Model Cars Magazine Forum

need help making a dodge charger concept

i am trying  to make the 1999 dodge charger r/t concept  i bought two kits i figured would be the best for making it but  after starting to mod the one body and getting ready to kitbash the parts from the other i realized some issues i not sure  how to resolve in how to join them together into the right shapes and angles i hope someone here can help me figure it out 

1999 dodge charger concept collage.jpg

IMG_8870.JPG

IMG_8869.JPG

IMG_8871.JPG

IMG_8872.JPG

IMG_8873.JPG

IMG_8874.JPG

IMG_8875.JPG

IMG_8876.JPG

Edited by michelle

Not exactly sure how to get there from here, but I think it's going to be with a lot of scratch building with sheet material. I don't think the Viper parts will help much. The prototype is too square edged and flat compared to the Viper being a big, fat bubble. 

The biggest problem with the production Charger body is that it ended up so far removed from the prototype. It's a shame really, that prototype looks a lot better than what ended up being offered. The newest Charger looks closer to the original idea, but I don't think there is a model available for that.

Looking at the prototype and what Dodge was doing back in the 90's, it's clearly based on an Intrepid with maybe some Viper or Prowler parts underneath. They basically put the next generation giant size quarter panel on an otherwise low profile body. There are Intrepid models, but the only ones I found are Nascar models which don't really look like the real car. You might as well start with what you have.

The good thing is, the prototype is square edged and flat. It could be done with a lot of flat sheet.

You'll have to chop the Charger body down a lot to get the prototype's low dropping hood line and there doesn't seem to be any reference photos of the drivetrain and engine bay. If it were me, I wouldn't bother with a drivetrain and just build it with a closed hood. It would save you a lot of frustration. Focus on the body and close up the bottom promo style with just the oil pan and exhaust sticking down. 

I'd think about grafting the windshield, A pillars, and front section of the roof from a 2015 Mustang to the back half of the Charger roof. Only because they're really close to what you need, and readily available. I'm just not sure about the width, though, might be too narrow. Maybe someone has one they can measure.

You might be able to start with quarter panels from a '69 charger and build from there. Or just shape them from flat sheet.

The rear bumper from the charger is close enough you could get a lot of the shape you'll need at the back end.

This is an ambitious project, look forward to seeing it.

That's an ambitious project. I like what you did with that Challenger Diamante concept!

Call me crazy, but I don't see much Viper in the Charger RT concept. To me, the drop of the front fenders and the shape of the nose look a little more like a Firebird- that drop is what you want to capture, and the Viper nose . Maybe keep the Viper as-is since you didn't cut it up yet, and start looking for an early 2000's Firebird kit? Or perhaps a newer Revell Ferrari California.    

3 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

That's an ambitious project. I like what you did with that Challenger Diamante concept!

Call me crazy, but I don't see much Viper in the Charger RT concept. To me, the drop of the front fenders and the shape of the nose look a little more like a Firebird- that drop is what you want to capture, and the Viper nose . Maybe keep the Viper as-is since you didn't cut it up yet, and start looking for an early 2000's Firebird kit? Or perhaps a newer Revell Ferrari California.    

thank you  and i have a 2002 35th anniversary  camaro parts kit  would that work  

4 hours ago, Mike Young said:

Not exactly sure how to get there from here, but I think it's going to be with a lot of scratch building with sheet material. I don't think the Viper parts will help much. The prototype is too square edged and flat compared to the Viper being a big, fat bubble. 

The biggest problem with the production Charger body is that it ended up so far removed from the prototype. It's a shame really, that prototype looks a lot better than what ended up being offered. The newest Charger looks closer to the original idea, but I don't think there is a model available for that.

Looking at the prototype and what Dodge was doing back in the 90's, it's clearly based on an Intrepid with maybe some Viper or Prowler parts underneath. They basically put the next generation giant size quarter panel on an otherwise low profile body. There are Intrepid models, but the only ones I found are Nascar models which don't really look like the real car. You might as well start with what you have.

The good thing is, the prototype is square edged and flat. It could be done with a lot of flat sheet.

You'll have to chop the Charger body down a lot to get the prototype's low dropping hood line and there doesn't seem to be any reference photos of the drivetrain and engine bay. If it were me, I wouldn't bother with a drivetrain and just build it with a closed hood. It would save you a lot of frustration. Focus on the body and close up the bottom promo style with just the oil pan and exhaust sticking down. 

