Model Cars Magazine Forum

Heavy Metal '59 Corvette

gjorenby

Remember the opening scene of Heavy Metal where the 1959 Corvette drops out of the shuttle bay while in orbit and then descends to the planet surface?  Well here is my build of that car!

The base kit was the AMT '59 Corvette which was not the most glamorous of kits to work with.  But with a little sand paper, some photo etch, and paint, I think it turned out ok.

Customization included redesigning the passenger side dash so it is open, photo etch emblems all around, interior door knobs, photo gauges, carpeting, and I had to add in correct white wall tires and hubcaps.

But most importantly, I added in the ridiculously oversized parachute pull to the passenger seat area, just to make it a little more movie accurate.

If you are wondering what the heck that's all about, google Heavy Metal Corvette and watch the video.

Enjoy!

8F7A7408.jpg

8F7A7407.jpg

• Like 3

Looks great. Funny thing is I think I've heard all of the music from the movie and love it all, but I've never actually seen the movie itself despite loving hard rock and being 15 years old(prime viewing age for it) when it came out. Not to mention all these years I could have and should have watched it since then. Hard to figure, lol.

18 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Looks great. Funny thing is I think I've heard all of the music from the movie and love it all, but I've never actually seen the movie itself despite loving hard rock and being 15 years old(prime viewing age for it) when it came out. Not to mention all these years I could have and should have watched it since then. Hard to figure, lol.

OMG you MUST see it as soon as possible! One of my absolute favorite movies of all time. I have the special DVD box set with all the extras and goodies and this thread reminds me I need to watch it again soon. 

Taarna....:wub:

I saw the movie in the theaters when it came out in the 80's, and have the soundtrack. Pretty decent flick. Now I'm going to have to find it again, after seeing the referenced Heavy Metal Corvette video, and the Hanover Fiste segment.

While Elon Musk referenced "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by placing a "Don't Panic" sign on the dash, I bet he also had Heavy Metal in mind when he launched a Tesla sports car on SpaceX. (Sorry about the size, but I couldn't control that).

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 11.36.43 AM.png

Edited by sjordan2

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...