Model Cars Magazine Forum

Smitty's Deuce Coupe Pickup- Autoworld 1963

I saw this page in another thread. On the bottom of the page is a rear view of Smitty's Deuce Coupe Pickup. It says that instructions are available for build# 2325 for only $1.49. This is from 1963. I was born in 1963. This thing has captured my imagination. Now, I want to try to build it. Caption says that it uses the AMT '32 Coupe as a base. That's all the info I have, so far.  Could that be an AMT '34 Ford Pickup Bed? Was the '34 even around in '63? I do not remember the history of the '34 P/up kit. I like the Wide White Slicks in the rear. Can't see much of the engine. Looks like twin carbs, on some kind of highrise manifold. 409 mebbe? Do you think it uses the Coupe Chassis?

I'm on the hunt for a copy of the Building Instructions mentioned in the ad. Also looking for ANY more information, Pics, Ect. that might help with building a copy of this.

20200618_231108.jpg

Very interesting!.... 

You might be able to use the '32 Revell 5-window body for this build.. those rear nerf bumpers look like the ones from the AMT '39/40 Ford Coupe kit... I'm not sure about the pickup bed... Maybe one from the AMT '40 Willy's might work....

I've actually got the AMT Coupe kit, so there is that to start with. Looking at the picture, it looks like Chrome, Small Block Headers.

So, Maybe the Coupe's Engine? Those Salt Flats discs on the front are in some versions of the AMT '32 Roadster, as well as many old Lindberg Hot Rods.

The pickup version appears to use mostly parts from the '32 coupe kit.  The engine is a small-block Chevy with six carbs and curved intake stacks.  The Moon discs and chromed rear wheels are in early (pre-1976) issues of the coupe kit.

The '34 pickup was first issued in 1962, but that bed does not look like even a modified version of what came in the pickup.  I'm not sure if this build was covered in an early issue of CAR MODEL.  I'd scratch the bed, it would be easy enough to do.

The pickup version of the Willys wasn't available until 1969; by then the Deuce coupe kit was out of production.  The bed might be from a kit or could be scratchbuilt.  Sheet plastic wasn't common back then, so it could be balsa or even cardboard.  If you haven't got the article to follow, just scratch one, nobody will know the difference.

6 minutes ago, Mark said:

The pickup version of the Willys wasn't available until 1969; by then the Deuce coupe kit was out of production.  The bed might be from a kit or could be scratchbuilt.  Sheet plastic wasn't common back then, so it could be balsa or even cardboard.  If you haven't got the article to follow, just scratch one, nobody will know the difference.

Yep! How many of us here save those big pieces of junk mail laminated card stock you get in your mail box from wow tv???? I know I do.... You could build a vintage pickup bed with that stuff... Fenders, wheel tubs, etc, etc....

Smitty's deuce pickup was in the Auto World catalog at least as early as 1961 - I checked my copy. The only suitable pickup kits in that catalog were the Black Widow and AMT's 1925 T. The Black Widow might be the ticket.

I checked the first couple of years' worth of CAR MODEL magazine; none contained an article on the Deuce pickup.  The instructions may have been originally planned as a magazine article but not used.

That said, the build seems to be all parts from early issues of the coupe kit, with the body altered to add a scratchbuilt pickup bed.  Where to cut the body looks pretty obvious...just cut it, close off the back of the body, get it to set on the chassis at the right height, then scratch a bed to resemble the picture.