Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rastta

1947 Chevrolet Fleetmaster Aerosedan by Galaxie

Recommended Posts

Just finished this up this week.  Yesterday we had to say goodbye to our pup Lana of 12 years to cancer.  Since I knew it was inevitable - this became a tribute build, and I named the car after her.  What better way than by creating personalized License plates for her.  So back to the car.  This was a great model kit - very nicely done with outstanding detail and good fit.   Almost no flash anywhere - and they attached the chrome to the tree in a way that didn't affect it hardly at all when you removed it.   I sure wish they made more different models. It's painted in Testors Extreme Lacquers, Star Spangled Blue and Graphite Dust, with Testors Black Lacquer and then a couple coats of the Extreme Wet Look clear. I tried my hand at "lacing" after seeing a car at a show which had done it. Bought some dollhouse curtains online which wound up working out ok.  I do wish the pattern was a bit smaller and I was a bit less heavy handed with the rattle can, but I'm happy overall with how it came out.   Not my best chrome trim job.  I also noticed after taking pics the hood had shifted a bit  - it fits much better than it looks - although I hadn't installed the hood hinges yet.  The kit offers multiple build options but I built it lowrider style - dropped.  Also tried my hand at "burlwood" painting - like the originals were done.  Top of the dash came out so so - but tops of the doors came out ok.  Overall I'm happy with the results - and hopefully can improve upon them next time.

 

0610201506.jpg.f0cff19386ff5b61683776c43ccdfc74.jpg0610201506_HDR.jpg.f6d0fb545c3c69a82600f7befc8e21b8.jpg0610201506a.thumb.jpg.9d93fca8b7d9b51b0efe299d62c5719c.jpg0610201506b.jpg.b34dcd8a76e1a5a0aca9ac4746214689.jpg0610201506c.jpg.24e2247029ae8b93772265f0e8a54fd3.jpg0610201507.jpg.8ff89022b10d58a91b18d0d33fe20005.jpg0610201507a.jpg.f358c771a25232e3726ed44014f52891.jpg0610201507b.jpg.668fae8ba00d43119875791276c8c8a4.jpg0610201507c.thumb.jpg.3a7b529bbecf8f9bcdd947d33fb77a0a.jpg0610201507e.thumb.jpg.7298996d62c9d4d697b1acc44d42abf6.jpg0610201508.thumb.jpg.698979fb7eb617cb6413904e848c0bf6.jpg0610201508_HDR.thumb.jpg.1cacd33816647db6e70bed568a5fe25a.jpg0610201508a.thumb.jpg.38cfadd79ba1d308cd9b7c21cb034375.jpg0610201510_HDR.jpg.048aefff10db1942ece74dd67e8835e3.jpg0604201228_HDR.thumb.jpg.cdaad2ecae713979b09962570d361f6f.jpg0604201229_HDR.thumb.jpg.9dd21d881e4bbd26cfd647e7bce555c0.jpg0610201238_HDR.thumb.jpg.a701b11d402ed0f6e4499945fcf4107c.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful looking finish and I like the lace roof treatment. You mentioned that you went with the lowered suspension. I ask since I have this same model on my work bench now. I followed the kits instructions and a little more for the front for their lowered suspension and it seems to sit a little lower.  The upper body chrome trim looks like the kits provided trim. Did you consider the rest of the trim or didn't care for it ? I'm very sorry to hear of your Lanas passing. They can really leave a big hole in your heart when they are gone.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Model is very cool. Sorry to hear about the dog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking finish and I like the lace roof treatment. You mentioned that you went with the lowered suspension. I ask since I have this same model on my work bench now. I followed the kits instructions and a little more for the front for their lowered suspension and it seems to sit a little lower.  The upper body chrome trim looks like the kits provided trim. Did you consider the rest of the trim or didn't care for it ? I'm very sorry to hear of your Lanas passing. They can really leave a big hole in your heart when they are gone.  

I did just the kits designed lowered front and rear.  If I remember correctly - you just flip the spindle and swap sides or something like that.  Rear was just adding block to the springs that they provided to drop the axle.  The hood ornament and badge were provided and the badge was the 1947 option, the strip below the window is foil.  I also opted to add the 1948 grill shield because I liked the look. The only other trim I didn't use was the hood side badges, just liked the clean look a bit better.  I'm still thinking about the "windshield shade" which is chrome and doesn't look that good to me in that finish.

Losing her was tough - but just like this car - she was sleek and sexy, but a bit wide and low. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just getting ready to start one of these. It will be my 1st Galaxie Ltd kit. I just finished my 1st Trumpeter kit, and it was a great kit, very detailed, but just fell together. I'm doing the Aerosedan in dark cherry pearl, and hoping to get the front end a lot lower. I kind of wish the body was one piece, but I'll see how it goes together. If I like the way it ends up, I'll probably get one of the coupes or sedan deliveries. Wish me luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, rastta said:

I did just the kits designed lowered front and rear.  If I remember correctly - you just flip the spindle and swap sides or something like that.  Rear was just adding block to the springs that they provided to drop the axle.  The hood ornament and badge were provided and the badge was the 1947 option, the strip below the window is foil.  I also opted to add the 1948 grill shield because I liked the look. The only other trim I didn't use was the hood side badges, just liked the clean look a bit better.  I'm still thinking about the "windshield shade" which is chrome and doesn't look that good to me in that finish.

Losing her was tough - but just like this car - she was sleek and sexy, but a bit wide and low. 🙂

Thanks for the suspension info. That is the same way I'm doing mine, it just looks much lower is why I asked. With the lowering blocks in the back I had to remove the bumper stops on the frame to get the differential to clear. I also cut a little of the front coil springs and bent the lower control arms up a bit. This is a learning curve for me since this isn't the normal style of build for myself. I'm wanting to try something different and I'm basing mine on a car I saw in "Car Kulture De Luxe" magazine. They featured a '48 Convertible in their latest issue. Not to rattle on about my build. Again I really like how yours turned out and I'm going to try that paint treatment on a future build. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, espo said:

Thanks for the suspension info. That is the same way I'm doing mine, it just looks much lower is why I asked. With the lowering blocks in the back I had to remove the bumper stops on the frame to get the differential to clear. I also cut a little of the front coil springs and bent the lower control arms up a bit. This is a learning curve for me since this isn't the normal style of build for myself. I'm wanting to try something different and I'm basing mine on a car I saw in "Car Kulture De Luxe" magazine. They featured a '48 Convertible in their latest issue. Not to rattle on about my build. Again I really like how yours turned out and I'm going to try that paint treatment on a future build. 

It was a bit odd that the front stayed so high.  You did about as much as you could to change it - It seemed a bit complex so I didn't want to mess with it and screw it up 🙂  I do like that style though with the front up a bit higher than the rear.  Something about the lines on these cars that works with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks amazing, great work!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the kind words.  Really enjoyed this build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very beautiful build Joe!  I love the colors and you did a great job on the lacing, it creates a very nice visual effect!  Sorry for the loss of your beloved dog Luna, it's always hard to have to let them go! 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely gorgeous!  Sorry about Lana.  That's tough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nice ol' Chevy...those Galaxie kits are nice, I just finished the coupe & am working on the sedan delivery...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...