I'd think about grafting the windshield, A pillars, and front section of the roof from a 2015 Mustang to the back half of the Charger roof. Only because they're really close to what you need, and readily available. I'm just not sure about the width, though, might be too narrow. Maybe someone has one they can measure.

You might be able to start with quarter panels from a '69 charger and build from there. Or just shape them from flat sheet.

The rear bumper from the charger is close enough you could get a lot of the shape you'll need at the back end.

This is an ambitious project, look forward to seeing it.

thank you 

All the help, advice & reference material in the world won't do you a bit of good if you don't master the basics, plan out a build such as this, & take the time to do it right. You're extremely prolific, but slowing down, concentrating on your work, planning it out & working on problem areas are keys.

Before I'd have started cutting anything, I'd have done the research, asked questions & laid in the kits & supplies, (such as Evergreen or Plastruct styrene sheets), needed to accomplish something like this, even if it's not an exact replica, but inspired by the 1/1 car. I'd also have a set of digital calipers, (mine were $12 or so at Harbor Freight, not expensive at all), a 6" straight edge & a miter box & a razor saw.

Next up, based on your prior posts are several grits of automotive sandpaper. Many of your models show a very rough & unfinished appearance, (even when you haven't used any putty), like you hit the body with some 180 grit & then threw on the paint. 180 or so is the grit to start with, not to finish with. Check Walmart's auto section or the local parts store, (NAPA, Advance, Auto Zone, whatever is nearby), & get from 180 to at least 600 grit for basic bodywork & sanding. Higher & smoother grits than 600 are also recommended.

There's no need to rush a build. This isn't a race or a competition. You don't get extra points for finishing a model in 2-3 days, or whatever. The longer that you work on it, (& having the proper tools, down to putty, cement, paint & paint brushes as well), the better your models will look. Blobs of roughly sanded putty under a paint job that shows sanding scratches from rushing really doesn't impress anyone, & makes models look crude & poorly finished at best.

There's a lot of good advice, tips, techniques & info to be found on here & other places online. Start with that. Right now you seem to be constantly biting off more than you can chew, & it shows. Master the basics first. Everything flows from them, everything.

Edited by StevieB

While StevieB has some valid points, that doesn't mean you can't do it your way.

To my eyes, a late model corvette may be the best place to start getting the general shape of the concept car and then graft on the shapes and elements that make it recognizable as the concept car.

And you may find that you may need to just put all the parts into a box and save this project for later.

1 hour ago, blunc said:

While StevieB has some valid points, that doesn't mean you can't do it your way.

To my eyes, a late model corvette may be the best place to start getting the general shape of the concept car and then graft on the shapes and elements that make it recognizable as the concept car.

And you may find that you may need to just put all the parts into a box and save this project for later.

There is indeed nothing wrong with Michelle doing it "her way", as I mentioned:

"Before I'd have started cutting anything, I'd have done the research, asked questions & laid in the kits & supplies, (such as Evergreen or Plastruct styrene sheets), needed to accomplish something like this, even if it's not an exact replica, but inspired by the 1/1 car.."

Such a build might be more easily accomplished by doing it as "inspired by", instead of attempting a replica, as no matter what kits one starts with, a lot of scratch building & modification of kits parts would be required for that. That's why measuring, (& I'd go as far to say that blowing up as many photos of the 1/1 to 1/25th scale & measuring those would be the 1st step), everything before cutting up a single part of the body or other parts needing modification is simply essential in a project such as this.

However, she did ask for advice. And, to try to start her down the right path to building something like this, I gave the straightest, most honest & helpful advice that I could. Many here have just offered vague, "try this kit or that kit" comments, without addressing the first steps, measure & plan accordingly. Especially since it's very obvious that such a project, exact replica or not, is going to require a lot of styrene sheet, putty, sanding & scratch building to be anywhere near successful. Kit parts for the body in the case of this concept car are going to be suggestions of the shapes at best.

I really admire Michelle's enthusiasm & ambition. But, those two traits alone won't get a person very far in completing something like this successfully, without patience, the right tools, the right material to work with, the right reference material, & having a firm grasp of the basics.

