's really heavy for a drag car. at least to me anyway. i built a street rod one in '76, which was a ball to drive but not on the freeway. i built a tube frame like a v8 t would have, it only wieghed 1275 lbs and would bounce all over the place. it could really scare you, when the wind and a bump on the road would send you into the next lane. i figure i can get this altered to weigh about 700 lbs. with a mild motor, i don't see why 12 seconds isn't possible. anyway, it was fun and i have been wanting to build another one for a while now but, more of a coupe type. like this:

th_IMG_0001-11.jpg

this is the street rod one i built in '76.

th_IMG_0012.jpg

th_IMG_0011-1.jpg

i hope this answers some of your thoughts about vw-t's

Edited by flatheadgary