Model Cars Magazine Forum

JUN Akira Supra tribute build

Mattilacken

Got some yellow on the body and wing. Still learning how to mix the paint and use the airbrush and it’s hard. My ADHD does not comply well with airbrush so I might just go back to tamiya TS for the body’s in the future.

Any suggestions what went wrong and how to fix it?

Paint is modelmaster Acrylic and thinner is Vallejo Airbrush thinner. Working around 30psi. Had the first mixture to around 3/1,5 next mixture felt better but I added in the pot so I don’t know the ratio. First mix made the orange peel. I am using an Aztek brush.. wish I bought something else, it’s a pain to clean.

2AF5AED6-70A7-44CA-BAA2-2171958A5FF1.thumb.jpeg.fab467368c2e6535ac74d3da43097ad3.jpeg266A5F8C-CDB5-485C-8CC9-6A31065EE87E.thumb.jpeg.7420a89e8bfefc118324b2991a044f57.jpeg

Edited by Mattilacken

So i did a test with my airbrush from the local auto store, it costed me about $30 10 years ago. It sprays way better than my new gun... no spits and the pattern is what I want from my gun. So the new one went for sale to chip in on a new airbrush, suggestions? Would like to spend a maximum €150 for the gun, gravity fed I presume, and as easy as clean as possible since I have no patience for that.

A wet sand and an second coat with the old gun and it looks better. Will need clear after I make my decals.

992E7240-D365-438C-9401-578BFF85B2A5.thumb.jpeg.7d5a15b0f5a6c8c87002b8a3d2171b10.jpeg0AF2A4E8-8775-486B-BABA-8B90D91FDBA6.thumb.jpeg.d5274a1428c519ecab341a614faa60d6.jpeg

Edited by Mattilacken

Yes it's difficult using airbrushes! I tried some years ago and now just use spray rattle cans and get some fantastic finishes without all the hassle of mixing this and that and having the hassle of cleaning everything airbrush side afterwards! I even do hydro-dip where you have a tub of warm/hot water spray on the the surface with various acrylic colours, stir and dip the body in or other parts you want coloured!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PatW said:

Yes it's difficult using airbrushes! I tried some years ago and now just use spray rattle cans and get some fantastic finishes without all the hassle of mixing this and that and having the hassle of cleaning everything airbrush side afterwards! I even do hydro-dip where you have a tub of warm/hot water spray on the the surface with various acrylic colours, stir and dip the body in or other parts you want coloured!

Worked better with my cheep one than my other one. But a good rattle can is easy and Tamiya makes some really good ones.  Cool with hydrodiping! 

23 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Worked better with my cheep one than my other one. But a good rattle can is easy and Tamiya makes some really good ones.  Cool with hydrodiping! 

I ALWAYS use rattle cans!, and Tamiyas are awesome!!! -very self leveling as well!!!

9 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

I ALWAYS use rattle cans!, and Tamiyas are awesome!!! -very self leveling as well!!!

Okay! Yes they are, Much smother than my airbrush skills! If a master as you use them they definitely will do the part for me!

7 hours ago, Madhatter said:

looks great - despite the paint issues. Speaking of which, if your looking for a good airbrush, I'll suggest having a look at the Iwata HPC+ (its the one I have). IMO, its a very good airbrush and is very easy to clean

thanks! I think a polish and clear sorts the paint now. :) okay thanks! 

Made some huge progress today! The JUN decals are on! Still have to ad some more sponsor decalS before putting on the clear but I am so stoked to get the custom decals on!! Took 4 tries before I managed to put the big one without damage to the text. Think I added to little liquid decal on the print. 

O.. and a question for every one following.. shall I put racing numbers on the sides or not... I am thinking that it might have been competing in JGTC?

5D4F6CA1-AE33-4AEE-94F0-BF9FA151CFE2.thumb.jpeg.276d0766d0e9e4128cd033d5cdb08220.jpegA57F35B5-6090-4615-9756-247A763CF9E7.thumb.jpeg.44171910149823318aa559e45d54da7e.jpegE34BE400-E5FF-4226-A1A6-5208D5D88A90.thumb.jpeg.4b0b1d01a92805816fdb2b49ccede6e0.jpeg

Edited by Mattilacken

16 hours ago, slusher said:

I am so glad your fixing it. We all have had model mishaps. She is looking very sharp. Adding numbers would look good if you do...

Thanks, it feels good fixing it, would have been typical me to stash it away. Yes she is looking way better than before. Will put the last decals on and then clear and black trim.  I will try with numbers to night and see if I like it, thanks for the imput! 

5 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Hay, that's looking good. I was reading back through page one and seen the shelf disaster! gutted:( You've made great progress now and the paint is looking so much better, much more shine to it.

Thanks! The custom made decals are not as bought once, allot different so needed som practice! Yes that was harsh, but as you say, it looks better now! 

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed the steering which was damaged and glued fixed. It also has a very small steering angle due to the counstruction.. and the bigger rolling stock hit the plastic wheel wells. I just had to do it so I could make the classic photo when done. 

E7380567-3AAE-4EB8-BEA7-8C84A4E3D208.jpeg.ffcc88f299f7c59d455aa52d49357f58.jpeg

Edited by Mattilacken

looking great!

I spent a lot for an Iwata, and then got a knock-off generic airbrush from Amazon for about 1/10 of the cost, and I have to say, I am very impressed by the quality of the knockoff. 

https://www.amazon.com/GotHobby-0-3mm-Gravity-Dual-Action-Airbrush/dp/B005H3FMBW

Also, in the future, make sure to do all your masking and and darker color spraying before putting any decals down, even if under a clear coat. Ask me how I know this!!

19 hours ago, tmathew1us said:

looking great!

I spent a lot for an Iwata, and then got a knock-off generic airbrush from Amazon for about 1/10 of the cost, and I have to say, I am very impressed by the quality of the knockoff. 

https://www.amazon.com/GotHobby-0-3mm-Gravity-Dual-Action-Airbrush/dp/B005H3FMBW

Also, in the future, make sure to do all your masking and and darker color spraying before putting any decals down, even if under a clear coat. Ask me how I know this!!

Thanks! Nice to bad that it wasn’t available here in Sweden, will go to my “local” (250km away) hobby shop at the next opportunity and have a look at their cheaper brands and see if I find some one that look good. 

Thanks for the tip! I noticed that and I guess that you did what I did.. I pulled of tre of the decals even after clear.