Model Cars Magazine Forum

'64 Fairlane Sports Coupe

Plowboy

I scored this builtup on ebay a while back for a decent price. When I saw it, I thought it was just buried under a lot of paint. Especially judging by the fitment of the grille. This is what it looked like when I got it. 

20200411_115334-1.jpg.be454da0345b63b0bc04664b6e80debe.jpg

20200411_115311-1.jpg.068a71f27ed23c24f4f47c02de961d82.jpg

20200411_115400-1.jpg.a0919da5a22b1b2eba4f435c188e9c7e.jpg

Just like a full scale, I had no idea of the sins below that nasty yellow paint! As soon as the paint finally started coming off, I knew it was going to be a tough one. The roof was literally wrinkled from lacquer burn. The passenger side C pillar had had a big glue blob that had melted and sank. Still, I thought I could handle the roof if that's all of the burn. It wasn't! The body also had lacquer burn! Although, it wasn't nearly as bad as the roof or I would have just pitched it and chalked it up as a loss. After tons of sanding starting with 220 and working up to 400, I think I have something I can deal with.

20200617_132628-1.jpg.2931be5175b039f46eb0639b157ee452.jpg

20200617_132648-1.jpg.f552b22502c0ac2402f95cb634d5b427.jpg

20200617_132727-1.jpg.64eb69f19ceab49d03251b980df2006c.jpg

The plan is to use the Revell T-Bolt for the chassis, floorpan and core support. The engine is undecided at the moment. I definitely won't be using the big block. I've already done two of those. Not sure right now. It depends on what the body looks like in primer. If it's still too rough, I'll probably just build it as a curbside. Fingers crossed! 

If anyone has the 2n1 version of the Revell T-Bolt to sell or trade, please send me a PM! I thought I had another one in the stash. But, I don't. 

Edited by Plowboy

You have a big undertaking here. I have walked away from model bodies with the issues you have described. A thought on the drivetrain. Ford offered a K Code 271/289 4 speed package on these just like the early Mustangs. Just an idea, or a more standard 289 and Automatic. I like the Thunder Bolt chassis idea as that would give you a much better detailed chassis to work with.   

14 hours ago, espo said:

You have a big undertaking here. I have walked away from model bodies with the issues you have described. A thought on the drivetrain. Ford offered a K Code 271/289 4 speed package on these just like the early Mustangs. Just an idea, or a more standard 289 and Automatic. I like the Thunder Bolt chassis idea as that would give you a much better detailed chassis to work with.   

The worst part should be done. I've done the chassis, floorpan and core support swap a couple of times. The interior is a little tricky with the coupe body vs the sedan. I learned that lesson with the '63 I built. I'm definitely going with a small block this time so that I can get it down low. I almost have the body ready for a light coat of primer. Once that's done, I'll know what I have and how I'll proceed.

3 hours ago, Plowboy said:

The worst part should be done. I've done the chassis, floorpan and core support swap a couple of times. The interior is a little tricky with the coupe body vs the sedan. I learned that lesson with the '63 I built. I'm definitely going with a small block this time so that I can get it down low. I almost have the body ready for a light coat of primer. Once that's done, I'll know what I have and how I'll proceed.

The T-Bolt is a Revell product and your Fairlane I think is from AMT so there is bound to be some factors there but nothing that you couldn't overcome. I think I remember building one of these a long time ago and thought that AMT had the body looking correct. I had a neighbor who owned one of these with the 271/289 and I remember it since it had the distinct solid lifter sound and the exhaust note left no doubt as to what it was. So I look forward to seeing how your build goes.  

It's really worth saving if it's possible as the 1964 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe kit was issued only once.
The interior is different between the Sports Coupe and the Sedan, but you might already know that, and I don't know if the Revell interior tub will fit in the old AMT body as the roof line is different, I have not tried that myself.
If it does fit the upholstery on the back seat is wrong for a Sports Coupe anyway,  the Sports Coupe was top of the line and had vinyl upholstery, bucket seats and console so you might have to do with the AMT interior.
I used to own a 64 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe with a 289 2V and C4 myself so I will follow this.

9 hours ago, espo said:

The T-Bolt is a Revell product and your Fairlane I think is from AMT so there is bound to be some factors there but nothing that you couldn't overcome. I think I remember building one of these a long time ago and thought that AMT had the body looking correct. I had a neighbor who owned one of these with the 271/289 and I remember it since it had the distinct solid lifter sound and the exhaust note left no doubt as to what it was. So I look forward to seeing how your build goes.  

