Model Cars Magazine Forum

MGB GT From C1 Models

GeeBee

This will be very welcome. 

Aoshima recently re-released the Roadster as two kits; a early chrome bumper and later 'rubber bumper'. Later one includes newly tooled RoStyle steel wheels which is lovely. 

I'd like to build a late model rubber bumper with the Coupe body.

The pic that Geoff posted at the beginning of this thread of a C1 models MGBGT Body looks great. The Aoshima roadster moulds have done the rounds between different companies so should be obtainable relatively easily as fodder for his conversion. Having seen  the GT body it will be interesting to see what other allied parts will be included in this trans kit. There will certainly be many MGBGT owners and ex owner modellers very interested in this.

Matt Bacon mentioned in one of his replies about obtaining a Wills Finecast white metal Rover V8 engine. Matt, I think that South Eastern Finecast (ex Wills Finecast) still supply the engine you are looking for. HTH.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

3 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

Yes! I will definitely be taking one as soon as they're available. I'll have to get another Aoshima MGB into the shop as soon as I can. lol

You can usually find either the Revell Germany or Airfix version of Ebay pretty cheaply, there the Aoshima kit reboxed, obviously if you want the Ro-Style Wheels you need the later Aoshima kit

35856SDC18705.jpeg

47679DSCF0166.jpeg

Very good to know, but the Aoshima kit's in current production which means at the moment it's just a matter of my distributor getting them back in stock. I've been waiting on a restock for about a month and a half, and now I've got a reason to go "one for the shelf, one for the shop".

3 minutes ago, peteski said:

That body looks great. I always hoped that someone would come out with a nice rendition of that MGB body style. I find the coupe quite elegant (maybe even more so than the convertible).

When I was working at British Leyland I wanted one of the last MGB GT's, they had all been reserved so I had to have a TR7 Coupe instead 

mgb-gt-le_33073.jpg

On 6/22/2020 at 10:28 AM, peteski said:

That body looks great. I always hoped that someone would come out with a nice rendition of that MGB body style. I find the coupe quite elegant (maybe even more so than the convertible).

I believe the coupe body was a Pininferina design.

On 6/15/2020 at 5:12 PM, GeeBee said:

You can usually find either the Revell Germany or Airfix version of Ebay pretty cheaply, there the Aoshima kit reboxed, obviously if you want the Ro-Style Wheels you need the later Aoshima kit

35856SDC18705.jpeg

47679DSCF0166.jpeg

Interstingly, the Airfix kit includes parts for both the chrome bumper and the rubber versions. If you get the new Aoshima releases its one or the other.

Aoshima kit includes lovely PE MG badge too! And on the rubber bumper version gets the ROstyle wheels.

Don't know anything about the RoG kit though. 

I read somewhere that the Airfix MGB kit also has 2 dashboards, for right or left hand drive.  Can anybody confirm that?

If true, it seems like the 2 dashboards would still be in the latest Aoshima kits.  So I suspect it's either an Urban Legend or my memory misfiring (again).

11 hours ago, beeRS said:

Interstingly, the Airfix kit includes parts for both the chrome bumper and the rubber versions. If you get the new Aoshima releases its one or the other.

The new Aoshima Rubber Bumper kit still has parts for either Rubber or Chrome Bumper cars.  I just checked mine, it's the last Aoshima Rubber Bumper re-issue in the white box. The chrome grille, bumpers and wire wheels are still in the box, on the chrome sprue.  They're just not mentioned in the instructions, and the parts are grayed-out on the parts layout drawing.  But they are definitely in there. 

I had an older Aoshima Rubber Bumper kit and it was the same way, with parts for both versions.  I don't know if the Chrome Bumper kit had all the parts, maybe not.  The new RO-style wheels are on a separate sprue, molded in white.

4 hours ago, Mike999 said:

I read somewhere that the Airfix MGB kit also has 2 dashboards, for right or left hand drive.  Can anybody confirm that?

If true, it seems like the 2 dashboards would still be in the latest Aoshima kits.  So I suspect it's either an Urban Legend or my memory misfiring (again).

I'll dig mine out in the morning and check, it's in the hobby room somewhere.....

I built the Revell version 10-odd years ago, I don't have any photos of the parts before assembly but I don't remember it having alternative dashboards or rubber bumpers. Built up nicely, although I should have reduced the ride height - as standard it's correct for the rubber-bumper models but looks a bit off-road for an earlier chrome-bumper version.....

image.jpeg.30cd022c0ad4e334c1f7cfffe455c8a9.jpeg

I don't know why I opened up the bonnet when it doesn't have en engine.