Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salvinos Cale Yarborough "Hardees" Monte Carlo

baycolony

Presented is the 1984 "Hardees" Chevy Monte Carlo NASCAR stock car driven by Cale Yarborough. This is a Salvino JR upgraded kit from the original 1/24 Monogram molds. It is "box stock" with the exception of the addition of ignition wires. The body is painted with MCW lacquers and clear coated with decanted UPOL clear.  I was a bit disappointed with the amount of cleanup necessary on every part, and the glass fits poorly.  Decals were stellar, and I like the chrome.  Overall, it finishes into a nice representaion.

HardeesMC (4).jpg

HardeesMC (1).jpg

HardeesMC (2).jpg

HardeesMC (6).jpg

HardeesMC (7).jpg

10 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

Turned out really well. In the original Monogram molds, the front windshield fit from the outside. Did Salvinos change that design? Here's a sample from an old kit I just unearthed from storage.

I don't know if they changed that but there was a tab on  both the windshield and the back  glass that had no purpose so I cut it off to make it fit easier.  It never would have fit from the outside.  There was no edge to fit it to and it curved on top like a lip for the inside of the roof so I fit it by trial and error and this was the best I could do with no specific guide.  In retrospect, after mating the body I noticed that I should have mounted it a bit lower but there was no way to know this when you install it.  The sides weren't shaped right for the angle of the A pillars either. 

Edited by baycolony

7 hours ago, baycolony said:

I don't know if they changed that but there was a tab on  both the windshield and the back  glass that had no purpose so I cut it off to make it fit easier.  It never would have fit from the outside.  There was no edge to fit it to and it curved on top like a lip for the inside of the roof so I fit it by trial and error and this was the best I could do with no specific guide.  In retrospect, after mating the body I noticed that I should have mounted it a bit lower but there was no way to know this when you install it.  The sides weren't shaped right for the angle of the A pillars either. 

I haven't seen the new releases yet, but I heard they didn't come with molds for the glass or tires when Salvinos acquired them from Revell.

Mr. Harrison, you are correct, sir.  The glass is installed on the outside.  I viewed a review of the kit and saw that it does fit but has to be installed after the body attaches to the chassis so the curvature of the dashboard can help situate it. (the instructions show it being installed prior to this which causes the problem). So I removed the glass, sanded the glue residue, repainted the tinted section, and will reinstall it.  It is certainly not a tight fit upon dry fitting it, but it seems the fit can be improved if it is forced against the curvature of the dashboard and securely glued.  I will post an updated picture when finished.  Thanks again for your input.  This was the only thing I couldn't live with on this kit.

• 2 weeks later...

built the Allison flat nose Monty and the glass never fit. Kit is same as the Hardees car with the flat nose added. Didn't seem to be enough curvature in the glass. After trying several times finally used super glue to get it in fogged the glass. You did a great job on yours I have the Legends version of that car with Powerslide decals hope it turns out as nice as yours.

• 3 weeks later...

You did a great job with the kit.  It looks really stellar.  As far as the front glass, they tried to fix a problem the original Monogram kits had and that is the dash interfered with the glass and created a gap that started about half way down the glass.  Unless someone was willing to do a lot of surgery, we had to live with this.  Below is my build of the original Monogram kit and you should see the gap.  I have not purchased a Salvino's kit of this model or the sister kits, so I have no first had knowledge at how successful they were, but your front glass looks a lot better than mine.

IMG 1460

I sincerely hope you do not think that I am trying to hi-jack your thread. I am trying to show what Salvino was trying to fix.

I built one of these kits back in the day and don't remember having any problem with the glass. It was a Waltrip car I converted to a Dale Sr. Car. maybe the Aero coupe was different. The flat nose Monte glass was a bear. Glass never did fit correctly. I pulled out and old Monte kit last evening and the kit glass fit better but did have some issues. At least that's the way I remember it.

On 7/17/2020 at 4:23 PM, Jim N said:

You did a great job with the kit.  It looks really stellar.  As far as the front glass, they tried to fix a problem the original Monogram kits had and that is the dash interfered with the glass and created a gap that started about half way down the glass.  Unless someone was willing to do a lot of surgery, we had to live with this.  Below is my build of the original Monogram kit and you should see the gap.  I have not purchased a Salvino's kit of this model or the sister kits, so I have no first had knowledge at how successful they were, but your front glass looks a lot better than mine.

IMG 1460

I sincerely hope you do not think that I am trying to hi-jack your thread. I am trying to show what Salvino was trying to fix.

That looks great too!  The liveries back in the day look better than modern day to me for some reason.

• 5 weeks later...