Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint a License Plate?

I am attempting to paint a ‘chrome’ finish license plate with raised letters. The directions say “wipe black paint into the number plate and rub off the numbers before dry.” HA!

A get all black if I wipe too little or all chrome if I wipe too much. I’m using Tamiya acrylic paint. Of course, the image on the box shows exactly how it should like.

Is there a method to do this properly?

I'm sure more experienced modelers have some other methods but I sometimes use the side edge of a pointed toothpick but after dries (when using acrylic only) to actually scrape the paint off.

Also the side of a Q-tip after setting a little.

I'll be waiting for some more suggestions with interest.

3 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

I'm sure more experienced modelers have some other methods but I sometimes use the side edge of a pointed toothpick but after dries (when using acrylic only) to actually scrape the paint off.

Also the side of a Q-tip after setting a little.

I'll be waiting for some more suggestions with interest.

That's the best way to do it in my opinion.

The type of paint can be anything that will not attack the chrome finish, but to be safe, acrylic craft paints are completely benign.

It's really no different than the way that I do a number of these sort of tasks, from body badging, to hubcaps and grilles.

Wiping the paint while wet will generally net you nothing more than a smeared mess.

Steve

1 hour ago, espo said:

An alternative to the Q-Tip you use to clean your ears is the firmer pointed type that can be found at most hobby shops. 

Agreed!

Much better control and a finer tool than a Q-Tip.

I only use Q-Tips for heavier tasks, like cleaning my air brushes.

Steve

I would paint the license plate, then put a piece of paper towel on a smooth flat surface (like apiece of glass or whatever else you have that is flat and smooth), gently place the plate painted-side-down on the paper towel, and gently drag it across for some distance. Put very little pressure on the plate while dragging it - just have it barely contacting the paper towel.  That should remove the paint just from the raised areas.  To aid in the process you might lightly moisten small area on the paper towel with whatever paint solvent is normally used to thin the paint.  But do not soak the paper towel - just moistened it, then gently drag the plate over that moist area, finishing the dragging movement over dry area of the paper towel..

Edited by peteski