Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do any resin casters offer a copy of the "corrected" Revell '69 Mustang front end?

I'm glad Revell finally got around to addressing this issue on their recent Boss 302 release, but I can't fathom buying a whole new kit for one piece, especially when I have 4 of these languishing in their boxes. 

bb36.jpg.ad359296c8cfd6ddeb3bea9ac51db90c.jpg

Yes, I've heard about the "Russian" fix-it kit, but after the initial buying frenzy, I never saw anybody post builds using them on here. 

Edited by Monty

On 6/17/2020 at 5:02 PM, vamach1 said:

Here is the DMold on the Revell Mach1 body that I was going to covert to a 69 Boss 302 and then we know what happened.  At least I can get the correct engine now.

IMG_8102.JPG

IMG_8103.JPG

IMG_8104.JPG

Mine came out a little better, as I "massaged" it 7 ways til Sunday. I haven't started on my Boss 302 yet.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 9:10 AM, Dale Gribble said:

I guess I don’t see where that super rough casting makes it better . Looks like a mustang to me . 

With the old version of the '69 Mustang, the problem is that the outer headlights are noticeably lower - I'd wager by a scale inch or so - than the inner grille mounted headlights, which on the actual car are in nearly a straight line across. The DMold resin set and the new '69 Boss 302 kit both correct this egregious error which had kept the 428 Cobra Jet kit out of circulation after being massacred in print. 

Well-preserved Mustang Mach 1 with 428 Cobra Jet power

The problem actually seems to be rooted in the front fender shaping of the 1/10 master for the Revell '70, which was issued  in 1/24. The body design was rescaled to 1/25 for the '69 kit; obviously the flaw wasn't seen for what it was until the '69 headlight parts were applied.

Edited by mk11

2 hours ago, sfhess said:

This carried over to the 1970 Mustang kits as well.

23 minutes ago, mk11 said:

The problem actually seems to be rooted in the front fender shaping of the 1/10 master for the Revell '70, which was issued  in 1/24.

The 1/24 Monogram '70 Boss 429 Mustang kit debuted in 1981. There was no connection between Revell and Monogram then, and not until six or seven years later did they begin to merge. The Revell branded '70 Boss 302/Mach1 Special Ediion kit was also 1/24 scale, and based upon the earlier 1/24 Monogram Boss 429 design/master.

That said, the new 1/25 Revell '69 Boss 302 Mustang, while based on the old 1/25 Revell '69 Mach1/CJ kit/master/designs, has a corrected nose and costs $20. That seems a small  (and very fair) price to pay for something far closer to correct right out of the box.

• 1 year later...

That picture from the box really doesn't do it justice. Here is a couple of pics of a Boss 302 I created from the Mach 1 kit long before the new release.  The chrome bezels for the headlights weren't used and I just applied the lenses to the inside of the buckets after painting the edge chrome.  It gives the impression that the buckets are deeper and much more appealing.

IMG_20220321_171459.jpg

IMG_20220321_171335.jpg

• Like 2