Model Cars Magazine Forum

Grand Sport Corvettes

thanks for replies  and interest  in my project.

9 hours ago, Dave B said:

Looks interesting William. If you do Jim Hall's don't forget to pancake the bonnet bulge!!

Dave B

yah i wish  someone made the correct hood,  will need to fabricate/modify   2 hoods  and remove  rear oil cooler  behind  back glass.  as   005  went to Sebring  in 65  they kept the flat hood  but new paint job. the Accurate Miniatures kit  has the decals , but only  restored  version hood with louvers.

2 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Very nice start to another great "fleet" of 60's racers.  I'm guessing we will seeing some GT350R's at some point.

a fleet of gt 350 R 's   are on  the list  at some point.  along  with a fleet  of    289 comp cobras,  330p4 Ferrari's  ,  Lola t70's, Chaparral's...........   i think that is why i build in bulk.

2 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

I am going to be watching closely to see which ones you come up with.  I see yellow wheels so that must be the Penske roadster.

yes,  and your photo's  have been great reference!  Restored  versions are almost  always different  then how they raced  and i like making  raced  versions not  restored.  the   roadster kits   by  HRM    are  really detailed and look  accurate.

Corvette_GS_005_1965_#2_Sebring_Wintersteen-Goetz-Diehl_front colour.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

Corvette_GS_005_1964_#67_Road America_Hall-Sharp-Penske_4.jpg

Edited by 65slotcar

2 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I’m looking forward to this. Been looking at my two Grand Sport kits and wondering if my skills are up to the kit yet. 

go for it !   the kit is fairly   easy.  hood louvers can be tricky  and  get a set of headers  from HRM  .   Headers from kit don't  clear frame very well.

Oh yeah, love this topic.  I have 3 of them built,  White one - IDK which one - very first issue, #2 Blue/white one and the Delmo Johnson car from the AM version with VRM decals.  My favorite race car of all times.  I have a handful of hte Eagle's race 43rds, and the Monogram 1/32 slots, including a roadster conversion to the Wintersteen car.   

There was the racingicons website that won't open today, that detailed the restoration and preservation of the original body.   I STUDIED that site a lot when building my later kits.  I hope it's not gone.  I've read that over several times AFTER I built my kis.  Just not lately apparently.  

And OMG, the Simeone museum says the GS were better handling than a Cobra.  They've never read the friedman book, evidently.  Where they talk about the front end lift nearly floating hte front wheels?  And that the Wintersteen car is unrestored?  The BODY maybe, according to the racingicons site.   That site said that hte Wintersteen body was removed and preserved, but they restored/rebuilt everything else on the car.    So who on the internet do you believe?  

BUT I will be following this along as it goes.   Wish I could get all the stuff to build more of these.   Good tires, headers, decal, kits, etc.  BUt I just don;t think I'm up to funding a couple more correct ones.   And I would like to have the three Mecom cars that raced early.  Again - lots of funding to do them correctly.   And research.  So I'll just follow this.   ?

On 6/20/2020 at 4:30 PM, 65slotcar said:

Corvette_GS_005_1964_#67_Road America_Penske-Sharp_493.jpg

I wonder what kind of tape they used to tape to close off the front hood scoops. In this photo and all other photos I have seen it sure looks like the hood openings were molded closed. It seems too smooth with no detectible edges to be tape and in this photo there is even a bit of reflection on the left edge. In the book Corvette Grand Sport by Paddock and Friedman it does say on page 84 that the "hood scoops have ben taped shut" and on page 93 there is a photo from practice at the same Sebring 64 event with open vents ahead of the scoops.

that is a good question,    i did the  #4  car with tape  and from the race photo  you can see the tape edge.     i  think  the 67 car will look better with molded in hood scoop  ,   even though  it may not be correct.

Corvette_GS_005_1964_#4_Sebring_Hall-Penske_005.jpg

IMG_0054.JPG

13 hours ago, 65slotcar said:

from the race photo  you can see the tape edge.     i  think  the 67 car will look better with molded in hood scoop  ,   even though  it may not be correct.

Corvette_GS_005_1964_#4_Sebring_Hall-Penske_005.jpg

Yes I can see the tape edge in this photo. I must say they were good tapers but then again Jim Hall definitely was a perfectionist. And yes the 67 will look great with a molded hood in my opinion. Your build has got me to pull out my kit. I have some of the HRM parts and Model Car Garage detail set. My current project is the Chaparral Camaro so would like to a Grand Sport as a follow.

Edited by Phildaupho

I *think* the cars orginal cars had the molded hood.  Then they had to be opened up for more air for the Webers.   Originally they had a different intake setup?   I really need to find my book.  I'm sure someone else here will probably know as well.   The hoods changed a lot through the years.