Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Alaskan Hauler

Nick,

The only time you would have seen trucks like this in Alaska is back in the 1970s when they were building the Alaskan Pipeline.  Hill & Hill was one of the contractors that hauled the Vertical Support Members up the Dalton to the Pipeline.

7 hours ago, Jim B said:

Looking nice so far.  Good looking paint.

3 hours ago, Jim B said:

Nick,

The only time you would have seen trucks like this in Alaska is back in the 1970s when they were building the Alaskan Pipeline.  Hill & Hill was one of the contractors that hauled the Vertical Support Members up the Dalton to the Pipeline.

Thanks Jim. Also thanks for the information as well. 

4 hours ago, High octane said:

Didn't notice those kind of trucks when I visited Alaska a few years ago, however I wasn't lookin' for them either. I would love to build big rigs again, I simply don't have the room for them.

Thanks Nick. There’s always room for one or two big trucks, lol.

Yeah, they are "all business" and no show.
I found one for a fair price a while ago so I do have one in my stash for a future build.
It's not much different from the regular W925 kit, everything is still there and four small sprues with the Alaskan Hauler specific parts are added with the hood, radiator/grille, headache rack, front bumper, fenders, a large propane tank for the frame, a 16-speed Spicer transmission instead of the old 5 X 4 and a few other bits and pieces, and no chrome plating.

Edited by Force

On 6/21/2020 at 7:25 AM, plastic trucker said:

has anyone ever thought of making a resin conversion kit?

I’ve thought about moulding it up. I have to figure out how to do it. Knowing my luck, round 2 will release it ? 

1 minute ago, Bennyg said:

I’ve thought about moulding it up. I have to figure out how to do it. Knowing my luck, round 2 will release it ? 

Well, that would work.  Round2 will reissue the wide nose & you can cast up the narrow nose.  Win-win!

1 minute ago, Jim B said:

Well, that would work.  Round2 will reissue the wide nose & you can cast up the narrow nose.  Win-win!

I have been researching the narrow nose version. I’ll need to run a tape over the real thing or have access to a spec sheet with top view perspective.