Model Cars Magazine Forum

1941 Plymouth PT 125 Pickup

THarrison351

The 1941 Plymouth PT-125 pickup differed little from its 1940 predecessor or, for that matter, from the 1939 model. And with good reason; Plymouth may have known its truck venture wasn't long for this world. The 1939 Plymouth trucks had been thoroughly revamped with a new cab and totally different styling that no longer imitating the passenger cars. Rather, Plymouth finally had give its trucks a huskier look more suited to the breed. But not everybody liked the new look. Critics said the front fenders were too bulbous and the hood to high and rounded. On the other hand, the rear fenders were fully skirted and all fenders sported "speedlines" to impart a feeling of motion. In a major change from pre-1939 models, the cab was moved forward and the pickup box lengthened. This changed the proportions enough to lose the long-hood look of the mid-1930s models. Plymouth was now able to advertise a "big roomy 3-man cab [with] oversize dimensions." Sealed beam headlamps were added for 1940. The price jumped to $625 for the 1941 Plymouth PT-125 pickup, though styling changes were modest: cowl-mounted parking lights, headlights moved out to the centerline of the fenders (looking rather frog-eyed), a neat chrome "V" on the vertical front edge of the grille, and nameplates moved to the center of the hood. Horsepower of the famous L-head six rose to 87. The options list included many heavy-duty extras and, since the basic truck was quite spartan, Plymouth listed a number of safety and appearance items: right-hand taillight, dome light, chrome headlights and cowl lamps, chrome windshield frame, grille guard, dual horns, sun visor, inside mirror, and spare wheel lock. (All of the above cost a mere $32.) Plymouth trucks were built on the Dodge truck line but in much smaller quantities. In 1941 only 6,073 Plymouth pickups were built, while Dodge delivered more than 54,000 half-ton trucks to the government alone. (howstuffworks.com)

I found this the other day while plundering my stored diecasts and models. I knew I had it, I just hadn't seen it in years. Because the Dodge and the Plymouth pickups are so much alike, Danbury Mint released this a few years after the 1941 Dodge diecast was released. Not much was required to make it a Plymouth, the grill, top hinged hood pieces and the tailgate are the only items that differ. I know I hunted for awhile to find a nice one on eBay at a reasonable cost. They don't seem to be as common as the Dodge and demand a little more money. There are also Motormax Plymouth trucks out there that some try to pass off as Danbury Mint. The details on the little flathead six are may favorite part on this model.

06062014342-vi.jpg

06062014332-vi.jpg

06062014352-vi.jpg

06062014362-vi.jpg

0606201435a_HDR2-vi.jpg

0606201433_HDR2-vi.jpg

0606201435_HDR2-vi.jpg

The details on the little flathead six are may favorite part on this model.