Model Cars Magazine Forum

POSTING PICTURES

When you write your post, look under the message box and you will see a area to drag or attach your pics to next the paperclip. Just drag the pic into the box from whatever folder you have it in and it will br hosted on the mcm board.

Edited by stitchdup
spelling

10 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

When you write your post, look under the message box and you will see a area to drag or attach your pics to next the paperclip. Just drag the pic into the box from whatever folder you have it in and it will br hosted on the mcm board.

See screenshot below for what Leslie mentioned. Alternatively, you can click on the underscored "choose files..." and select images from your hard drive, files, etc.

image.png.5195fa75f474269f3b1a73b4339ad8a6.png

After you upload the file, it should appear in the box like so:

image.png.04c13942239b4f7f129101652b2077ee.png

Next, place the cursor in the body of your post where you want the image to appear (sorry, the cursor does not appear in a screenshot).  Then, click on the "+" symbol in the lower left corner of the uploaded image to insert it into the body of your post where you have placed he cursor. It will then appear like this:

image.png.ef08297a97b191d7fefff392a14a4195.png

Edited by Casey

I resize pictures on my computer before uploading them to the forum (among other  things to save forums storage space). I usually make them no larger than 1200 pixels across.  I use Corel Photo Paint, but there are lots of picture editing apps out there that can resize pictures.  Or just configure your camera or  smart phone to take smaller size photos by default.  You can post some photos here in this thread as a test.

Edited by peteski

On 6/20/2020 at 12:22 AM, Dave Ambrose said:

If you need to resize pictures, Irfanview is free, versatile, and handy. 

That’s what I use. The program is free and can be downloaded from different sites. Just be careful because some sites try to load other stuff along with it or change your browser settings

Edited by Tom Geiger

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

That’s what I use. The program is free and can be downloaded from different sites. Just be careful because some sites try to load other stuff along with it or change your browser settings

On 6/19/2020 at 10:22 PM, Dave Ambrose said:

If you need to resize pictures, Irfanview is free, versatile, and handy. 

I like Irfanview. Another free program I've been using using for years is FastStone Image Viewer. It has some pretty nice editing software, as well.

• 2 weeks later...

When I'm composing a post and I add photos, I can see them in the compose window.  I'm using a PC, not a tablet or phone.

If you want to go one step further, on top of the compose window (on the right side), there is a "preview" button.  But I never use it because I'm happy with what I see in the compose window.

Edited by peteski

• 1 month later...

Photo posting test

I want to see how big this photo will be when posted.

This is pretty big, how do I reduce the posted size? I'm using an i Mac and I checked Irfanview which says it's not available for Mac.

IMG_1289.jpeg.caeca3bf1a1f7e47a14e6b2852385119.jpeg

Edited by Roger U

2 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

I try to post only two pictures per post, cos if someone quotes on a ten picture post you end up with twenty pictures in the thread!

It's easy to get rid of those, just by clicking on each one and hitting "delete", before replying. I wish more people would do that.

3 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

It's easy to get rid of those, just by clicking on each one and hitting "delete", before replying. I wish more people would do that.

That is a peeve of mine too.  I guess  it would be too much trouble for some, and others probably didn't even think to do it.  Not only quoted photos can be deleted, then can be edited and resized.  Sometimes quoting a photo is necessary to the reply,. I usually leave the quoted photo but click on it and edit it to a smaller size (like 300 pixels across). like a large thumbnail).  I guess I like to do what I would expect others to do to make reading threads easier, with less needless scrolling through lots of quoted photos.

Long ago, we had problems with using too much disk space. We literally couldn’t find affordable hosting with enough capacity to host the board. That’s why we recommended using external hosting for photos. Now we have our own dedicated server and we can host our own photos. 

We didn’t emphasize embedding the photos until the Photobucket debacle  I still wish we could recover the photos from Harry’s builds.

the only downside to that is the size of our backup sets. We’re pushing 250 GB and growing at 8% per year. But, that’s okay. Backup disks are cheap and I have unlimited internet bandwidth. 

I always try to resize the photos I upload to be less than 1200 pixels across (which makes them around 1 Megapixel), making the JPG file size usually 200kB or less.  I really don't see the need to post high resolution photos to a forum, just to be viewed on a computer, or even tinier smart-phone screen.  That saves space on the server and makes the backups faster too. :)  Yes, it takes extra time and effort on my part, but I think it is worth it.

18 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Yes, I always try to be aware of file size. Generally, I use 1024 pixels wide, and keep my files under 100k. I go through my original images, crop them, resize them, then set the PPI to bring the file size under 100K. It's easy enough, and photos load faster, too.

LOL!  That reminded me of the early days of online forums where some people still accessed the Internet via telephone line modems.  When we posted larger resolution photos (and even those were really low-res compared to what we have now), we used to put a warning "not 56k safe" or "not 28.8k safe" in the subject line, so people would not get stuck waiting few minutes for the photo download over their slow connection.

5 hours ago, peteski said:

LOL!  That reminded me of the early days of online forums where some people still accessed the Internet via telephone line modems.  When we posted larger resolution photos (and even those were really low-res compared to what we have now), we used to put a warning "not 56k safe" or "not 28.8k safe" in the subject line, so people would not get stuck waiting few minutes for the photo download over their slow connection.

Oh, man! I surely remember those days! Hahaha

1 hour ago, Straightliner59 said:

Oh, man! I surely remember those days! Hahaha

Heck, I remember the days before we even had pictures of our models!

When I first got Internet, I ran a dedicated phone line to the computer directly from the box to computer with no breaks. It still sucked. I can still hear that modem dialing up AOL!

And I had a friend who told me that was as good and as fast as it would ever get! He held up a phone cord and reasoned that there was only so much room in that wire. I’d love to run into him today!

Edited by Tom Geiger

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Heck, I remember the days before we even had pictures of our models!

When I first got Internet, I ran a dedicated phone line to the computer directly from the box to computer with no breaks. It still sucked. I can still hear that modem dialing up AOL!

And I had a friend who told me that was as good and as fast as it would ever get! He held up a phone cord and reasoned that there was only so much room in that wire. I’d love to run into him today!

Yes, standard twisted pair copper phone line has a limited bandwidth.  It is around 3kHz (which is what was needed for low-quality human speech transmission. Of course the advancing technology  enabled to squeeze more bandwidth out of that 100-year-old copper wire technology.   If you were within short enough distance from the central office, the DSL technology allowed for fairly high data transfer rates.

Before internet I used to use my 300 baud modem to call bulletin boards (BBS) to read and post messages.  The 300 baud speed was a comfortable speeds to read as the text message was being transferred.  It was all text-only - no pictures.  Well, there was ASCII art, but that was painfully slow, so it wasn't user much.

1*B_bd4RYytGcw3ipAoJEJbg.jpeg