Edited by StevieB

1 hour ago, blunc said:

would a 95 corvette be concidered a late model vette or would something more newer like a 2009 to 2014 vette 

So, I was cruising Ebay today and saw something that made me think of your project. '91 to '92 Pontiac Trans Am GTA. You could almost build your whole front end with the parts from that car. The hood is almost perfect, the fenders are almost just right, and the nose has the right kind of shape and size. Cut the 'egg crate' holes in the nose, come up with some headlights, finish with some putty, boom!

29 minutes ago, Mike Young said:

So, I was cruising Ebay today and saw something that made me think of your project. '91 to '92 Pontiac Trans Am GTA. You could almost build your whole front end with the parts from that car. The hood is almost perfect, the fenders are almost just right, and the nose has the right kind of shape and size. Cut the 'egg crate' holes in the nose, come up with some headlights, finish with some putty, boom!

thanks 

On 6/13/2020 at 3:20 PM, michelle said:

would a 95 corvette be concidered a late model vette or would something more newer like a 2009 to 2014 vette 

I think Mike Young has found a better starting shape of car to work with.

Michelle, I deeply admire your creativity in wanting to scratchbuild something not available as a kit. However, you picked quite a "doozy" for a first project and I wouldn't want you to get frustrated and discouraged if it doesn't come out easy.

If you do want to continue with this endeavor, I suggest using side profiles to get the general shapes right.

20200616_144615.jpg.23f688d194b50d9606c2e7051e2e0fd7.jpg

I would start from the bottom and work your way up. Side fenders, I see a lot of Ferrari and 2007 Corvette blended together. The roof could be from the Charger kit that you have now, but chopped and recontoured. 

Lots of Sheet plastic and putty is going to have to go into this one. There just isn't a lot of readily available parts for this. Are you sure you're ready for all of this modification?

I would suggest start with projects that have simpler mods. Smaller changes, but big on impact. Maybe try making an early 50s mild custom or even a 70s Corvette. Just to get your building skills down first. You can do a lot of scratching and puttying on one of those without having to redesign a whole car.

And always remember to do most of your custom work in plastic or some solid base. Don't rely on putty alone to make heavy changes. Putty is easy to shape but won't hold up on it's own without a firm backing. Let it be the final finish to smooth out imperfections, not the "go to" to hide sloppy bodywork.

Good luck, and make it fun! 

16 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Michelle, I deeply admire your creativity in wanting to scratchbuild something not available as a kit. However, you picked quite a "doozy" for a first project and I wouldn't want you to get frustrated and discouraged if it doesn't come out easy.

If you do want to continue with this endeavor, I suggest using side profiles to get the general shapes right.

20200616_144615.jpg.23f688d194b50d9606c2e7051e2e0fd7.jpg

I would start from the bottom and work your way up. Side fenders, I see a lot of Ferrari and 2007 Corvette blended together. The roof could be from the Charger kit that you have now, but chopped and recontoured. 

Lots of Sheet plastic and putty is going to have to go into this one. There just isn't a lot of readily available parts for this. Are you sure you're ready for all of this modification?

I would suggest start with projects that have simpler mods. Smaller changes, but big on impact. Maybe try making an early 50s mild custom or even a 70s Corvette. Just to get your building skills down first. You can do a lot of scratching and puttying on one of those without having to redesign a whole car.

And always remember to do most of your custom work in plastic or some solid base. Don't rely on putty alone to make heavy changes. Putty is easy to shape but won't hold up on it's own without a firm backing. Let it be the final finish to smooth out imperfections, not the "go to" to hide sloppy bodywork.

Good luck, and make it fun! 

thank you    and  i wish i could find some of those old customizing kits  from the mid  60's to mid 70's  for a really low price were i could get  a few of them at one  time   cause i saw several different ones i would love to build  when looking for parts  for some of the vintage model rebuilders i have 

My two cents. Hold off on doing the charger concept until you've gotten a few simpler customizing projects under your belt.

Since you've already have the srt kit how about doing the following concept. Do it as a curbside and don't worry about an engine work on getting the customizing process down. Also work on doing more surface preperation for painting. Paint will not hide flaws. 90 percentage of painting is prep and 10 percent is application. Your application is free of drips and runs.

My advice as have others have given is to plan out what you want to do. As the carpenters adage goes measure twice and cut once. Loooking forward to seeing what projects you do in future.

download (1).jpeg