Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yellow Camaro from Gumball Rally...AMT 1970 1/2 Baldwin-Motion Camaro.

Dragonhawk1066

All finished with the Yellow Camaro from one of my all time favorite movies, The Gumball Rally. This one includes a few firsts for me building and detail wise. I kit-bashed my own custom hood, cut out the front valance for the parking lights, and added heater hoses, all for the first time. I also used a lot of parts from other kits to get the most accurate representation that I could.

The body is done in Vallejo Model Colors Light Yellow that didn't turn out as pale as I had hoped, but still looks fairly close to the movie car. I used pledge/future for my clear, and added BMF for the window trim and did other various details. The hood was made with the stock hood from the AMT '70 1/2 Z28 kit and the scoop from the Revell '67 Nickey Camaro kits' stinger hood.                                                                                                       

The interior is actually just done in Stynylrez black primer for the seats, with Jet Black craft paint for the dash, door panels, and seat trim, with a satin varnish giving some gloss. The CB radio and underdash gauge cluster were "borrowed" from unstarted kits that I didn't plan on using them for anyways.

The motor is also from the  Z28 kit, as I needed a small block for this project. I added plug wires and heater hoses for some extra detail. The headers came from the Revell '67 Chevelle Pro Street kit. The chassis is also just Stynylrez black primer with Jet Black suspension pieces. I made the "cherry bombs" from parts of an unused roll cage in my parts box. I did have to lower the front end to get a decent ride height, and tried my hand at doing some weathering that I think turned out fairly decent.

I could have done a little better on the hood, the scoop sits a little high and isn't as smoothly done as it could have been. I don't know if I'm completely happy with the headlights and parking lights, either. All in all though, I am very happy with the overall results and still just need to exercise more patience to do a better job. Although I was initially a little disappointed with the mold issues on the passenger side of the body that I think I was able to fix fairly well, this kit was a pretty good and fun build and I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to get started on the Z28 kit that I plan on doing as a pro touring car, and I'll probably buy more so I can do some stock-ish versions as well, since this is my favorite Camaro body style. Sorry for the long post, thanks for looking!

DSCN4328.JPG

DSCN4330.JPG

DSCN4331.JPG

DSCN4333.JPG

DSCN4335.JPG

DSCN4338.JPG

DSCN4344.JPG

DSCN4270.JPG

DSCN4322.JPG

DSCN4346.JPG

On 6/13/2020 at 4:11 PM, michelle said:

nice looking camaro

On 6/13/2020 at 4:48 PM, MININORTHFORDMAN said:

great replica! Love it!

On 6/13/2020 at 5:04 PM, Nazz said:

This turned out very nice. Great job with the paint. I don't remember the movie though. Might have to look it up.

22 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

Looks great!

21 hours ago, Chuckyg1 said:

Nice Camaro. That dash is swee.

12 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

35 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Very very nice!!

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it!

Good job finishing a car from my favorite movie.  It's not easy to find online, guess it's a cult film that would be banned nowadays anyway.  Some scenes were filmed in Prescott, this Camaro blasted up and down 89 south of town, known as White Spar.

21 hours ago, spencer1984 said:

That's awesome, nice job!

Thanks Bill!

21 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Good job finishing a car from my favorite movie.  It's not easy to find online, guess it's a cult film that would be banned nowadays anyway.  Some scenes were filmed in Prescott, this Camaro blasted up and down 89 south of town, known as White Spar.

Thanks! My goal is to do as many participant cars as I can.

20 hours ago, Lizard Racing said:

GUMBALL!!!  The Camaro looks great, given not a lot of research material is around.  

This movie convinced me the producers knew about cars:  Which car didn't make it out of the garage; which car broke in two.  I just got a DVD of the movie from Amazon.

Thank you! Yeah, unfortunately not a lot of reference material, but just enough to get the job done. It would have helped if I had the movie, but for some reason I haven't bought it yet. Go figure?.

14 hours ago, slusher said:

Gorgeous Camaro!

Thanks!

13 hours ago, matthijsgrit said:

That's a very nice build!

Great solution for the number plate ?

Thank you! My printer didn't want to cooperate enough to give me a decent correct plate, so I improvised and went with my home state and a shout out to the movie title. Maybe eventually I'll get a better printer and update it.

8 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

It looks great in yellow, looks like it goes fast!

Thanks! Wish I had it in real life to find out, lol.