The kit is an AMT. I've done a couple of other AMT models using the Revell '64 Fairlane, a '61 Comet and a '63 Fairlane last year. So, I kinda know what to expect. It should be no different than the '63. But, I know how that goes too.

1 hour ago, Force said:

It's really worth saving if it's possible as the 1964 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe kit was issued only once.
The interior is different between the Sports Coupe and the Sedan, but you might already know that, and I don't know if the Revell interior tub will fit in the old AMT body as the roof line is different, I have not tried that myself.
If it does fit the upholstery on the back seat is wrong for a Sports Coupe anyway,  the Sports Coupe was top of the line and had vinyl upholstery, bucket seats and console so you might have to do with the AMT interior.
I used to own a 64 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe with a 289 2V and C4 myself so I will follow this.

I plan on using most of the Sports Coupe interior and just use the floorpan from the Revell sedan. The door and quarter panels are a little faint with the Sports Coupe. I may swap those if there aren't any big differences between the two. If there is, I'll try to scribe the originals. They'll definitely need arm rests added. 

16 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I plan on using most of the Sports Coupe interior and just use the floorpan from the Revell sedan. The door and quarter panels are a little faint with the Sports Coupe. I may swap those if there aren't any big differences between the two. If there is, I'll try to scribe the originals. They'll definitely need arm rests added. 

The pattern for the doors and quarter panels are the same for both so that will work, they need arm rests as you mentioned and the sedan doesn't have any cranks for the rear side windows.
The Sports Coupe has bucket seats with folding back rest and the seats in the Thunderbolt's are buckets but rigid lightweight Bostrom seats from a Van so they are not correct for the Sports Coupe, but the seats from the Thunderbolt can be made to work if they are detailed right.
You also need to use the center console as all 1963-64 Sports Coupe's had them, Ford used consoles from the 1962-64 Galaxie 500XL/Mercury Marauder S-55 in the 1963-64 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe.

Nice save of the body.

Edited by Force

16 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

Nice work cleaning that up. Thoughts on color?

Charlie Larkin

Right now I'm thinking either Citrus Yellow on the body and interior with a black roof  or Mica Silver with a Dull Red roof and interior.

1 hour ago, Force said:

The pattern for the doors and quarter panels are the same for both so that will work, they need arm rests as you mentioned and the sedan doesn't have any cranks for the rear side windows.
The Sports Coupe has bucket seats with folding back rest and the seats in the Thunderbolt's are buckets but rigid lightweight Bostrom seats from a Van so they are not correct for the Sports Coupe, but the seats from the Thunderbolt can be made to work if they are detailed right.
You also need to use the center console as all 1963-64 Sports Coupe's had them, Ford used consoles from the 1962-64 Galaxie 500XL/Mercury Marauder S-55 in the 1963-64 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe.

Nice save of the body.

I have the Sports Coupe interior. So, none of that is an issue. I just have to cut it apart and make it work with the Revell floorpan. If possible, I'll use the Revell door and quarter panels also. That would make the interior a little easier. I'll just have to make the package tray shorter.

I have body sanded once again and ready for final primer. I was actually surprised at the shape it was in. Just had a couple of spots that needed more attention. 

20200623_154433-1.jpg.da0e24360622789562b635e420186ea1.jpg

I drilled out the headlights to prepare for reflectors and lenses. I actually broke the driver's side. The styrene it's made from is so brittle! I'm hoping the Revell grille will fit so that I can open it. No way I would attempt it with this grille. I also cut the hood trim away and glued it to the hood.

20200623_154618-1.jpg.68ef02ec90ad804719f36ca2ea7541f5.jpg

I cut the tail panel loose from the rear bumper as it has a hole busted in it that had been repaired. The trunk got cut loose and detail added to the underside. I added the rain gutter and gasket detail to the opening. I had to add a filler panel between the tail lights to have something to glue the gasket detail to. I'll also be adding latch detail to it.

20200623_154700-1.jpg.5b2f893ea84162241e085e8b621405f1.jpg

The interior is now cut apart. The Sports Coupe door panels are different from the sedan's. So, I'm going to improve them the best I can. I'll add arm rests, window cranks and door handles. I reworked the bucket seats and added brackets to get them up off of the floorpan. The rear seat only needed the bottom portion leaned back slightly. It may need to be trimmed to fit the Revell floor pan. Have to see when I get that kit in hand. The dash got repaired and the ashtray, glove box and defroster/speaker grille lines scribed in. 

20200623_154158-1.jpg.429b0f7ad7941d4e528a9536280153f4.jpg

Still a lot to do once I get the donor kit. But, I'm making pretty good progress.