Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best adhesive for resin kits?

I have used epoxy reasonably successfully on resin. Is there anything better to use on large flat  mating areas?  Would gel cyano  be any better, as I have not tried it on resin? Any help would be appreciated. I am a UK based modeller and recognise UK trade names, so if any of our American friends replies please describe the type of adhesive you recommend as I may not recognise US  trade names. Many thanks.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

I tend to use the yellow or white (never the blue) multipacks of superglue from poundland, usually the packs have 5 smaller bottles but they seem to go pretty far in use but you have to make sure your part is lined up as it sticks fast but with use you will notice it can be removed again for the first 2 or 3 mins but after that its stuck for good. Applying a little more pressure than normal halps it stick hard right away. Also if you look in there, take a look in the make up section as there is packs of velvet nails but really its a selection of flocking. Theres also nail art brushes in the same section that are great for small details. Avoid their plastic clamps though, utter garbage

Over the years I've tried so many different Cyanoacrylate adhesives, I've been using Everbuilds products for a while with great success, once is a slower setting, the other sets within around 10 seconds 

s-l1600.png

10893.jpg

The thinner CA glue is (less viscous), the faster it will set. Reverse is true too - thick stuff takes longer to set.  CA glue is ideal for bonding urethane resin.

I also don't think that the brand of CA glue makes much difference.  CA is CA.

Ya to me ca is the way to go, I prefer thick formula. Right now I'm trying some that says Gel Maximum strength. It's true that it seems strong enough, the gel is questionable, it seems more like just thick to me . I've had gel for arrow knocks and fletching vanes before that was really gel and very strong. But this stuff works, it's a bit slow to kick but holds well. It's a Crazy Glue brand here in the States, comes two small tubes in a blister pack. I prefer small tubes like that and use one completely up and not toss so much when it goes bad because I didn't go through it fast enough. Now for my ca glue finishes on Christmas ornament wood turnings, there I prefer thin and in a bigger container. Just sayin.

I also use ca glue in fly tying sometimes.

12 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Thanks for the help and feedback about the CA guys. I had a feeling that the gel CA may be the way to go.

Well, it all depends on how fast you want the glue to set. I prefer fast-setting CAs for most of my modeling.