Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1966 Buick Skylark Modified Stocker

THarrison351

I'm pretty sure this is covered in another topic so I won't cover it. This is one of the many annual molds AMT butchered in the '70s to give them new life and make more money off the existing dies without spending vast amounts on complete dies. I was one of the many kids who sought out these Modified Stockers and built them with too much glue and bad paint jobs. I no longer have any of the cars I built in the '70s, but fortunately someone discovered the molds and due to the nostalgia craze of the boomers, we got a second chance in the 2000s to build them again. So, as these were released, I purchased all of them. Unfortunately, one of the ones I remember building and looking forward to building again, never materialized. The 1965 Pontiac GTO. It turns out, AMT decided to reverse the modifications (poorly) and release it as a 3 n 1. I've looked for an original and even though they are out there. They're too expensive or too damaged as far as I'm concerned to try to build. Back to the ones I do have. 

I started building this soon after September 11, 2001. It's one of those things that sticks with with you. I built three in quick succession and then other things happened and I never built the others. Anyways, I tried to duplicate the box art. The green came out a little too dark.

06022017172-vi.jpg

0602201717a2-vi.jpg

0602201717b2-vi.jpg

0602201717c2-vi.jpg

06022017182-vi.jpg

0602201717d2-vi.jpg

06022017192-vi.jpg

• Like 2

Cool! I’ve created both a 63 Valiant and 66 Falcon Modified Stocker, both based off the Falcon kit but I couldn’t use the no detail chassis so I did my own thing with full detail chassis.

lf you want a GTO, why not use a stock kit with the stocker parts from the Skylark kit ?

On 6/10/2020 at 3:27 PM, Tom Geiger said:

lf you want a GTO, why not use a stock kit with the stocker parts from the Skylark kit ?

On 6/10/2020 at 5:49 PM, Snake45 said:

Right! You sure can't use the GTO kit to build an accurate looking stock GTO! :lol:

I have thought about butchering a stock 65 GTO with another Modified Stocker.  Wouldn't take too much to duplicate one. I think the wheels, and hubs were shared with one of the kits. It should be easy now that they are being released again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...